1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FIRST DRIVES Ford Focus RS

Discussion in 'Focus' started by Zafiro, Jan 18, 2016.

1. hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

That looks like a fun way to get around. Hopefully the chap makes enough money to get a proper length necktie. :p

Yeah, I am that guy.

2. AdvEvo

AdvEvo Active Member

I have had a Focus RS and sold it again. The car has to much electronic interference.

Front has an Ediff. It brakes the spinning wheel. I needs an mechanical Limited slip diff on the front axle.

Second when you left foot brake the electronics disconnects rear drive line. You have a front wheel drive car then. RS stands for Rally Sport????? Left foot braking is Rally!!!

If you pull the handbrake it disconnects the rear that s good. But it when handbrake is down it takes to long to connect the rear drive again.

When you steer into a corner the car brakes the inside wheel it feels awkward and not natural.

I thought i had bought and even better Mitsubishi Evo RS. But i didn t. So i sold the Focus pretty fast again.

If manufactures can not build proper drivers cars then they can keep their cars. Far to much electronics going on.

Most journalists find the car fantastic but most of the time they drive VW Golf diesel as there daily. And yes than it s a fantastic car.

But if you have driven and owned Evo RS, GT3, BMW M cars etc. The Focus RS is not quite there.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Zafiro

Zafiro Well-Known Member

Sounds like the perfect car to me. Not everyone got the skills like you or drives like you do Advevo :) Focus RS are sold to the general public, and most of them aren't skilled like you. I doubt many of those RS owners will ever see the track.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • AdvEvo

AdvEvo Active Member

That s maybe thru. I know a few more who have sold their Focus RS same reasons.

You don t have to be driving god to discover those short comings. If you do occasional trackdays you will find discover it you're self. And on a wet track even faster.

I never buy me a new car again with Ediffs or other electronic trickery.

Well we have a straight six at the front, a manual gearbox in the middle, and drive goes to the back. That is page one, chapter one of the petrolsexual handbook." / "Page two is off course a LSD mounted between the rear axle" JC

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

• Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

And that's the big problem, Andrea, with people that think they are Gods, when they are in fact mere mortals.

If you want to buy and drive such a car, you should have the skills to handle it. If you rely on electronics in order for them to make you look cool and fish for women, then you are just an idiot. A dangerous idiot.

Electronic nannies could be very well be the most dangerous part of a car. Irony intended.

• AdvEvo

AdvEvo Active Member

Yes so Thru.

But because of these idiots we get boring cars.

Porsche GT4 and GT3 RS also PTV system. It s braking it s wheels while cornering. I would not buy me those cars either. There should always a be a button to push that off. I don t want to drive thru corners and the car is braking each wheel to let you be a hero. For me those are boring cars.

• Zafiro

Zafiro Well-Known Member

Nice to know I'm an idiot because I want to feel safe and have some help of it gets out of control, for instance when the roads are wet when I'm out playing with my car on some lonely beautiful country roads. Only when the roads are dry then I turn off my systems in my ST.

Even my bike have traction control and ABS brakes, thats helpful when I'm having a good time. Look at this idiot!

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
        • Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

He thinks he's better than Valentino Rossi ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
          • AdvEvo

AdvEvo Active Member

It s good to have traction control PTV whatever as long there is button to shut if off and make the car pure.

• Zafiro

Zafiro Well-Known Member

Shmeee

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
          • Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

Ford Focus RS Drift Mode Was a Happy Accident
            Once discovered, it turned into one of the hatchback's biggest selling points.
            BY AARON BROWNJULY 28, 2016

75252986ff9c823835f358eb581d948c._.

As some engineers at Ford learned not long ago, some of the best things in life are discovered by accident: Play-Doh; Velcro; the Slinky; and apparently, even the Focus RS's Drift Mode.

One of the preset driving features on the new Ford Focus RS hatchback, Drift Mode helps the driver pull off uber-sick slides by sending up to 70 percent of the RS's power to the rear wheels, then further divvying up which of the rear wheels receives more of that torque to push the car around. While all that is going on, the car's computers monitor steering inputs and the degree to which the car is yawing to make sure the driver flawlessly executes his or her Ken Block-esque antics. (And as Ford will tell you, it was clearly designed only for track use.)

When Motoring.com.au spoke with Ford Performance engineering manager Tyrone Johnson, he explained that the vehicle configuration that led to Drift Mode was discovered largely by chance. A pair of the Focus RS development team members were fooling around in a prototype when the shotgun-riding tech began fiddling with the software controlling the all-wheel-drive system—only for the driver to find the tweaks "really cool."

“I guess it’s just because we are a bunch of crazy guys," Johnson told Motoring.com.au.

When the engineering team showed their discovery off to Ford's global head of product development Raj Nair, he demanded the feature be included in the production version of the car. Furthermore, Johnson, said, Nair was all-in on making Drift Mode a prominent part of selling the Focus RS.

"It was actually Raj who said 'We have got to market this, this is a cool feature. We need to make this a prominent part of the program, as opposed to a side note,'" Johnson said.

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

Nice full bore acceleration rest of the RS, I reckon this car will be quicker if it had a Dual Clutch gearbox. Its slower to 200km/h than the Golf GTI CS.

• Like Like x 1
              • Zafiro

Zafiro Well-Known Member

• Zafiro

Zafiro Well-Known Member

Drift fail!

• rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

• Makini

Makini Active Member

This car! :mad:

The thing reminds me of a tarted up old hag. Way too much make up... and no show. How the GTI Clubsport shows it up on a circuit despite the huge power deficit is beyond me.

• TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Member

• TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Member