1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

SPIED! Mercedes W212 E-Class Facelift: Renders, Spyshots, Etc

Discussion in 'E-Class' started by LaArtist, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athan

Athan Active Member

Every change past the front feels, I can go with. The car still retains its boxy design and is coherent. However, everything up front, the bumper, grille, and headlights look very soft compared to everything going on behind it. Even the alloy wheels are a straight edged design. I will definitely miss the quad fascia. I guess what I will end up doing is buying a 2013 model and try to retrofit the FL interior into it. Now if that were the facelift instead, oh what perfection it would have been.

Even from something simple like watching E-Class commercials. The car looks so stately and commanding and quite simply just makes the commercial. Take for example these two:

I don't think the facelifted W212 can pull off what the pre-facelift did on campaigns. The first commercial, especially, gives me goosebumps. I think it's MBUSA's greatest one ever created. It's powerful just like the car itself.
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  2. K-A

K-A Banned

Absolutely. No design harmony or coherency in respect to that. I love one-volume looks, a testament for a sort of design strategy employed. When designers start mashing up round and then boxy elements so closely on a car, it's clear they aren't designing coherency of a "language", they aren't "telling a story" with a design. They're throwing every trend onto a canvas to hope that something sticks.
  3. Athan

Athan Active Member

644284a912bb9b687a4e465faef07ca6.
    eedaf230d414bfb8bc39cecaa86450ab.
    d724b663fcc61905960d3dd311004689.
    50c0d59a4dd6da3d20b4d703fdaa134a.
    12a0ca65a763f4c7b53872e859090f85.
    90bd9d0e64a958a73afb504c897935f6.
    965b061dc86ef091885204bebb831039.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. yzbenz

yzbenz Active Member

facelift E
    do you like ?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  5. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

6. Athan

Athan Active Member

WOW, that looks crazy.
  7. Yaz

Yaz Well-Known Member

Those look legit. Need to see more.
  8. Mr. Mercedes

Mr. Mercedes Well-Known Member

It's such a departure from the pre-facelifted car I think more photos and a long period of digestion will be necessary.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2012
  9. bombardier01

bombardier01 Well-Known Member

WOW! I think it's a nice improvement especially for the side profile & interior. Looking good!(y)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. HighestOfHigh

HighestOfHigh Global Moderator Staff Member Contributing Member

7a026a16c6e355aa00e14440deec9be8.
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  11. shonguiz

shonguiz Well-Known Member

The new headlights is very organic, much less edgy than before and yet somehow, it feels very well incorporated with the rest of the car. First impressions are good.
  12. -=Hot|Ice=-

-=Hot|Ice=- Well-Known Member

Love it! Let the 'lines' b*tching begin.
  13. Mr. Mercedes

Mr. Mercedes Well-Known Member

No, your wrong Hot Ice. The bitching is going to be about the melding of organic and angular design idioms. ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. rurella

rurella Well-Known Member Premium Member

Very nice update, much improved.
  15. PHYBENZ

PHYBENZ Well-Known Member

Sports grill is pretty ugle. I like the luxury grill, mimicks the new S Class grill.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Athan

Athan Active Member

W212 PreFL vs FL.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. DocM

DocM Active Member

This is horrible quite frankly , it doesn't flow!! Benz is destroying their line up, the CLS lost its sleekness, the SL has an oversized bonnet, the slk is simply butt ugly , and lets not even look at the GL or GLK!!!
    Looking back , the last time Benz got the e-class right was the W124
    • Like Like x 4
  18. DexterMorgan

DexterMorgan Member

I disagree. MB's aren't very photogenic. I'd like to see one in person but from what I can tell, this is what the E-class should have been from the beginning!
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Oh god man you're ridiculous. That was 30 years ago, get with modern times.

M
    • Like Like x 1
  20. K-A

K-A Banned

Sports grille is hideous. Headlights are way too distracting and overdone to where they won't age good.

The front looks like a totally different car. Bye bye resale of pre-facelift, thanks to lousy timeless mapping by M-B designers.

Edit: Sides lost some flair by changing the Ponton lines, yet it looks more straightforward and easy to digest, yet lacks character.

The rear looks as plain and straightforward as the pre-facelfit I think, maybe a little more due to more monochromatic tones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.