1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

SPIED! Mercedes W212 E-Class Facelift: Renders, Spyshots, Etc

Discussion in 'E-Class' started by LaArtist, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PHYBENZ

PHYBENZ Well-Known Member

0df44b83f4cb8ace4a76adff1c7ab6ba.

• Like Like x 4
  2. SKY

SKY Well-Known Member

The grille has changed for the worse.

Automotix
  3. bombardier01

bombardier01 Well-Known Member

The new grille doesn't suit with the rest of the body which boxy & a bit old fashion. I hope they still offer the regular grille as well.

4. Those who say BMW are the ones to follow on the design front need look no further than the new 3 series GT that was just revealed without camo. If that is the direction our favorite Bavarians are going, MB fans needn't worry.

5. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

If thats the car the front been worse and the rear still looks like a Hyundai.

6. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

Some more diesel info. Are both the E250 Bluetec 2WD and the 4MATIC expected? :)

Mercedes to Launch Four-Cylinder Diesel E250 4MATIC, ML250 Here Next Year

5500e42b6cad5100f1f1c1e47ce33363.

It sounds plenty conventional for today’s auto industry: Mercedes-Benz will downsize engines in two of its cars next year, replacing six-cylinder engines with turbocharged inline-fours. But this ain’t conventional—these are diesels. This is a big move for Benz, and—at least in the E-class—we think it’s going to be a home run.

Some months after the heavily face-lifted E-class debuts in January, the turbo-diesel E350 BlueTec will leave this earth. In its place, Benz will sell an E250 BlueTec with 4MATIC all-wheel drive. The engine is a 2.1-liter four—the same basic unit powering the GLK250 that launches this spring—and should make 190 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque, roughly in the same ballpark as the 210 hp and 400 lb-ft of the E350 BlueTec. The diesel four is more than 100 fewer ponies down on the gasoline-drinking V-6 in the E350, but it churns up almost 100 additional lb-ft of torque. We’ll only see the E250 BlueTec in AWD guise, which rams open the gates to sales success in the Northeast, where premium shoppers almost exclusively buy cars with four driven wheels. Considering the friendliness of that region and other Snow Belt zones to diesel—especially in a Benz—the E250 has a shot at being a major player.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mercedes-to-launch-four-cylinder-diesel-e250-4matic-ml250-here-next-year/

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
    Automotix
  7. Wunderkind

Wunderkind Well-Known Member

Damn, not sure if I can wait that long. But I'd be doing myself a diservice if I buy a BMW 5-series with a facelift about 12 months away.............................

You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  8. tennmb

tennmb Well-Known Member

Dropping 6 Cyl diesel in the US, to be replaced with E250. With the new DI gas engines, the benefit of the diesel has diminished. The 250 turbo diesel should push the E close to 40 mpg. Although the biggest potential market is in the more economical offerings of the C and GLK, and of course CLA. Just not enough net benefit in performance numbers to pay more for the V6.
    Wise move IMO.
    The E, like the C will come in two offerings, sport and luxury. The sport will have the star grill, with smaller, tapered design.

9. bombardier01

You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  10. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Looks like they may for a luxury and sport look like the C-Class, that would be best IMO. AMGs get the sport grille only.

M

11. PHYBENZ

PHYBENZ Well-Known Member

normal grill looks to small to me.

12. K-A

K-A Banned

Looking at the car in one-context in the frontal-profile view, the front looks sooooo soft and friendly and round, which is just odd compared to the hard and angular front of the current one. It's too round compared to the box-cut body, just doesn't have cohesion. It also does look too small and feeble in that pic.

• Like Like x 1
  13. bombardier01

Agree. The new front end seems doesn't match with the body style which is a bit boxy. Hopefully it will look better irl.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SKY

SKY Well-Known Member

To me, the key part is the grille. It´s like seeing a rude boy with a cute girl face.

• Like Like x 1
  15. KonradK

KonradK Member

Where is the cabriolet in all this? Should have priority before the summer, unlike other models.

16. Wolfgang

Wolfgang Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

Automotix
  17. KonradK

KonradK Member

Automotix
  18. I really like this idea of creating 2 different grilles on one model. Seems they like to please everyone with this model.

• Like Like x 1
    Automotix
  19. bmwownage

bmwownage Active Member

OK good someone is referring to BMW facelifts.
    First, let's go into the E46 facelift. Agree it is one of the most visually different facelift of BMWs, yet there are a few things, first, the scale of the change of that facelift was no where near as much as this one, even if we JUST talk about the exterior (since the interior got pretty much zero changes except for adding cup holders or a center compartment with a slide door. The change was: new hood, new front bumper, new side fenders, new rear bumper. The reason why we thought it was big was because the headlights changed. You open up the hood and you will find that in reality, 99.9%, even the headlight assembly, is the same as the pre-FL, changes were kept to the very minimal. Do I think that BMW made a mistake with the E46 pre FL? No! that was such a great looker, and honestly i don't think the FL really changed the car too much, it was like a modernization, the E46 was a 1998 model and design leaned towards the E36, but no, no way the E46 preFL was a mistake, you could tell it was a modernization with the same language.
    E65 - yes, obvious a mistake admitted. Huge changes? Not really, the scale was similar to the E46 changes but everyone could tell they toned things down and admitted that people didn't liked the original E65.
    You can even talk about the previous A3, with the grille changing from the "old" Audi grille to the new, joint Audi grille.

Mercedes Benz, the C-class, it pretty much had a new interior in FL, and who thinks the FL actually looks fresher? I don't, i don't even know why they messed up the front, the rear was OK, updating graphics. It's like MB is too scared to just update their cars a little, even if they think the car looks absolutely fine, they still got to change it big time. With the W212, come on, new hood, bumper, fenders, side panel, rear bumper, rear trunk, headlights, tail lights, interior... come on, this is really a screw up.

• Like Like x 1
  20. bmwownage

bmwownage Active Member

don't you get pissed off when you look at those curvy headlights matched with a prominent/boxy shape?what the hell? and the rear is worrying, if the graphics is like that on the PS, holy crap it is the same as a Hyundai probably worse. i'm sure they will try hard to put those rectangle/square lights inside but man i don't think all-red works for this, the cluster is too big.
    And maybe i'm alone here but i have no problems with the pontoon lines, there are lots of E classes here and i think it's a pretty special element, at least it's better than the random upward sloping lines found in late MBs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.