1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

SPIED! Mercedes W212 E-Class Facelift: Renders, Spyshots, Etc

Discussion in 'E-Class' started by LaArtist, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LaArtist

LaArtist Banned

2. mini_cooper4

mini_cooper4 Well-Known Member

OMG I hope it won't look nothing like that.
    The current one looks good, they need to change only a few things I dislike and I'm departing from my 5er :)

3. hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

keep the quad headlight set-up for this generation, otherwise it'll look too much like a Hyundai Genesis. If they could resolve some of the awkwardness from certain angles, this car would be absolutely unstoppable.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Human

Human You. The Road. Nothing else. Premium Member

BAD bad rendering! Looks like one of South Korea's copies / interpretation of their luxury cars that always looks like a Mercedes wannabe.

With the E-class M-B will always play it safe, because they know they have to;)

5. K-A

K-A Banned

Looks like a Chinese E-Class on that terrible render. :D

I think if anything, they will tone it down, as they did with the straight LED's VS the Hockey Sticks. The current one came out with lots of aggressive elements.

We do know that the tails will have the BMW inspired "Lava/Lines" look, and the headlights will have LED toys in them (as Optional, if nothing else).

6. Ultimate Car Guy

Ultimate Car Guy Well-Known Member

I'm rather concerned about this:

1. Autobild renders are usually very accurate - they wouldn't normally render a facelift unless they have accurate inside info

2. The E-Klasse design is fundamentally angular with a lot of straight lines working off tangent with one another. A curvaceous front end would surely look out of place amongst this original design theme

7. K-A

K-A Banned

Very much agreed. Now that you bring it up, I will bring about two of my own points:

1: M-B are apparently going back from angular to rounder again.

2: M-B Designers have shown in some cases that they can't tell when they're mismatching design elements.

This might mean the W212 facelift might look that scary non-cohesive mix of round and angular indeed.

And what's with the "half portion" of the Pontoon fender hump? They took out the curved down line, and left only the top line. It looks like a little stubby shelf underneath a very long shelf. Very cluttered and unfinished. I HIGHLY doubt M-B would do such extensive sheetmetal work, for something so weird looking, not to mention on such a winning design/car.

8. Tarek

Tarek Well-Known Member

Disastrous render!

9. -=Hot|Ice=-

-=Hot|Ice=- Well-Known Member

Why is the car smiling at me?

10. Beemer B773ER

Beemer B773ER Well-Known Member

That Porsche in your avatar is smiling at me too..... ;)

11. GTA8.5

GTA8.5 Well-Known Member

Yep, I agree.. there has to be some truth to it. Look how close thay were with the 2010 E-Class. This render was done in December 2006.

3195d9c04e5f202d49bca1949d96e884.

42277d3f6cc2004750c60fc91875f823.

12. Ultimate Car Guy

Ultimate Car Guy Well-Known Member

There's got to be a motive for these changes: either they're preparing the public for the look of the next-generation E-Klasse or they're simply responding to design criticisms of the current car.

There's something amiss with Mercedes design lately - they're all over the place. To me, i interpret the lack of consistency as a lack of direction.

13. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Which is why I've had to walk away from them this time around.

M

14. PHYBENZ

PHYBENZ Well-Known Member

15. klier

klier Member

Yup, MB needs a rock solid, 20 year design plan. With the whole family of cars involved in the same way and with the same thoughts behind them all.

I quite like it really :D
    It's time for MB to step away from the quad headlight design for the E class. The W212 facelift is a great candidate imo. It could mix smooth organic lines and lights better with the squarish greenhouse/profle.

Three things I like in this chop (like more than the current E class I mean)

- the chance of potentially different backlights
    - the chance of potentially different headlights
    - the character lines on the side without the weird rear wheel arch line

16. Morrison

Morrison New Member

I am in love with those rearlights on the rendering from that magazine.

17. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

I am really hoping that the E-Class facelift brings the car up to a more desireable level. The car is so well built and drives beautifully, but I just don't like looking at it too much. Its not ugly, but the design is just too fussy for a Benz.

M

• Like Like x 1
  18. klier

klier Member

Yeah, and that's why I think the front as seen in the render straightens things up significantly. It's clean and simple, and a far cry from the complex shapes of the current front...

19. K-A

K-A Banned

It could be anything, but the current E certainly seems to be the most popular E yet, albeit the most polarizing (a purposeful thing by the Designers, obviously).

I just think that M-B changing the entire front end, the entire rear end, and actually a true "hard point" in the design (rear fenders and doors) is an incredibly tall order. Though, M-B have gotten extremely extensive with what they entirely change on their F.L's recently (CL, C, R, apparently GLK). Especially in a model that is so popular, and has won numerous Design Awards, etc. However, now that those renderings show so many major changes, I don't doubt we'll see at least one of them implemented. It's probably a good thing, as it can separate the car from the pre-F.L, and give them each their own identities and perks over each other. I do think they'll do away with the 4-eyes soon though, as they've incorporated them in about every way they could. Sad as it gives the E's a more exotic front over typically fronted cars, but at this point, any new iterations of it might look contrived.

20. K-A

K-A Banned

IMO, the front of the W212 is what is an undisputed masterpiece. I can't imagine how they can make it better and more harmonious, given the design it incorporates and works around, but count me as curious.

8efcd42da19b66f95eaf4ddd1f90b44f.

I like it more than my "other favorite car", the 6ers (even with the nasty double fogs). :D

39e9cfc70367abad5ec34880853215b4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.