1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

HOT! Sport Auto Supertest - BMW M135i (manual gearbox)

Discussion in '1 Series' started by DeDe, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member GCF Guru

I think "Asphalttemprature" for RS3 was 29C vs 19C for M135 just to give an idea how much difference testing in summer vs winter makes. On the other hand the colder temperature probably helped M135 make more power - maybe why it was dynoed at 340HP..
  2. DeDe

DeDe Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Probably. They managed the 340 hp at a temperature of 14,8 Degrees C.
  3. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

I'm certain the laptime could be better if it was warmer. Those Supersport are pretty sticky when its warm. But Im not complaining, I would never be this quick if I had a M135i because my driving skill isnt even close to HvS :)
  4. Deckhook

Deckhook Banned

It's a catch 22, cooler temperatures make more power thus better pick up out of corners and better acceleration but a little less traction so longer braking distances and slower corner speeds. The question is how much is the temperatures effecting its time?
  5. DeTomaso

DeTomaso Member

Did anyone else notice the Astra OPC having 20 percent more torque than claimed? 482 Nm is an awful lot for a 2.0 litre engine.
  6. conneem

conneem Active Member

Impressive time but I think it makes the time achieved by Horst in the old 335i coupe of 8.26 even more impressive considering that car was on 225/45/17 run flats compared to the much more aggressive Super Sport setup on the M135i not to mention the extra power the M135i has also. :)
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012
  7. DeDe

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. klier

klier Member

I guess you made that DeDe? Very nice man!!
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. DeDe

Yes, thank you. :)
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Maarten M135

Maarten M135 New Member

Dede, thanks for sharing the articles! SportAuto is one my favourite mags, unfortunately no shipment to Australia..

I think one of the reasons the M135 is a little 'slow' on the Nshleiffe could be due to the manual gearbox. I own the 8speeder, and I guarantee, no human - not even HvS - can change a gear that fast! I reckon he'd shave off another 3-4 seconds if he tries again..
  11. DeDe

Picture gallery online here.
    6d871b24aa85811dd5097dba3bc300fb.
    • Like Like x 4
  12. gralhon

gralhon Member

Hello,
    May be the 8 automatic looks quicker but the times in Hockenheim short show that the manual is slight quicker

I did test M135 with 8 automatic and I did not like it. I am very used to manual gerbox. I bought then the manual version and I am waiting for it mid July.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  13. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member GCF Guru

Congrats. Please do post pics and a review after you get the car.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2013
  14. Deckhook

Deckhook Banned

As much as I love the ZF 8sp auto I still get more pleasure driving my son's 60hp Polo because of its 5sp manual. Its nice that some cars at least give you the option.
  15. martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Just watch out for that dodgy ankle you old fart.

:D ;)

Sorry, but I owed you one.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  16. Deckhook

Deckhook Banned

^Mate have you ever felt the weight of the clutch on a 1.2L 3cyl Polo, you could even use it with a broken ankle. lol

Jokes aside nothing can beat the connection you get with a manual but apart from that as an inexperienced driver it teaches you the relationship between gear ratios and engine revs. Frankly learning on an automatic IMO teaches you very little about how to drive a car properly.
  17. Tumbo

Tumbo Audi/MB/VW/Lambo fan

i can't help imagining how nice the car would be, without those horrible lights.
  18. DeDe

Supertest scans (I deleted my previous photobucket-account): here.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. RS2000 4X4

RS2000 4X4 Member

Second that!! :)
    • Like Like x 1