Cadillac Ciel Concept Preview: 2011 Pebble Beach Concours

Discussion in 'Cadillac' started by HighestOfHigh, Aug 19, 2011.

1. HighestOfHigh

HighestOfHigh Global Moderator Staff Member Contributing Member

11245c633b64ba9781629737b4253b21.
    4ac4d1983c7b65eade43b90a301152db.
    0673ca6c7686e50ea710601a552dc389.
    4a2ae41de3d7316a0bbbde23ea5b6c9e.
    aaf24fcf6e2046f3b6c88587a22ba2e2.

- Cadillac Ciel Concept Preview: 2011 Pebble Beach Concours
    • Like Like x 2
  2. K-A

K-A Banned

Hell yes, hahaha. I'm not a fan of Convertibles but Caddy needs to get back to its ROOTS. I'm talking lavish 50's/60's Boulevard Bruisers, flashy and gaudy, yet prestigious in that classic "American Luxury Car" sense. Basically before the 70's an onward sobered them up.

I'd love to see Caddy go back to that, but it's doubtful, as they've been trying to gain that "Euro" appeal, and it seems to finally be slightly working for them.

This does remind me of a classic Continental though, more than a Caddy. That's fine and all, but when is LINCOLN gonna bring back the best American Sedan that ever was? They need to do a tasteful and DAMN AMAZING rehash of the 60's Conty. It is the only way that brand can be revitalized. The faux-Euro thing they're doing is watered down, warmed over, and appeal-less.
  3. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

Yikes....now this is the type of car that would put Cadillac back in to the spotlight. Too bad GM doesn't have the money or guts to build it. That is stunning and would cause a riot in Cadillac showrooms.

Stunning arse concept. Build it!

M
  4. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

f394a02fa8941752f5d851b0ab2bd08c.

My goodness. If Cadillac built something like this............

M
  5. Tarek

Tarek Well-Known Member

Are they aiming at MB's ocean drive with this one?..anyhow i think it's ugly..
  6. K-A

K-A Banned

It would be like a velvet rope'd VIP entrance back into the dominating sector of automobiles.
  7. kenai

kenai Banned

The new ELDORADO ? ..... extravagant anyway or is it an american Exelero ?
  8. ateekt

ateekt Well-Known Member

That thing is true to Caddy's heritage. Long, convertible, weird tail lights, even weirder front-end & again long! It looks good though in a unique way!

5dfda10825a49a77c8d71056dd14611b.
  9. FFranek

FFranek Member

Ocean Drive was developed as 4 door cabrio with working roof - very complicated task considering modern safety and MB comfort standards. This Ciel concept is just a 4 door roadster without roof from what i've seen. There are only umbrelas hidden in the back ;)
  10. DblPen

DblPen Active Member

thats what cadillac should be doing imho, doing those type of cars, thats what they had been doing all the time!
    plus i remember some older concept with v16 i believe?
  11. K-A

K-A Banned

Yup, like it or not, I wish Caddy and American cars would go back to being unapologetically American, i.e the 50's and 60's (and maybe a few 70's). I'm sick of them looking like warmed over cheap German knockoffs. They need to keep the Euro influence in the engineering and quality, but let's make the designs come back home, for some variety if nothing else. Basically like the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger/new Charger to an extent. It would be nice if that trend went past Muscle Cars, though.
  12. martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Out of touch, out of date.
  13. Guibo

Guibo Well-Known Member

Looks like they are moving forward on this. From Autocar:

GM to okay Cadillac flagship

Monday, September 05, 2011

General Motors is expected to give the go-ahead to Cadillac’s flagship Omega project before year-end, according to senior sources. The maker’s top management has been encouraged by the overwhelmingly positive reaction to the luxury division’s new Ciel concept vehicle.

It’s unclear whether a convertible or sedan version based on the big Omega platform would be first to market, but there is a clear consensus that Cadillac needs a super-premium model if it is to have a chance of regaining its position as ‘standard to the world’, as its long-time advertising slogan declared.

Omega would be just one in a wide range of new offerings that would be added to the Cadillac line-up, insiders confirm, helping the once-dominant marque fill in the so-called ‘white space’ between its current model mix. That will include not only a new plug-in hybrid, but very likely some more conventional hybrid-electric models, as well.

Cadillac planners are also looking at the possibility of adding a diesel, but whether they follow through will depend not only on potential demand in the US but whether Caddy sees the opportunity to build a long-sought presence in Europe. That’s a big uncertainty right now. At least in the near-term, the marque is emphasising China, now its second-largest market.

Adding a flagship like Ciel is critical to the brand’s resurgence, insists Cadillac General Marketing Manager Don Butler, who will only say that GM is “studying its options.” But other sources say the response to the striking, vaguely retro convertible was so powerful that GM’s top managers are now expected to give the go-ahead to the Omega project, which could land in showrooms by mid-decade.

The premium-luxury offering to follow would join an assortment of new models including the ATS, a small car with definite European opportunities; the big XTS, which replaces the largely unloved STS and DTS models; and the ELR, a production version of the popular Converj concept – itself a high-line variant of the Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid.

And even more products are under consideration as Caddy acknowledges the need to proliferate its line-up as successful rivals like BMW and Mercedes-Benz have done in recent years.

“We do have this residual positive sentiment but the fact is that we’re not relevant for many consumers,” said Butler, adding that a broader range of offerings could put Caddy back on the luxury map.

GM to okay Cadillac flagship - Autocar.co.uk
  14. K-A

K-A Banned

Wow, this could be a big game changer for them. Cadillac hasn't even been putting out that great of products, in the total refinement and quality sense, but they are such DRASTIC improvements from the utter garbage they put out for the past 2-3 decades, they have really made HUGE strides in retaining some "cool factor" whilst putting themselves back on the map.

If the next gen can actually prove to get close to German quality/refinement/attention-to-detail, shake that "Gussied Up Chevy-GM" feel, then Cadillac will really be a threat to the Euro's. This thing as the flagship, taking over the terribly-placed current flagship being the Escalade, could really push them over the edge.
  15. hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

From the front wheel back, this looks beautiful and quintessentially American. Not a fan of the front as it's too upright and overbearing. My question is, will this design find traction amongst the global populace? Even Stateside, the general buying public's taste tend to be more Euro-centered, whether it's styling or handling dynamics.