1. Start enjoying GermanCarForum with less advertisements and faster overall performance. Simply Login! - Not registered yet? Register Here.

COMPARISON TESTS Audi S6 Avant vs BMW M550d Touring

Discussion in 'Internal Combustion' started by Tumbo, Oct 7, 2012.

?

Audi S6 Avant vs BMW M550d Touring

1. Audi S6 Avant

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. BMW M550d Touring

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  1. Tumbo

Tumbo Audi/MB/VW/Lambo fan

A simple question:
    Which of these two would you pick?
  2. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

I think a triple-turbo-diesel with 381hp/740 nm is more intresting concept than the engine in S6 but a diesel can never be a sporty car to drive in my opinion. Then again, both cars are big and heavy and not something you would buy because you think it's going to be special car to drive. I pick the one with a petrol engine.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Human

Human You. The Road. Nothing else. Premium Member

As an engineering showcase the M50d tri-turbo is just stunning, also much needed hence Audi's V12 Bi-TDi.
    For that reason I will have a X6/X5 in the Diesel BUT I am with Just me, in M5 guise I'l have the petrol for sure;)
  4. Deckhook

Deckhook Well-Known Member

As a showcase the M550d is impressive though the actual performance benefits over the bi-turbo diesel isn't as impressive as it should be. For that reason I chose the S6, that and the fact it's a superior handling car.
  5. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

The lack of spark plugs is a major let down for me. This is a good reason to choose the S6 over the M550d.
  6. Tumbo

I love them both.
    But I think the new A6 is just a stunning design, and with that new V8 TFSI, it's just perfect.
  7. Hofmeister

Hofmeister Active Member

I think this poll should really be the S6 vs. 550i, identical engine configuration, same fuel, etc. this choice just guarantees the Aud's victory. Me, I'd go for an Alpina D5 Touring. Masterful ride/handling balance, extra exclusivity, and superb diesel straight 6.
  8. Deckhook

The D5 is the reason why I'm not that impressed with the M550d, technically it's genius but taken at face value it looks like a lot of work for nothing.
  9. Tumbo

You probably didnt understand that the poll is connected to the video. Do you see any 550I or any Alpina D5 in there?
  10. Hofmeister

Hofmeister Active Member

Sorry, my internets crap lately and all I saw was a black space which I presumed was a photo comparison:rolleyes: But, again, they should still have compared S6 to 550i IMO. Which car wins?
  11. Tumbo

The S6 Avant wins. They don't think the M550d deserves an M-badge. Although they like both cars, but the S6 handles better and feels more sporty.
  12. kip

kip Active Member

Test drove the 550xd, couldnt get it to go faster than the Audi A6 biturbo. The 550 is a nice car, but didnt feel like a M-car and I think S6 is not comparable.
  13. Kowalski

Kowalski Well-Known Member

No contest. S6 all the way.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Gianclaudio

Gianclaudio Well-Known Member Premium Member

Wagons are for carrying goods. Give me an E klasse 550, please.
  15. deity

deity Active Member

I think wagons aren't really about carrying goods anymore ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member GCF Guru

Hmmm, the driver in me wants the S6, the engineer in me wants the diesel.
  17. martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Somehow, in this case it's the S6 Avant for me please.

But really, a nearly new E63 AMG Touring would be my choice over either if I was spending my money.
  18. Deckhook

Not the first person to say this, maybe Audi are telling a few porks about it's output. :p
  19. Gianclaudio

Gianclaudio Well-Known Member Premium Member

For me, they'll always be about the space and carrying goods. I'll really appreciate that extra space on the E klasse.

Regards!
  20. skbmw

skbmw Active Member Premium Member

I didn't know that the S6 also has Active Sound. For a everyday car clearly the M550d. Audi should also have performance diesels in their S line, that way the comparison would make more sense. If I wanted a large sports car, I wouldn't settle for the S6.