1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OFFICIAL The new BMW X5 M and X6 M

Discussion in 'X5 SAV' started by Giannis, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

The only person who didn't understand what Chris Harris meant is you.

Er, he's been pretty vocal about how fantastic his Signal Green F80 M3 is that he uses on a daily basis. If you actually had enough knowledge of what he has said over the last few months instead of just spouting conjecture, then you would know this.

2. Monster

Monster Global Moderator Staff Member

Thought you will still buy the car and then put CH inside the boot.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

So?

But never mind it, I am not going to ask three times.
      Like @PanterroR, I couldn't care less about what he thinks of it.

Haha, I watch everything he publishes and still think he's becoming a loser. Afraid to give his honest opinion, making sure everybody is his friend and hail everything British.
      In short, a shadow of his former self.

It's not too late yet though. C'mon Chris.

• Matski

Matski Member

Harrismonkey posted that back in November, has a more 'expansive' review by him not appeared yet?

The X6M has done alright against it's competition in the reviews I've seen so far, so I'm guessing for him to compare it to Donkey-dump, he's probably falling back on the same old criticisms the X6 always receives, i.e. it's unconventional.

• martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

No klier, I don't agree with your side of the story on this one. You've misinterpreted Harris' post considerably taking into account your original question.

Harris' tweet is in no way ambiguous:
      "For those of you who don't know of the wrongs made by the X6 here's an FYI - it's still a considerable amount of farm animal excrement."

So when Betty pointed out that the thinking in your original post was a tad imaginative, in a humorous way, you went all aggressive-defensive.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

I asked three times and didn't get an answer. The first time was perfectly clear and straightforward, but instead I get a witty remark back.

This BS is done now. No need to explain.

• Betty Swollocks

I'm sorry Klier, but this is so far from reality. If you HAD been "watching everything he publishes", on Twitter for example, you will realise he's been slagging off (for want of a better phrase), all things Porsche recently. That is completely the opposite to your assertions that he is afraid to give his honest opinion and "making sure everybody is happy".

Nail. Head. Hit. I do try to avoid getting into arguments with people most of the time, yet sometimes it's unavoidable.

Oh, and Harris was in Jo'burg earlier this week driving the facelifted 911 Turbo.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

Good one.

No, really.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Faaarrrk! I hate twitter so I didn't know! Would've loved to have had a beer with him. Shite.

• Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

Chom, you're missing out. He was over at Centurion watching the match too

• Informative Informative x 1
            • PanterroR

PanterroR Well-Known Member

X6 M is my next car. ;)

For such cases i use my Lada Niva... ;) :D

• Funny Funny x 1
              • nikola1984

nikola1984 Active Member

• Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

He's a cool guy. I spoke to him a few years ago when I worked at Yo Sushi while at Uni!

• Like Like x 1
                • nikola1984

nikola1984 Active Member

• rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Published on an other BMW site:

My 2016 X5M Track Day videos, times and impressions

Yup, I took mine on the track. I gotta tell you its a hoot when you pull up to tech and people either go eb415325aa124bc2b0ad765cb3472275. or 9f79e82cf80cba51a266e7c56211f5f0.
                  I just had my break in oil change a week earlier so its a very new car lol. I am an instructor with the BMW club and a few others but this is my first time in an SUV. This was the last of the cars in my profile to track since all the others had been on track at some point(videos on my YouTube channel).

IMPRESSIONS

Acceleration: We all know what its like to 60, however it was a bit slower beyond the 90 MPH range than cars with similar 0-60 times. My Lamborghini which is actually a hair slower to 60 hits 12 MPH faster on the front and back straights. The X5M is very stable at speed and really powers out of corners like you wouldn't believe.

Braking: I tried not to push the brakes to hard since the vehicle is so big and the larger the vehicle the scarier it is to push the limits on brakes when heading towards a wall. Overall they stop VERY smoothly. I had no brake fade but also didn't complete any of the 25 minute sessions as i was scared about them fading on me while driving. I would never have expected the brakes to be so good for such a big car doing 126 MPH down a straight into a haripin right at 40 MPH.

Cornering: While the telemetry is upside down we were able to hit a sustained 1.0G's in the corners and that might even be a bit low since my display is not as stable as it should be so that might cushion a bit of the data. My passenger guessed 1.1 G's before we looked at the data. Car is flat in the corners for an SUV but initial dive into a corner is insane for this big of a rig. Every passenger I took (and there was a line to go for a ride in the SUV lol) said they had never seen an SUV go in any of those directions that fast.

Comfort: Ummm this should be self explanatory but its by far the most comfortable track car I have ever driven and my passengers kept commenting on their comfort as well.

Comparison: Below is a hot Lap video of a 1:33.1 around PIR. For comparison, my stock 05 Lamborghini Gallardo does a 1:31.0 and my track prepped Lotus with slicks would do a 1:29.5 and without slicks would be around 1:33 to 1:34. My 07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage does exactly a 1:33.1 also.

image. image. image. image.

• Like Like x 3
                  • Winner Winner x 1
                  • rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

• Betty Swollocks

Just saw the first page of this thread by accident, and noticed the first line from the press release. What utter BS. How BMW can get away with peddling this crap is beyond me. The X5 M and X6 M do not have anything close to what could be described as "exceptionally fuel efficiency", unless they mean "exceptionally poor"? This shouldn't be allowed and be against trade descriptions acts.

It's no different to a food company saying their new doughnuts are exceptionally low in fat. There are strict rules on what you can put on packaging, and there has to be a maximum fat content to be able to say something is "low in fat". This should be the case with press releases like this, which don't just massage the truth, but out and out lie.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Old Info Old Info x 1
                    • Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

It's not just BMW mate, it's everyone!

Press releases are unreadable lately. They contain pages after pages of marketing nonsense and virtually zero details on the engineering of the interesting stuff. Only Audi's press releases seem to have a bit of information about their latest technology offerings, but no specific details.

At least Audi offers brilliant technical images that make up for the lack of proper text.

• Agree Agree x 1