1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OFFICIAL The new Audi TT

Discussion in 'TT' started by JHF, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JHF

JHF Well-Known Member

8a684a5ff998d460a0aa06c1c0816b62.

The new Audi TT has made its world debut on the eve of theGeneva motor show. The third-generation model sports an evolved style, and is both lighter and more powerful than the outgoing model.

Pictured here officially for the first time, the new TT will go on sale in the UK this autumn. For its third incarnation, the TT has been given an all-new exterior design that looks sleeker while retaining similar proportions and dimensions to its predecessor as well as a comparable silhouette. The design combines more precise detailing up front, crisper feature lines within the body, a boldly curved roof and significantly altered rear end.

Described as being new from the ground up, the latest TT also receives a sophisticated and larger 2+2 interior that features a contemporary digital instrument panel and clean-looking dashboard similar in appearance to that found in the Audi A3.

On the technical front, there is a range of more powerful four-cylinder engines, a fifth-generation Haldex four-wheel drive system and — in a move that Audi technical boss Ulrich Hackenberg has suggested makes the TT more fun to drive than ever before — a new aluminium-intensive chassis featuring variable damping control and a variable-ratio electromechanical power steering system.

Central among the stylistic changes brought to the new coupé is the adoption of a more aggressive-looking front end. This features an angular six-corner grille, new trapezoidal-shaped headlights with more prominent LED internal graphics, a more heavily contoured clamshell-style bonnet and added structure 
to the lower section of the 
front bumper. In a move that brings the TT into line with the range-topping R8, the four-ring Audi emblem has been moved from its usual place within the grille to the bonnet’s leading edge.

Further back, the new TT retains the prominent wheelarch flares of its predecessors but gains larger wheel housings capable of accepting larger-diameter wheels. A defined shoulder line, referred to by Audi as the Tornado line, runs the entire length of the flanks, from the trailing edge of the headlights through to the tail-lights.

The glasshouse is similar in shape to that of the old TT, but the rear side windows have been altered to further emphasise the rear pillars.

Holding true to the three-door layout of earlier models, the new TT continues to feature a liftback-style tailgate. However, the shape of the rear end is now less rounded than before, with a defined lip to the end of the body, an automatic spoiler that deploys at speeds above 75mph and more angular tail-lights.

Unusually, given increasingly stringent safety regulations, the new TT is reduced in size, albeit only marginally. At 4180mm in length and 1832mm in width, Audi’s new coupé is 20mm shorter and 8mm narrower than its predecessor. However, its 1353mm height is the same as before.

Underpinning the new TT is a bespoke version of the Volkswagen Group’s MQB platform. The TT’s wheelbase is 37mm longer than previously, at 2505mm. This gives the new model added interior space and provides the basis for a 13-litre increase in nominal luggage capacity, at 305 litres.

As with the second-generation model, the new TT relies on hybrid construction to shed weight. The floorpan uses a combination of hot-formed high-strength steel and cast aluminium to achieve what Audi describes as “optimal” front-to-rear weight distribution. Much of the body — including the bonnet, wings, roof, doors and tailgate — is constructed from aluminium.

The result is a 50kg saving in kerb weight for the entry-level front-wheel-drive TT, which weighs a claimed 1230kg.

Audi has confirmed a choice of three four-cylinder engines and two gearboxes for the new TT, all available from the outset of UK sales. Underpinning the petrol line-up is the Volkswagen Group’s widely used turbocharged 2.0-litre direct-injection unit, which develops more power and torque than in the old TT.

This engine uses Audi’s variable valve lift technology and a more advanced fuel injection system than lesser versions of the same unit. It delivers 227bhp and 273lb ft in the initial entry-level front-wheel-drive TT and 306bhp and 280lb ft in the four-wheel-drive quattro-equipped range-topping TTS version. The TTS model has a claimed 0-62mph time of just 4.7sec and a top speed limited to 155mph.

Also planned is a turbocharged 2.0-litre common-rail diesel engine with 181bhp and 280lb ft in the front-wheel-drive TT 2.0 TDI. This model is claimed to return a combined fuel consumption figure of 67.3mpg and average CO2 emissions of just 110g/km.

All three launch models come with a standard six-speed manual or optional six-speed S-tronic dual-clutch automatic gearbox. Both transmissions have automatic stop-start. The TT and TT 2.0 TDI receive front-wheel drive as standard but can be specified with the quattro four-wheel drive system that comes as standard on the TTS.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/geneva-motor-show/new-audi-tt-revealed

http://www.autoblog.nl/nieuws/audi-tt-tts-coupe-alle-details-en-fotos-65431

3f6e22b6f5bbecb328c9d1ffad64f822.

314cc45998edeffbf9bdb0243ad3a3ff.

008648e9b4a409dbe49273fae56a0304.

2c05281ee05dd9cc17e8ba1ac4d20bb7.

2f58ea1414bd159c995c68557642819a.

1cde2dd802c4c3b379226e9e06e513d9.

43616e16876c51e342d4d3c2b715f8ea.

c23f06b8e564d6773450f129fe5d726b.

1cab69db052d4f59cf75cab1e0df53a7.

17688acfc8d4bc926468c30fac318370.

67dddee9c9e09b711de01f7a540e28f2.

e4cc4450b04f692a7fefbed3e5904304.

8088f6b49c323a7fb98f6315554db659.

5ba26ea24f87a499382c2111af2c3cd3.

2aff95a0d3d36bbe859021e8ae1375da.

d92ffd7786005abdcb975d9ed7ae6f68.

458421884d6e6869216aba614b25467c.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Will

Will Active Member

I think they've done a great job, It looks very fresh

• JHF

JHF Well-Known Member

I love it, IMO :)

• martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

I've had a good look at the official pics. This car is far from "meh". Familiar - maybe - but meh it is not. I was expecting a rehash but instead am pleasantly surprised by a car exhibiting a confident and mature identity. Here's a third generation model that marks a successful transition from the original, artfully-realised Bauhaus icon through the difficult follow-up act into the sharp, well-proportioned style typical of Audi's latest MQB-based models. I think it's going to look great in the tin. I take it all back, TT.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • marley71

marley71 Active Member

"The result is a 50kg saving in kerb weight for the entry-level front-wheel-drive TT, which weighs a claimed 1230kg. "

If the quattro version is anywhere close to this, then colour me impressed. Profile doesn't match the original; but the front, interior, and to a lesser extent, the rear, are good looking.

• Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

The interior is as slick as you can get in car like this, but the outside is a big Yawner, been there seen that. New car or facelift?

M

• Agree Agree x 4
        • martinbo

This is one sharp, self-assured design. I expected nothing special at all but this, this is pretty damn fine. Interior is just a step up again. The TT gets it right again. Two out of three times at least.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Tumbo

Tumbo Audi/MB/VW/Lambo fan

Okay. My first impressions.

- I love the rear/side profile. It so sleek and just "right"
            - I love the interior.

But, I HATE that grille.It looks even worse on the TT-S. No..it doesn't work at all for me..

Btw, impressive performance by the 310hp TT-S!

• Beemer B773ER

Beemer B773ER Well-Known Member

Well it's definitely still a TT on the outside, which means it doesn't excite me, but I'm sure it will others.

The interior is fantastic in terms of design and layout!

• Tumbo

2015 Audi TT unveiled with sharper styling and 310 HP TTS version

b984fda01a390d34ef7d5e73762f4bc5.

TTS hits 100 km/h in 4.7 seconds
            Audi has officially revealed the third generation TT along with a hot TTS variant packing 310 HP (228 kW).

It turns out the pictures we posted earlier today were the real deal as Audi has taken the wraps of the all-new TT. It comes with an evolutionary design encompassing a more aggressive front fascia with a hexagonal grille flanked by the trapezoidal optional LED headlights. There's also a contoured clamshell hood while the Audi logo has been moved onto the lower section of the hood.

Other noticeable design features include the prominent wheel arches, a defined "Tornado" horizontal shoulder line running the entire length of the flanks while at the back there's a liftback-like tailgate. It also comes with a spoiler that automatically deploys at speeds exceeding 75 mph (121 km/h).

Unlike most new cars which are larger than their predecessor, the 2015 Audi TT is actually 20mm shorter than the model it replaces so it has an overall length of 4180mm, even though the wheelbase has been elongated by 37mm. Width stands at 1832mm so it's down by 8mm while the height has remained the same at 1353mm.

The third-gen TT rides on Volkswagen Group's MQB platform and is up to 50 kg (110 lbs) lighter, resulting in a curb weight of 1,230 kg (2,711 lbs) for the 2.0 TFSI model. Trunk capacity has increased by 13 liters so customers will be able to fill up 305 liters with luggage.

ec2b26b62f34ffd25ec36828169d91e9.

Speaking of engines, Audi will offer upon launch three 4-cylinder turbocharged, direct-injection engines. There are two 2.0 TFSI units with 230 HP (169 kW) & 370 Nm (272 lb-ft) and 310 HP (228 kW) & 380 Nm (280 lb-ft) in the TTS derivative, along with a 2.0 TDI outputting 184 HP (135 kW) and 380 Nm (280 lb-ft) of torque.

The 230 HP 2.0 TFSI coupled to a six-speed manual gearbox enables the new TT to hit 62 mph (100 km/h) in 6 seconds (5.3s with S tronic) before reaching an electronically-limited top speed of 155 mph (250 km/h). The 310 HP TTS quattro-equipped model needs 4.7 seconds to conquer the sprint and is optionally available with an S tronic gearbox. The diesel TT does the run in 7.2 seconds and will top out at 146 mph (235 km/h).

The 2015 Audi TT comes with a McPherson front suspension and a four-link rear setup, while the TTS version sits 10mm lower. Audi is offering various alloy wheels in sizes ranging from 17 to 20 inches and at the front axle there are ventilated disc brakes up to 338mm in diameter depending on version.

Step inside the revamped cabin and the first thing you will notice is the all-new 12.3-inch TFT screen powered by an Nvidia Tegra 30 graphic processor. Another cool feature is the positioning of the air conditioning controls in the air vents, while the optional S sport seats (standard on TTS) have pneumatically adjustable side sections and are highly contoured to offer optimal support and comfort.

88b38c8241e728ce90c37b679e7647f2.

There's also a new flat-bottomed steering wheel featuring a new airbag that occupies 40 percent less space than before without having a negative effect on safety. Audi has installed a 12-speaker Bang & Olufsen audio system with a 14-channel amplifier and door-mounted woofers which are illuminated by an adjustable light conductor.

More info can be found in the attached press release.

Source: Audi

• Like Like x 2
            • Tumbo

I'm damn impressed by this:

That's a winner. Both of the engines!

• Tumbo

Why did they put the rings outside the grille? It looks damn right on the R8, but here...? A big no-no.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • rurella

rurella Active Member Premium Member

Looks much better to me, especially the side profile and rear-end. The grill would look better in black and may take some time to warm up to.

• Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member Staff Member GCF Guru

The edgy grill and the squared of lights doesn't really suit the TT's bulbous shape IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • martinbo

I have merged the TT-S thread into this one as the press release is generic and there's no need for two separate discussions on one new model.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • LaArtist

LaArtist Well-Known Member

What to say..it looks awkwards like all TTs do..

I don't get this car from day one.. but hey some people like it..good for them..to me it looks like a bun.

• Tumbo

Then you should also change the headline to "The new AUDI TT and TT-S"

• JHF

JHF Well-Known Member

• marley71

marley71 Active Member

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
                    • Like Like x 6
                    • Winner Winner x 1
                    • SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Interesting. I once had a laptop which would not show anything on the main screen even though the laptop was on in regards to the Nvidia chip becoming detached due to over heating.

Would the car be undriveable? If something similar happened here?