1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured OFFICIAL The new Audi A8

Discussion in 'Audi A8/S8' started by Giannis, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Serpens

Serpens Active Member

I'm honestly annoyed with both Audi and BMW. They had plenty of time to come up with compelling exterior designs and I think they both dropped the ball. BMW seems to be on a roll with all of their other recent debuts (X7 concept excepted) while I think Audi is floundering a bit. This thing better drive like no other luxury car before it.

2. tristatez28lt1

tristatez28lt1 Well-Known Member

Audi Details New A8’s AI Traffic Jam Pilot, First Level 3 Autonomous System On The Market

open.
    It looks like Audi is getting ahead of the autonomous game, introducing the AI Traffic Jam Pilot with the new A8, the market’s first SAE Level 3 autonomous system.
    for a type approval exemption from regulators as the relevant legal frameworks are still being drafted.

This will enable Audi to accelerate the introduction of the AI Traffic Jam Pilot in Europe with the all new A8.

When traveling in nose-to-tail traffic with the system engaged and up to speeds of 60km/h (37mph), the driver is no longer needed to continuously monitor the car and the road. Audi’s AI Traffic Jam Pilot can safely take over control of the car on highways and multi-lane motorways with a physical barrier between the two directions of the traffic.

That involves starting from a stop, accelerating, steering and braking in its lane but also handle more demanding situations such as a car cutting in closely in front. Unlike Level 2 systems, the driver can focus on another activity.

The system also utilizes a camera facing the driver which checks if he or she is prepared to resume driving, by analyzing the position and movement of the head and eyes. If the driver’s eyes remain closed for an extended period, the system alerts the driver to resume driving, with the same happening if the speed exceeds the 60km/h limit or the traffic begins to clear. If the driver ignores the warnings, then the AI Traffic Jam Pilot brakes the car to a complete stop in its lane.

The new Audi A8 is set to launch this December but Audi expects to start installing the AI Traffic Jam Pilot incrementally, depending on the legal situation in every country.

PHOTO GALLERY
    Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-01. [Broken External Image]:https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IiMBl-cW...tvgCLcBGAs/s200/Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-02.jpg Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-03. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-04. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-05. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-06. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-07. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-08. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-05. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-06. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-07. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-08. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-09. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-10. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-11. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-12. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-13. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-14. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-15. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-16. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-17. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-18. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-19. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-20. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-21. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-22. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-23. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-24. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-25. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-26. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-27. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-28. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-29. Audi-AITrafficJamPilot-30.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

Admittedly, my vantage point is distant (some 600 kms north of Frankfurt/M) and I am dependent on information originating from the electronic and print media.

Nevertheless...I ask myself how Audi could possibly present such absolutely boring examples of the new A8 at the 2017 IAA venue. It almost appears as though they are embarrassed. Perhaps I have missed something.

Audi, bring on the new A7. And don't be shy now...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

It's the dullest car like ever. The design inside and out is just a complete yawner. I don't get why this didn't get the Panamera platform too.

M

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Disagree Disagree x 1
        • Serpens

Serpens Active Member

You must've missed the hilarious infighting that was going on the last few years. Audi steadfastly refused to put the A8 on MSB, Porsche thinks the MLB platform Audi designed for the current Cayenne (and Bentayga, Q7, etc.) introduced far too many compromises.

• Informative Informative x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • W201

W201 Active Member

Is there any place we can read about it? Thx.

• Serpens

Serpens Active Member

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Winner Winner x 1
            • Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

• Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

In my opinion the A8 is one of the disappointments of this year, it just doesn't move the Audi styling forward enough like all of us hoped for and the interior lacks some class and except for the touch screens it doesn't look much different to a VW Passat.

• Agree Agree x 3
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

volkswagen-c-coupe-gte-concept-shanghai-1268. 2015-Volkswagen-C-Coupe-GTE-Concept-14-1200x520.

Watered down and evolving into the production guise VW (China) Phideon.

Had this design been maintained in concept form with an Audi grill of less ostentatious proportions, it may have been a more alluring D5 A8.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017 at 7:41 AM
                • Agree Agree x 1