1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supercar interior comparison

Discussion in 'Internal Combustion' started by slicknick, Apr 6, 2017.

?
  1. McLaren 720S

23 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. Ferrari 488 GTB

13 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. Porsche 991.2 Turbo S

6 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Lamborghini Huracan Performante

9 vote(s)
    13.6%
  5. Audi R8 V10 plus

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  6. Ford GT

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. slicknick

slicknick Well-Known Member

Here comes another interior comparison interior thread, from your interior connoisseur extraordinaire, slicknick, comparing the interiors of the contemporary mid-engined (ok, one is rear-engined) supercars currently on sale....Let the posting/voting begin
    upload_2017-3-13_22-0-50-.400983.
    upload_2017-3-13_22-6-43-.400984.
    upload_2017-3-13_22-6-55-.400985.

upload_2017-4-6_22-29-39. upload_2017-3-13_22-7-5-.400986. upload_2017-4-6_22-30-53.

2. slicknick

Let me post my ranking, with a more detailed follow-up post to follow over the weekend:
    (my initial opinion on the order has changed a bit, after I got to sit in a few of these bad boys)

1) McLaren 720S
    2) Audi R8 V10 plus
    3) Lamborghini Huracan Performante
    4) Porsche 991.2 Turbo S
    5) Ferrari 488 GTB
    6) Ford GT

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  3. hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

Only one I sat in was a run-of-the-mill 911.

1) 720s...well thought-out and looks like quality.
    2) 911 Turbo... it's the oldest but when I sat in it, it just fit like a glove and everything made sense. I'd prefer a GT3 though.
    3) 488GTB...there seems to be a logic about the layout. The last Ferrari I sat in was a 16M Scud, and that felt great, but the leap from that generation to the current gen is immense.

4. KiwiRob

KiwiRob Active Member

The carbon on the Performante ruines what is a nice interior, it looks cheap and unfinished. The standard car looks better.

e81134cb5aaadeb9d5aa8efa5593ecc8.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • slicknick

Those compressed carbon pieces still look like dead ringers for kitchen surfaces IMO...That said, I prefer the seats of the Performante over the standard car

• martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Only the Peformante and Ford GT interiors don't do it for me.

I love the classic simplicity of the 911's interior; the classy-yet-understated R8 facia just exudes quality and the 720S is pure 21st century form meets function.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • klier

klier Member

I was about the mention how beautiful some of these are, but then I saw the Lambo and couldn't get past it's extreme fuglyness in every possible way.

Goddamn what a completely and utterly ruined brand.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Old Old x 1
        • slicknick

What about the Ferrari, Martin?

• hovabongZA

hovabongZA Active Member

The Fords interior just doesn't belong in this class, the rest of the interior are pretty much on par.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • martinbo

I don't think it's in line with the price tag to be honest. That HVAC module is horrible considering what you're paying. Nice facia styling but in the end the switchgear seems cheaply outsourced.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • CrunchSlaughtered

CrunchSlaughtered Active Member

I know it is not exactly a supercar, but this interior is worth mentioning here

289e29a91b5983d602ce46bd2dd7949f.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 4
              • Disagree Disagree x 4
              • Like Like x 1
              • slicknick

I actually thought about including it as an option, but then I thought it wasn't exactly in the same segment as the supercars mentioned above, so I changed my mind

• slicknick

That's a typical Ferrari problem...Great cars, a lot of Italian flair, soul, zest and passion but cr@p interiors, and and cr@ppier switchgear used in them.. I honestly think the last time Ferrari made great interiors were in the 1960's

• slicknick

The R8 has really solid build quality, that's for sure, the only reason it doesn't rise to the very top for me is because once you sit inside an R8 V10 plus (or any other R8, for that matter), it just doesn't feel exotic enough for this class...It's a great interior, but it feels a little too sanitized for a supercar interior (as the interior of an RS6 or something, though, it would have been absolutely brilliant

• Agree Agree x 1
                • martinbo

One has to give credence to the fact that the R8 V10 plus is practically half the price of the 720S or 488 (well it is at least down here in SA).

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • slicknick

Ok, first and foremost, I have done a little research last night on the models I know less about (i.e. the Ford GT and the Performante), and also had a little change of heart about the Audi (sorry that it looks like I've changed my opinion in less than 24 hours, but here comes my personal take on all of the interiors listed above:
                    1) McLaren 720S: Ultra modern & crisp, while benefiting from some properly nice materials (as well as much better build quality compared to the days of the 12C & the 650S). As I mentioned elsewhere before, the 720S is the most modern/high-tech, most crisp and the highest quality of the bunch

2(tie) ) Audi R8 V10 plus: With some nich tech features and great build quality it shared the 2nd place with its Bolognese brother...Normally, I would have placed it lower, given it is the most sanitized and the least exotic of the sextet; that said, one cannot help but factor in the price. It is the cheapest mid-engined supercar on sale today, therefore, I have decided to forgive its lack of exoticism.

2 (tie) ) Lamborghini Huracan Performante: Aggressive, flamboyant and shouty....Should have normally come second for me for all these factors, but given Audi's price factor and Lambo's hideous compressed CF bits, shares the second place with the R8....Though I have to say, I love those seats

4) Porsche 991.2 Turbo S: Well-built and of exemplary simplicity, the Porsche offers a nice place to be in the interior department, albeit a relatively dull and outdated one for my taste. Sure, it is one hell of a car to drive, but this is a comparison of the interiors. Comes in 4th place for me

P.S. Is it me, or are the other supercars here make the Porsche meter cluster look BIGLY (see what I did there? :p) outdated?
                    2061397f187004aa34e3b254f2a69c47.

5) Ferrari 488 GTB: Minor changes here and there from the 458, and the previously-hideous key for has been replaced with a nicer, smart key unit. That said, despite the layout shouting refined Italian passion, the cheap switchgear (A/C controls + vents) and the outdated (IMO) rev counter lets it down for me. And do not even get me started with the all-pixelated passenger display on the 488, it just looks like it belongs to the turn of this century instead of 2017
                    3c596b98a21a013c22d7deaac3bcb75a.

6) Ford GT: I do like the TFT meter cluster, but I really cannot handle that whole layout (which looks like an ergonomical disaster) and I positively despise the steering wheel. Moreover, according to various videos (one posted below as well), the interior is cramped, not particularly comfortable and of cheap materials. Despite all this, I still really want to love this car, given its gorgeous exterior looks and what have you...Might be a good car (even might be great car) at the end, but in the interior department, it just doesn't score the sufficient marks from me...This is NOT the interior of a $450K car

• hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

I am still undecided about #4-6, but I'll say this....I hate, absolutely hate, the steering hub on Lambos today. Just hideous.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • slicknick

I know what you mean bud, they look downright weird to the eye

• KiwiRob

KiwiRob Active Member

That's goes with what I said in the ford gt post, it was built as a racing car first and a road car second, the interior reflects this.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • sako97

sako97 Well-Known Member

$100k+ build uality is noticeably absent in the i8's interior. Matte and silver colored plastic galore.

Not directed towards you.. I have never taken car advise from college student and his clickbait videos continue to prove why I don't.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Like Like x 1
                        • Winner Winner x 1