1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured NIO EP9

Discussion in 'More Brands' started by kingjr9000, Nov 21, 2016.

1. kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Member

This Astonishingly Fast EV Just Obliterated The Electric ‘Ring Record With A 7min 5sec Lap

Chinese firm NextEV has just unveiled its Nio EP9 electric hypercar, while announcing a record-breaking Norschleife time

5d84d0fa2bb6d4f4517d51d5dd048776.
    If you’re an electric car start-up, building a bonkers fast hypercar is a good way to make a strong opening statement. Building a supercar with the same amount of power as a Koenigsegg One:1 makes that statement stronger still.

Yep, Chinese firm NextEV’s new ‘Nio’ brand and its EP9 - both revealed in London today - has a total of 1341bhp on tap courtesy of four inboard electric motors each with its own gearbox. This ‘megawatt’ power output gets the mostly carbonfibre EP9 from 0-124mph in 7.1 seconds, on to a top speed of 194mph.

98986fe6a0ed7acbc34fc16f8a0137b2.
    Those aren’t the only impressive figures either. NextEV has today confirmed what we’d all been wondering last month: its new supercar is now the holder of the Nurburgring lap record for electric vehicles. It clocked a 7min 5.12s lap on 12 October, 12 seconds faster than the Toyota P002 that was previous top EV at the Green Hell.

17170deb97c27c249cb3715cb8b783ee.
    It’s also slightly faster than the GT-R Nismo’s controversial 2013 lap, and about seven seconds slower than the Lamborghini Aventador SV managed last year. These are considerably less powerful cars, so we can’t help but wonder if there’s more to come from the EP9, even if it will most likely be heavier due to all the batteries it’s packing.

2cebba6117fccb515fe1aa43516d0c7e.
    Speaking of batteries, the EP9 comes with an interchangeable battery system, and a charging time of 45 minutes is promised. A fully topped-up battery will give up to 265 miles of range.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Member

The NextEV ‘Nio EP9’ Would Be The Overall ‘Ring Record Holder If It Wasn’t For One Crucial Detail

The newly revealed Nio EP9’s 7min 5sec Nurburgring time might seem a tad slow for a 1341bhp hypercar, but there’s a good reason why it can’t go any quicker

bfca4846d59c412233e3ff5783fad0a5.
      There’s one thing I couldn’t help but wonder when news of NextEV’s very first car - the Nio EP9 - dropped today. Shouldn’t it be a little bit quicker?

I’m not talking about the staggering 0-124mph time of 7.1 seconds, nor the 196mph top speed. No, I’m referring to the Nurburgring lap time. Sure, the 7min 5.16sec lap has crowned the EP9 as the electric vehicle lap record holder, but shouldn’t a 1341bhp hypercar be quicker than that? Particularly in a world where a Lamborghini Aventador SV with around half the power can clock a 6min 58sec effort.

Now we have our answer: it turns out the lap wasn’t at maximum attack, and it’s all down to the temperatures of the EP9’s battery cells, which make up 648kg of the car’s 1800kg mass.

Speaking to us at the car’s reveal in London today, NextEV Formula E driver and EP9 test driver Nelson Piquet Jr said: “We’re not at maximum power at any point of the lap, otherwise we’d heat up the batteries too much.” A figure of “90 per cent or less” is suggested, to which Senior Design Director David Hilton says what we we’ve all been thinking: “Imagine what it could do on 100.”

The answer is an astonishing lap time. “If you took away the heat issues I think we could get to the ultimate lap record,” Piquet says, adding: “At [Paul] Ricard we were only a couple of seconds slower than the LMP2 cars. I’m sure if you put an LMP2 car at the Nurburgring it’s going to be quicker than the 6 minute 40-something lap.” And the lap time they’re talking about is the 6min 48sec lap set by the Radical SR8 LM a few years ago - a car that’s pretty much a racing car with a set of numberplates chucked on.

Gerry Hughes - Chief Race Engineer and Team Principle of NextEV’s Formula E team - adds: “The biggest challenge when driving electric vehicles at performance is thermal management. It’s simply the biggest issue - there’s no difference in Formula E.”

So for now the likes of the Lamborghini Aventador SV and the Porsche 918 Spyder are ‘safe’, but as battery technology improves, the fastest car around the Green Hell could end up being powered by electricity alone…

• Informative Informative x 2
      • kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Member

This Nio EP9 is a 1,341bhp electric supercar
        A megawatt of power and a Nürburgring record for NextEV's new plug-in hypercard

Every time a quick electric car launches, it’s deemed a Tesla rival. Not least by us. Sorry. But there’ll be none of that here, for this fully electric Nio EP9 lives in a whole different ballpark.

Looking not unlike a Koenigsegg – the styling is exciting, if a bit uninventive – it has similarly scintillating numbers on its spec sheet.

Like the Koenigsegg One:1, it comes with one whole megawatt of power, which translates into 1,341bhp. You’ll know this is comfortably more than a Bugatti Veyron or LaFerrari.

That’s enough for 0-124mph in 7.1 seconds – quicker than a Mazda MX-5 will complete 0-62mph – while its top speed is 195mph, unusually high for an EV. It’s also the fastest EV around the Nürburgring, with a 7m05s lap time. We suspect that wasn’t a difficult record to claim.

Perhaps more pertinently, it will apparently charge up in a mere 45 minutes, endowing it with a 265-mile range figure before you need to plug it back in again. Quite what performance that’s allied to we don’t know. A few 7.1sec blasts at full throttle will probably cut that number significantly…

The Nio EP9’s maker, NextEV, also claims 3G ability. Nope, not for your phone signal, but in corners. That’s quite some G-force to contend with.

The chassis is built to Le Mans LMP1 standards and employs lots of carbon to keep strength high and weight low, though it’s still a relatively portly 1,735kg. Decent for a car stuffed full of batteries, perhaps, but plenty for a supercar to haul along.

Which perhaps makes its performance yet more impressive, even if its 0-62mph time – 2.7secs – is a touch behind Tesla’s best. Oops, mentioned Tesla. Sorry…

• Informative Informative x 3
        • kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Member

• Like Like x 2
          • chonkoa

chonkoa Well-Known Member

Now who did they steal that from?

• lafars

lafars Active Member

Wonder if we'll see any reviews of this and the rimac

• Wunderkind

Wunderkind Active Member

Seems like most of the design and engineering are done in Europe with funding from China.

It does not seem road-legal and goes without air-con and working side windows.

• Informative Informative x 1
            • KiwiRob

KiwiRob Active Member

The Chinese can do things without intelectual theft, that said the styling looks like it could/should be the next generation Koenigsegg.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

Not from America, that's for sure.

And I actually like the looks. Better than that VAG thing from Bugatti at least.
                But then again, that's not hard now is it?

• Dislike Post Dislike Post x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • DjordjeC63

DjordjeC63 Active Member

This is it. Chinese cars will go worldwide as EVs. LeSee is next.

• DjordjeC63

DjordjeC63 Active Member

Tesla announces 0-60mph times, so same or even worse (sometimes they overrate it).

• kingjr9000

kingjr9000 Member

That reminds me, if anyone was wondering if this is for public sale, it isn't. Supposedly, someone from china made an account of FLT.com, and said that the car is made just for the investors as a thank you for believing in them, and they're beginning to work on other cars.

• chonkoa

I will believe that when I see a unicorn.

• Marc-1

Marc-1 Member

Which tires on track ?

• KiwiRob

KiwiRob Active Member

There's unicorns in the Bible so they must have existed sometime in history.

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • lafars

lafars Active Member

Does this count?
                    a95dd13ffce47a37c8a6246c3934d699._.

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • chonkoa

Okay, I guess that counts.
                      You are now officially my daughter's best friend.

• Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

This is certainly not a kit car wannabe super car, really looks extremely well engineered and designed, I like it a lot. The styling looks better than any Koenigsegg in my opinion.

Hugely impressive indeed

• Like Like x 2
                      • Marc-1

Marc-1 Member

Tires looks for me like RACING SLICKS (Shmee vid at Paul Ricard).

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Laurent T

Laurent T Active Member

Looks like a nicely engineered car and the design is interesting.