1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured OFFICIAL MINI Electric Concept

Discussion in 'The MINI Lounge' started by Matski, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Matski

Matski Active Member

MINI presents pure-electric design study at the IAA: the MINI Electric Concept, complete with iconic design and urban driving fun.

P90274836_highRes_mini-electric-concep. P90274837_highRes_mini-electric-concep. P90274834_highRes_mini-electric-concep (1). P90274835_highRes_mini-electric-concep. P90274830_highRes_mini-electric-concep. P90274832_highRes_mini-electric-concep. P90274828_highRes_mini-electric-concep. P90274829_highRes_mini-electric-concep. P90274825_highRes_mini-electric-concep. P90274826_highRes_mini-electric-concep.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

"Designed for use in urban areas, this concept car offers a window into how pure-electric day-to-day mobility might look in the years ahead".

Like a car launched nearly 60 years ago and designed by Sir Alec Issigonis, apparently.

My head hurts.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

• Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

Will it be powered by a new electric drivetrain or will it use the guts of the i3?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • mini_cooper4

mini_cooper4 Well-Known Member

Here's a chance for a RWD Mini.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Matski

Matski Active Member

Packaging constraints are likely very different, and by 2019 things will have moved on from the engineering of the MCV in 2010, so I would imagine it will be different.

• EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

Mind when UKL and CLAR modular platforms were developed they were also incorporate some solutions from the Drive part of BMW i LifeDrive architecture. Meaning EVs will emulate i3 solutions, while PHEVs will be inflienced by the ones from i8. This also means the BMW i Drive architecture and the CLAR & UKL platforms will be very much intertwined. Even more so in the future.

Highly flexible modular solutions will not only provide different drive possibilities (FWD, RWD, AWD, ICEV, PHEV, BEV etc) but also different vehicle types and size. And also different materials used for the eg. chassis and body frame. Eg. some cars will get more, some less lightweight parts.

If you are asking where all the BMW'S EV R&D money has gone all those last years, now you have an answer : they have been develoing this highly flexible architecture solution which will be used for future MINI & BMW (incl. M & i) vehicles. While RR latest modular architecture is also capable of featuring PHEV or BEV drive train. And is design in a manner to include BMW Group electrified drive trains.

BMW i project has been an incredible R&D exercise & develoment lab, providing BMW Group with priceless data & know-how. Future BMW Group’s future products will benefit bigly (sic!) from that.

And MINI E will be the first such product. Btw, with MINI E premiere in 2019 the i3 will also get performance & mileage upgrade to be on par with MINI E.

X3 eDrive Concept also coming in the near future?

I'm also hearing the first middle class BMW BEV can emerge in Mk2 3er / 4er GT form... As a spiritual successor to the canned i5. Roomy, versatile, a bit higher sitting position, "coupeish" look etc.

• Like Like x 3
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

What role will CFRIP plastic in the future? Will the usage remain sparse like in the G12 and G30?

• SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

New MINI e is FFFFUUNNNKKKYYY!!!

I wouldn't say CFRP is sparse in the G11.
              It's use in the main load weight areas, key areas for structural rigidity of a body structure is certainly high tech for a luxury limousine.
              It has similar strength benefits to traditional steel to assist structural rigidity, but much lighter.

• Pepi

Pepi Member

Just read in a Belgian car magazine the car would be commercialized in July 2019.....that's almost 2 years from now a bit early to show the concept!