1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mercedes-Benz X-Class

Discussion in 'X-Class' started by rs271, Jul 5, 2017.

1. rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • fortuner

fortuner Well-Known Member

I can imagine many of them on the South African roads..

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Wolfgang

Wolfgang Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

• Like Like x 4
        • lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

Lights are different to the concept. Cool.
          Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 10.04.30.

• Like Like x 3
          • marley71

marley71 Active Member

Why is it that Mercedes does this and I'm enthusiastic, but if BMW does this I would be furious!? Part of the reason is that Mercedes has a full complement of performance cars, also they've always done things like commercial vans and trucks. BMW doesn't have that heritage, so every foray into new markets, especially while they don't have sports halo models, seems almost like a betrayal. Yes, I know I'm not being rational, and that these are just businesses hell bent on survival in a dog eat dog world...

• Creative Creative x 1
            • Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

This is going to take the pickup world by storm. It will set new standards for sure for refinement, luxury and style.

• Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

It's still a Nissan Navara underneath. Therefore, it will set new standards for badge milking.

Seriously, it better be a hell lot better than the Navara...

• Agree Agree x 8
              • Winner Winner x 3
              • Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

Yes true it's a Nissan underneath and I hope they have done a lot of work on the basic platform to elevate this much more above the Nissan or you and me and thousands of die hard pick up fans will be crying foul.

• Dauer

Dauer Active Member

That just sound so wrong

• lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

It'll be huge in Australia where people who work in trades earn quite well, their market is protected from imported labour.

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Giannis

If the MB rebadged Renault Kangoo is an indication of how different the X-Class will be from the Navara, then we are screwed.

;)

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Funny Funny x 2
                  • Gianclaudio

Gianclaudio Well-Known Member

And all over South America and their rich farmers/landowners

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

The Kangoo has a HUGE star.

• AndreB

AndreB New Member

^ That's why I don't like MB's brand direction, is too diluted, they put the star on anything even though the products suck. If I'm driving a 100k MB I hate seeing the same star on a "Kangoo". Mercedes stands for high quality luxury products, not buses or whatever might be.

• Giannis

I've got absolutely no problem with MB also producing buses, trucks and Unimogs. But I do mind rebadged products. Especially just slapping a star on some other brand's car, like the Kangoo. What is MB, General Motors?

On the other side, you gotta give it to BMW. They haven't offered a rebadged anything yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • Wolfgang

Wolfgang Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

World Premiere of the Mercedes-Benz X-Class
                        On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 starting at 7:10 p.m. CEST / 5:10 p.m. GMT the Mercedes-Benz X-Class celebrates its World Premiere in Cape Town, South Africa

Last year Mercedes-Benz presented the X-Class concept cars in Sweden; now the series model is in the starting blocks. The new X-Class enriches the familiar strengths of a pickup by adding typical Mercedes-Benz characteristics, thus uniting apparent contradictions: extreme robustness and a progressive design, impressive off-road capabilities and great driving dynamics on the road as well as exemplary functionality and stylish comfort.

• Like Like x 3
                        • mehdi tavakol

mehdi tavakol Active Member

• JLBM

JLBM Well-Known Member

While not as serious as the dreadful Aston Martin Cygnet (an Aston badged Toyota), the upcoming BMW Z5 will also be on a Toyota platform..

• Disagree Disagree x 2
                          • WTF!? WTF!? x 1
                          • hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

Is it a Toyota platform or is it jointly developed? In fact, it might be more BMW than Toyota as prototype/mules were seen with more BMW interior early in the development, and it seemed chassis tuning was done in Munich based on their presence there.

• Agree Agree x 3
                            • Car Nut

Car Nut Member

It's great that this launch is happening in my home city. I wonder which exact venue Mercedes has chosen for the event. 18th July also happens to be Mandela Day so it is actually a really special day.

• Like Like x 3