1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POLL Kings of opulent luxury - RR Phantom VIII vs Bentley Mulsanne vs Mercedes Maybach S680

Discussion in 'Internal Combustion' started by slicknick, Aug 5, 2017.

?
  1. Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII

64 vote(s)
    74.4%
  2. Bentley Mulsanne EWB

9 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Mercedes-Benz S650 Maybach

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. slicknick

slicknick Well-Known Member

upload_2017-8-6_2-25-17.
    upload_2017-8-6_2-26-1.
    upload_2017-8-6_2-27-27.
    rolls-royce-phantom-2018-7-.
    upload_2017-8-6_2-26-10.
    upload_2017-8-6_2-28-57.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • sako97

sako97 Well-Known Member

The Maybach S-Class is just not worthy of discussion with the ultra-luxury class... disqualified by it's association with the normal 100,000+ annual production S-class. Bentley Flying Spur, possibly entry a level Ghost, maybe.

Side note... I'm still infatuated with the S' interior in top form
      upload_2017-8-6_2-28-57-.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • slicknick

Makes two of us....That said, still no match for the Phantom VIII IMO

• hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

I find it odd they actually have paddle shifters on the Maybach. An AMG? Sure, but a Maybach? Odd.

• slicknick

So does the Mulsanne
        Bentley-Mulsanne_EWB-2017-800-05.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Tarek

Tarek Well-Known Member

Lets have this poll again when the true MM arrives.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • hovabongZA

hovabongZA Active Member

Remove the S class.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • BigBenzGirl

BigBenzGirl Active Member

Agree with others saying the S680 does not belong, as it competes more with the Ghost and Flying Spur. However between the Phantom and Mulsanne, the Bentley looks much better and more bespoke inside and out IMO.

• Funny Funny x 3
              • Mick Briesgau

Mick Briesgau Well-Known Member

The S Maybach, which is in fact a XXL S-klasse and costs about half a Phantom, doesn't belong in this comparison.

• Agree Agree x 2
                • Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

All three have their rightful place on earth.

The Phantom is a luxury connoisseur's ultimate ride and is as grand as a stone mansion. If you don't want to draw too much attention about your wealth then the Mulsanne is excellent. Lastly the S-Class is glaringly more mass-produced but is not a poor mans car and offers superb comfort and interior amenities. However, it's a premium car and not a true luxury product.

• picsoubmw

picsoubmw Well-Known Member

There is none of the car I would actually get in the luxury market in this poll. In this category I would choose either the Mercedes-Maybach S600 Pullman :

1433871666_mercedes-benz-s600_pullman_maybach_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_03.

1424279307_mercedes-maybach-pullman-1.
                  1424279287_mercedes-maybach-pullman-002.
                  1424279279_mercedes-maybach-pullman-3.
                  1424279279_mercedes-maybach-pullman-003.
                  1424279278_mercedes-maybach-pullman-2.
                  1424279221_mercedes-maybach-pullman-4.

Or the Mulsanne in Grand Limousine form :

bentley-mulsanne-grand-limousine-c664517042017013920_5.
                  bentley-mulsanne-grand-limousine-c664517042017013920_6.
                  bentley-mulsanne-grand-limousine-c664517042017013920_1.
                  bentley-mulsanne-grand-limousine-c664517042017013920_2.
                  bentley-mulsanne-grand-limousine-c664517042017013920_3.
                  bentley-mulsanne-grand-limousine-c664517042017013920_4.
                  bentley_grand_limo-2.
                  Bentley Grand Limo Profile_1920x670.
                  Grand Limo 3qtr Front_web 1920x805.

• Like Like x 2
                  • slicknick

No Maybach, but a nice comparison video for the Phantom vs the Mulsanne

• Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

^^
                    The Pullman interior is so deficient on wood insets compared with the Bentley and Rolls.

• klier

klier Member

No need to even vote here, lol

The Maybach is the best 'normal' luxury car in the world, though. Hardly normal of course, but compared to a Phantom.

The Mulsanne is just horrible inside out. A VW with wood and chrome.

• Funny Funny x 2
                    • Disagree Disagree x 1
                    • Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

I cannot call myself a fan of this particular genre of automobile. But were my arm twisted, coercing me to make a choice, it would be the Bentley Mulsanne. There's something about the Mulsanne that exudes...I dunno..."dignity".

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • LaArtist

LaArtist Well-Known Member

The s class does not belong. I wouldnt want ssomething that is similar to anything else if I was in this market.

The phantom is really awesome but it's not made to be driven. I like to drive cars and not be a passenger no matter how much money I have.

That leaves the Bentley and I love that thing it is so unique and at the same time a car you can drive without looking like your the staff.

So my vote goes to the mulsanne

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

The Phantom is a work of art, but it screams "I'm fcking rich" as no other car on the market today. The Mulsanne, on the other hand, with its understated looks is a much better fit to my personality. Therefore, if I had the money for such a car and did not decide to spend it on vintage 911, I'd get the Bentley.

• W201

W201 Active Member

Clearly it is the Rolls - it is the newest, and pushed the edge for the others to follow (especially with 'The Gallery' - I can't have enough of it).

Bach doesn't really belong in here, at least not in this form. It would be nice for them to position themselves as Opulent-Autobahn-Stormer kind of car, starting with an uber-coupe first, and then followed by a limo (and eventually an SUV).

My preferred choice would be Bentley, in a dark, rich green - it's understated somehow, not so much in-your-face like the Rolls is.

• CrunchSlaughtered

CrunchSlaughtered Active Member

Do you really find the looks of the Bentley understated? For me both cars are equally vulgar and the closest things to understated looks are S-class and 7er

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
                          • Agree Agree x 2
                          • slicknick

As I created the thread, and having seen people's respective opinions on the matter, felt like I need to post my take on it as well, so here it comes.
                            3) Mercedes-Benz S-Class Maybach:
                            While not nearly as exclusive as the other two, thought the Maybach was far superior to any other German offering in this segment (if there has been any) , so thought I'd place it here as the third contestant. That said, there is no denying that both in terms of exclusivity and the pomp it provides to its clientele, the Maybach is in fact inferior to the offerings from Bentley and Rolls, so it takes the 3rd position, a place which is not shameful in this highly exclusive bracket by any means

2) Bentley Mulsanne:
                            Sublime looks, lavish detail and the build quality thanks to the deep pockets of VAG, the Mulsanne, for sure, is one hell of an offering in the ultra-luxury segment. That said, both in terms of the opulence and the panache, not to mention its price tag, it is somehow located above the Ghost yet below the invincible Phantom. If it were to be pipped against the Phantom VII, I have little doubt that it would be my top pick against its majestic yet hugely-outdated rival, but against the brand new offering from the Rolls, it ends up assuming the second place

1) Rolls-Royce Phantom VIII:
                            This new generation of the Phantom ups the ante in its already-untouchable status as the true benchmark in ultra-luxury, be it the technology, even more opulence and comfort. Sure, it has never been meant to be a driver's car, and I'm surely not one to be chauffeured around, but this thing, my friends is an absolute masterpiece. For me; the updated tech, further improved comfort/lavishness and that whole art gallery is more than enough to make up for the fact that it is, and always will be, a chauffeur's car...Can't wait to see it up close at the IAA in late Sept