1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hyundai i30 N (Golf GTI killer!)

Discussion in 'Hyundai' started by Zafiro, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:58 AM.

1. Zafiro

Zafiro Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

What about this Hyundai makes it a GTI killer? Oh, a Peugeot GTI killer - maybe...

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Thank You Thank You x 1
      • Zafiro

Zafiro Well-Known Member

I like this car. If the price is right and reviews are good this is going to be popular car. I can see Klier driving this because of the name Albert Biermann :D

• Funny Funny x 2
        • klier

klier Member

Killer? LOL, that's a bit much isn't it?

Still, it looks fairly good indeed.

• Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

I thought he was working for KIA since he developed the stinger?

• DjordjeC63

DjordjeC63 Active Member

Hyundai/Kia the same.

• SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Its does not look very special. Maybe it's deliberately understated. But there are others who are more...shall we say extravagant?

• Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

Steering response and feedback will make or break this car.

• martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Torsion beam or multi-link rear suspension?

• SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Hmm. Does anybody else see The front aerodynamic package of the M3/M4 in the rear bumper/valance?

• Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Multilink.

All diesel and the entry level petrol variants get the torsion beam though.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

Hyundai N boss: AWD and paddleshift in development

[​IMG] [​IMG]
            [​IMG]

The Hyundai i30 N is a reassuringly traditional hot hatch. It sticks with front-wheel drive, a manual gearbox and even a manual handbrake.

But as the N brand grows, expect more tech to arrive, says boss Albert Biermann. First we ask him about four-wheel drive, given some of the i30 N’s rivals, such as the Ford Focus RS and VW Golf R, use that layout.

“We have been testing four-wheel drive,” Biermann confirms. “But there is no plan at the moment to offer an N car with it. Of course we are looking into this. We have all our in-house tech, and the cost of the car could still be reasonable.

“But we are just starting with the N brand. People need time to discover N, and understand what it is. Maybe later we can add stuff like this. There are prototypes out there and it is not a big deal to do it.”

So that means an injection of power for something like the i30 N, we wager. “Without a high amount of power there is no need to go to all-wheel drive,” Biermann says. An extra 100bhp over the 271bhp i30 N Performance Package, perhaps? “At this point I don’t know,” he says, chuckling.

What about a paddleshift gearbox? “We are developing such a transmission in Hyundai and we are thinking sooner or later to bring it in to the range,” he says. But will N cars always offer a transmission choice? “Yes. Manual has to survive of course!”

Like the sound of so much choice? Or should the simplicity of the i30 N’s current range be celebrated?

Hyundai N boss: AWD and paddleshift in development

• Like Like x 1