1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Citroen returning to US

Discussion in 'Citroen' started by rs271, Feb 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Top Poster Of Month

Citroen returning to US with trendy DS brand
    8c382d8bcbf097e24c06d9673da9b7e5.

PSA's DS premium brand will eventually be launched in the United States, a new report states.

DS already announced plans to introduce six new models by 2020 and most likely some of them will reach the American market. Of course, nothing is official yet, but Car and Driver reports the French marque is following a new strategy that apparently includes the US. The transfer won’t happen soon as it is a long-term plan of the company.

“It’s not on the agenda today, but we may come to it,” DS’s development boss Eric Opode told the magazine. “We proposed a strategy to be in the top 200 cities in the world, and that is what we are following. Wherever there is a premium market we want to be, so in the future we will clearly be targeting those cities.”

Late last year it was reported one of the new models of DS will be a SUV set to rival the MINI Countryman and the likes. While it may sound like a high-volume vehicle, Opode explains the manufacturer has no “crazy ambitions.”

“Since starting DS one-and-a-half years ago we have made great progress,” he commented, “but we are not prepared to talk about volume. We have no crazy ambitions, we want to stabilize the brand step by step, to create a robust brand with a robust foundation. We will not be a volume brand.”

Source: Car and Driver

2. hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

Tell the good folks at C&D that they are about 6 weeks too early for April Fools.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • SKY

SKY Well-Known Member

Good luck with that.

• sako97

sako97 Well-Known Member

Sounds like vaporware to me. Peugeot/Citroën/Renault have made strides in recent years in regards to reliability, but they had such a bad rep in the States.

Citroen was severely affected by the oil crisis in 1973 and the increasingly stricter safety/design regulations by NHTSA forced them to bow out of the US market in '74. Peugeot USA died a slow death in the 80's-1992 with the rise of Japanese cars and price competition. On top of that, they were the most unreliable and unserviceable cars you could buy at the time. The nails on the coffin were poor safety ratings and emissions in '91-'92.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    • martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

I don't know who to feel more sorry for: Citroen or the US.

• picsoubmw

picsoubmw Well-Known Member

Citroën and DS are two distinct brand nowadays, so I guess it's pointless to make headline like Citroën return to the US which is not.

And I think it would have been better for PSA to buy Saturn or Chrysler few years ago to enter the US market than going with DS from scratch.

But at the moment DS should concentrate offering new car in their non-China market because since the DS5 in 2011 there have been nothing new but facelift....

• Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

They wasting time and money trying to go in the US. Peugeot (PSA) is doing better in China, they sold over 710,000 cars there in 2015. If they market the DS very well it will probably sell much better in Shanghai than in Detroit or New York.

• Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

The french automotive industry caters the EU market quite spot on, but the US? No chance...

Peugeot used to make great little driver's cars (206 anyone?) and Citroen used to bring pricey innovations into the affordable family sedan segment (remember the pneumatic suspension offered with the Xantia?).

Sadly, not much is left nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kowalski

Kowalski Well-Known Member

Fiat is struggling in the U.S and I doubt Citroen and Peugeot would stand a better chance. Renault at least can slap a Nissan badge on whatever they make it and Americans will buy it.

• Wunderkind

Wunderkind Active Member

It's Citron, it's a Lemon.

Just kidding.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Mr Robert

Mr Robert Global Moderator Staff Member

Well, big Citroens are better than almost all domestic US models. So, why not?

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

I might be in the minority on this forum, but I actually do like French cars. Citroen were such an innovative company in the 60's and 70's and their latest car designs are pretty funky and certainly stand out from a boring crowd. The DS3 and DS5 look good, the C4 Cactus is a revolutionary looking cross over and in my opinion the latest Picasso is probably my favorite MPV and I am not an MPV fan anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • dtd

dtd Active Member

Guys, please give the French a chance. Afterall, we use their ferfume sometime, so why not their cars.
              dtd

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Kowalski

Kowalski Well-Known Member

The French sell at least one car in the USA, it's called Bugatti Veyron.