1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured HOT! BMW i Vision Dynamics

Discussion in 'New BMW Models / Vehicles' started by EnI, Sep 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

BMW i Vision Dynamics

Tesla 3 fighter in Gran Coupe form...

Screenshot_2017-09-12-08-53-46. Screenshot_2017-09-12-08-53-35. Screenshot_2017-09-12-08-53-25. Screenshot_2017-09-12-08-53-15.

The BMW i Vision Dynamics. A new form of electrifying driving pleasure.

12.09.2017 Press Release

Munich. Just a year on from the presentation of its future-focused NEXT 100 vision vehicles, the BMW Group is introducing the electric mobility of the much more immediate future at the IAA Cars 2017 show in Frankfurt. The BMW i Vision Dynamics is a four-door Gran Coupe with a range of 600 km (373 miles), a top speed of over 200 km/h (120 mph) and acceleration of 0-100 km/h (62 mph) in four seconds, and offers a look ahead to the e-mobility experience of the future with a new level of sporting elegance. “At the BMW Group, the future of electric mobility has already arrived,” says Harald Krüger, Chairman of the Board of Management at BMW AG. “We have more electrified vehicles on the road than any established competitor and are committed to expanding our activities in the field of electric mobility as part of our NUMBER ONE > NEXT strategy. By 2025 we will be offering 25 models with an electrified drive system – of which 12 will be pure-electric. With the BMW i Vision Dynamics we are showcasing how we envisage future electric mobility between the i3 and i8: a dynamic and progressive, four-door Gran Coupe. We are therefore electrifying the heart of the BMW brand and, at the same time, elevating BMW i into a totally new dimension.”

BMW i sets the pace of innovation.

BMW i is a byword for visionary vehicles and a new understanding of premium mobility focused squarely on sustainability. “BMW i is the innovation driver for the BMW Group,” explains Klaus Fröhlich, Member of the Board of Management at BMW AG, Development. “Here, visionary solutions and future-ready concepts become reality for the first time. But BMW i also acts as a spearhead of innovation for our other brands. The BMW i Vision Dynamics allows us to show right now what another electric BMW might look like. And BMW has demonstrated its talent for turning visions into real life throughout its history.”

The inspirational design of BMW i models is particularly effective in both flagging up the brand’s pioneering role visually and making it something people can experience. “With the i3 and i8 we have designed a revolutionary city car and a revolutionary sports car,” says Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design. “And now the BMW i Vision Dynamics is combining electric mobility with the core values of BMW: dynamism and elegance. We are therefore demonstrating how the product range and the design language of BMW i can be evolved further into other concepts.”

“I do more with less” – the design identity of BMW i.

The outline of the BMW i Vision Dynamics represents a further evolution of the classical BMW proportions; a long wheelbase, flowing roofline and short overhangs create a basic profile brimming with elegance and dynamism. This silhouette is fleshed out by large, fluently contoured surfaces, the exterior appearing as if cut from a single mould. Aerodynamic requirements define the car’s progressive appearance down to its details. Barely visible joins and the flush integration of glass into the main body lend the study a modern and technical overall impression. The tension between large surfaces and finely worked details points to the innovative technology at the heart of the car in an understated yet intuitively appreciable way, rather than advertising it in grandiose fashion. And that is very much in keeping with the identity of BMW i: “I do more with less”.

Iconic window graphic symbolises the interior experience of the future.

Within the smoothly flowing, neatly aligned progression of the surfaces along the car’s flanks, the new characterisation of the window profile is a standout feature of the BMW i Vision Dynamics. This iconic styling cue, which made its debut on the first wave of BMW i models, is depicted here in a fresh, likewise function-led interpretation and also sharpens the identity of the car’s flanks. Their virtually symmetrical form allows all passengers an equally good view out, highlighting the attention paid to the passengers and the shared driving experience in the interior. This is something that will gain further in importance in the future, in particular as far as (semi-) autonomous and connected driving is concerned. The distinctive driving experience is further enhanced by the full-length glass surface running from the windscreen to the rear window. This heightens the sensation of room and enables a feeling of spaciousness and freedom inside the car that belies its dynamic exterior silhouette. Viewed from the outside, the unbroken roof graphic reinforces the enclosed, modern feel of the exterior thanks to seamless transitions through the front and rear end.

Familiar icons at the front gain new significance.

The prominent, enclosed “kidneys” in the minimalist front end bring together the past and the future of BMW in more than just styling terms. Where the BMW kidneys have previously acted as a symbol for the company’s expertise in drive system development, the BMW i Vision Dynamics deploys them as declarations of technological know-how. Indeed, underlying sensors turn the kidneys into an “intelligence surface”. The headlights similarly combine tradition and the future. The classical BMW four-eyed front end is reprised here in a very modern and pared-back interpretation, two intricate, freestanding LED light elements on each side of the car’s nose integrating all the necessary lighting functions, yet also providing an extremely striking look characteristic of BMW.

Poise and dynamic allure at the rear as well.

Smooth curves guide the car’s horizontal profile when viewed from the rear and add poise and power. The tapering of the passenger cell creates broad shoulders and a muscular presence. The most eye-catching feature of the rear end are the L-shaped lights. Their slim cut underscores the dynamic efficiency of the vision vehicle on a detailed level, while at the same time accentuating its wide stance on the road.

The BMW i Vision Dynamics exudes modernity, progressiveness and an appealing technical aesthetic from every angle. As a trailblazer for the BMW brand, it showcases very clearly the BMW Group’s future vision of emotionally engaging electrified mobility. Indeed, BMW will continue to focus its attentions on sporty and elegant vehicles in the years ahead.

Source: The BMW i Vision Dynamics. A new form of electrifying driving pleasure.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 15
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

that looks promising...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • zonk1988

zonk1988 Member

Interesting. The weakest point of that car is its interpretation of kidney "grille" - it's too big and feels quite empty. I would prefer something more similar to i8.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • Matski

Matski Active Member

P90276434_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276436_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276435_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276438_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276437_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276440_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276439_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276442_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276441_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276444_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276443_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276446_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276445_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276448_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276434_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics. P90276458_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics (1).
          P90276447_highRes_bmwi-vision-dynamics.

• Like x 10
          • Winner x 3
          • Thank You x 2
          • Dislike Post x 1
          • Informative x 1
          • CrunchSlaughtered

CrunchSlaughtered Active Member

It's a pity that the real car will be available after long three and a half years, otherwise it hits the nail on the head

• CrunchSlaughtered

CrunchSlaughtered Active Member

Next concept: BMW's el. hypercar based on the formula E race-car (to out-shadow the complex MB Project ONE)

• Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

Yupp. That makes it difficult for me to be excited about the car. It's as conceptual as conceptual can be.

With the Model 3 and E-tron SUV due to reach customers hands early early next year, the BMW just feels like one of many electric concept we've seen from German auto makers the past 24 months.

• Old Info Old Info x 1
            • EnI

• Like Like x 3
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • picsoubmw

picsoubmw Well-Known Member

Tesla 3 fighter ? I thought the iNext / i Vision dynamics would be 7-series level...

As for the design, once more this year BMW try to destroy their kidney grill and the side glasshouse look like it have been inspired by Kia grill...

p90276448_highres_bmwi-vision-dynamics-.
                PMS_pro_ceed_gt_image9_1.

• Winner Winner x 2
                • Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Funny Funny x 1
                • gdm

gdm Well-Known Member

No interior was shown? not as impressive as Porsche Mission E concept two years ago.

• zonk1988

zonk1988 Member

Side detailing - line going in the middle of the doors and the line over front and rear wheelarch - reminds Tesla model 3 very much. BMW could be more creative than that.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • maragulon

maragulon Active Member

I totally disagree with you
                    p90276448_highres_bmwi-vision-dynamics--.
                    tesla-model-3-8-1180x664.

• Agree Agree x 3
                    • Thank You Thank You x 1
                    • zonk1988

zonk1988 Member

The picture above proves my opinion ;) Anyway, BMW concept looks significantly better than model 3 - mainly due to the classic sedan/4 door coupe proportions.

• EnI

This is NOT iNext! BMW iNext model, coming in 2021, will indeed be a luxury vehicle - most probably badged as i7 or even i9.

This is a car - a gran coupe - positioned between i3 and i8. So, an i4, I guess. Most probably a 4er GC replacement (while Mk2 3GT will become 4GT).

While another i model is still planned - an i5 crossover. Coming after i4 and iNext premiere.

Btw, it's now decided : future full-electric core BMW models will be badged in the similar way M Performance core models are: eg. i330e etc. ... i being BMW i logo.

• Informative Informative x 3
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

If I remember correctly the character line of BMW's usual goes through the door handles.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

This looks very, very hot. And this is what I would want when I'm looking for an full electric BMW.
                          Maybe we will see some design details at the next 3 series.

• rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

• martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

It's very nice and all but, at the same time, feels too theoretical. BMW i seems to be moving forward at a recalcitrant pace that appears to have lost the momentum garnered by the i3 and i8. Great concept but still way too conceptual.

• Agree Agree x 8
                          • Matski

Matski Active Member

I'm surprised how restrained the body work is for an i concept - it seems tame in comparison to what the i3 and i8 bought to the table. Hmmm, I don't hate it... I don't love it either... It's a nice evolution of the Vision NEXT 100, but I agree with the feeling that BMW shouldn't force changes to it's iconic styling cues quite so brutally... I get that design needs to evolve though. I wouldn't mind if some of that surfacing started making it's way to production models though.

Honestly, I personally feel this is pretty much just about BMW being able to get EV photos in the press with a 600km range quoted underneath. As a Vision vehicle, this either doesn't preview a production model, or, it's still another TWO design evolutions away from being a production car, and with no specific launch date for such a model (unless I missed it?)... It doesn't have much relevance other than showing that BMW are still aiming to be relevant. I believe there is time though. A friend of mine recently enquired about the Model 3 after a test in the Model S, he was told he probably wouldn't get the car before 2020.

The i8 Spider and i8s could bring some momentum back to the brand, is may the next battery upgrade for the i3.

• EnI

Usually. But not always... E65 7er, E60 5er, E87 / E81/ E82 /E88 1er, E83 X3, i8 etc ;)