1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured SPIED! Audi e-tron quattro

Discussion in 'The Audi Lounge' started by Fido, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Fido

Fido Well-Known Member Spy Photographer

Very first ones Spy shots!!

audi-e-tron-quattro-201737949_6. audi-e-tron-quattro-201737949_7. audi-e-tron-quattro-201737949_8. audi-e-tron-quattro-201737949_10.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • zonk1988

zonk1988 Member

Finally ;) looking quite nicely, so far it has the potential to be sexiest Audi SUV.

• EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

So, this e-tron quattro SAV is an exclusively electric Q6 - a "SAC" version of Q5, right? A baby brother to the upcoming Q7-based Q8 SAC.

While the e-tron quattro coupe crossover will be a direct rival to the Jaguar i-Pace, right?

If so, this will sell like hot cakes in premium EV-loving markets like eg US, Norway etc. I just wonder what the production capacity is going to be for the e-tron quattro & quattro coupe. Will Audi limit the production in some way, or will they fully go after meeting all the demand?

MB & BMW better hurry up with their respective electric EQ SAV & X3 / X4 etc.

• Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member Staff Member GCF Guru

^This is using it's own dedicated electric platform, so not really an electric Q6/Q5, but it's own thing.

image0.img.

If those are just electric version of the gas cars, made by stuffing some battery in the trunk/hood, they should just not even try. <Edited out my BMW rant, that is for another thread>.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
        • Agree Agree x 5
        • EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

I meant of the same segment / size / price etc

Those times are over! Sure EV platforms are specific to EVs. BUT ... they can be modular spin-offs of an already modular general platform. Like BMW is doing with the new generation of EVs - offered as core Series models. Nobody said conventional ICE platform with battery in the trunk be used for EV versions. That's passé.

From my understanding MB & VAG have developed a completely new EV platform, independent of their other, general ICE platforms. While BMW have based their new EV platform on their regular modular platforms (UKL & CLAR), therefore core Series models can be offered as EVs as well, with almost identical design to ICE and hybrid versions - bar the special trim & detailing. so, no special models or Series for EVs, just EV variants of en existing models & Series. So there's no duplicating (similar vehicle just under different sub-brand) in the same segment.

Eg. there will be EQ SUV and e-tron quattro SUV - basically EV alter egos of GLC and Q5. While BMW will offer all-electric X3 "just" as a powertrain variant. But that does not mean the standard ICE platform will be used, with battery packed in the trunk. In comparison to BMW i LifeDrive platform - which is specially developed & unique; the core, modular EV platform will be heavily based on the existing conventional core modular platforms. It's just a matter of parts sharing, some common layouts & ability of shared production on the same production line. Meaning: they will be able to produce EV X3 in US, SAR and China with conventional X3 models - not only in a special plant / or on a special, parallel production line like it's the case with i3 and i8, and will be the case with MB EQ and Audi e-tron and VW I.D. models etc.

• Like Like x 1
          • Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member Staff Member GCF Guru

^I obviously don't know anything about the new BMW platforms, but to my naive eyes, don't see how a platform that is supposed to be shared between an ICE and a BEV won't be compromised compared to a dedicated EV platform. Maybe the new platforms are advanced enough to overcome this disadvantage, maybe not. I don't know.

Also there is the marketing aspect. Again, my take - EVs are still a niche, and people who buy them want to be driving something unique, not a mainstream vehicle with an "Electric" badge.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • Serpens

Serpens Active Member

It's worth noting that in Mercedes' case, the EQ platforms are still going to share some commonalities with the MRA platform.

• KiwiRob

KiwiRob Active Member

I agree with everything you wrote except for the last paragraph, this is market dependent, in Norway for example EV's are now mainstream, there's a reason for this the govt incentives have changed buying habits.

According to my dealer the Q6 EV is bigger than the Q5 and at least over here will be cheaper due to the govt not taxing EV's. I'm not an EV fan but it's getting harder not to jump into this as an A6 replacement.

• Touring

Touring Member

Not necessarily. I think costumers now in for example Norway just want a normal car, but with an electric drive train. So I think BMW's strategy is spot on. Offer the car with 4 alternatives: diesel, gas, hybrid or electric.

• Agree Agree x 1