1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

I think both Volvo and Alfa are playing to their strengths. Volvos are historically well-built, reliable cars that favor more the luxury end of the spectrum and emphasize safety. Whereas Alfas are more on the sportier end of the spectrum so they are going to play up the performance angle with the Quadrofoglio. But they are offering up competitive engines in their more plebian offerings. I am not ready to conclude that this strategy employed by Alfa is a failure, especially since they haven't started selling the Stelvio. I have a feeling that the Stelvio will do well, and may even sell better than the Giulia especially in the CUV-crazy USA.

As much as I like what the Germans are doing, especially with the new E-class and 5er, I am more interested in what Volvo and Alfa are doing these days. It's probably because Volvo and Alfa made the bigger jump from where they were 3 years ago whereas the German makes are "business as usual" with their constant improvement in all aspects...design, performance, tech, etc.

2. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

What I'd like to note is that the basic Giulia in Greece starts at 38500€, when you can get your hands on an entry level S60 for 24500€ and an entry level 318i with decent equipment goes for 34000€ (35500€ for a 316d).

The Giulia is simply too expensive to be competitive in the segment.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • anti-VAG

anti-VAG Member

The Alfa is one which started sports sedan segment back with 1st Giulia.

BTW, this new Giulia has best score for Adult Safety in history of EuroNCAP crash tests.

• anti-VAG

anti-VAG Member

I would not agree. Entry level models are primarily there for fleet market and with them there is no margins.

And if you know how much they produced each of Giulia's versions you will be surprised. Each of 2.0 gasoline engines, even a Quadrifoglio and even a 2.2 JTD with 210 HP had bigger numbers than entry level 136 HP diesel. I think that even 180 HP diesel outsold 150 HP version.

Quadrifoglio is an extremely popular. IMO, it broke every expectation from FCA.

• Giannis

Given that I was talking about the Greek market, I believe I know what I am saying. The vast majority of entry level luxury segment sales are with the entry level engines. It's the same for Audi, BMW, MB and Volvo. It should work with Alfa, too.

:)

• anti-VAG

anti-VAG Member

FCA does not have commodity to be a charity.

• Giannis

This doesn't make sense. Are you sure you understood what I wrote?

I simply said that the majority of sales of the A4, C-Class, 3er and S60 are of the base engine and equipment. Highly spec'd up cars are quite rare.

In fact, my S60 is the most basic version with only alarm and metallic colour as options and so are the vast majority of S60 models that I see on the road.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • anti-VAG

anti-VAG Member

Yes, I got it. But why sell cat at loss?

There is also a option B. Dealers could take less margin. I know how much down they can go with for example 2.2 JTD Veloce, more than 10 000 euros.

But I must say that prices you gave seems unrealistic to me. I'm from a country with likely a lower GDP and VW Golf is a very hard to get at less than 20k euros.

• anti-VAG

anti-VAG Member

Official fuel economy for 280 HP Giulia in the US is out. And it's roomier compared to German trio.

124142cd24394dafb0fe4037def4f0f8.

7566afb4a9644f57551f31b36581571d.

• Giannis

Who talked about selling cars at a loss?

I got the prices from the brands' websites (Greek Press Club for BMW) and I assume they are correct. You add about 500€ for taxes and that's the price you end up paying.

PS. The Golf starts from 18700€ according to vw.gr

• dtd

dtd Active Member

In term of specs, I think the Giulia, is the winner. The only thing left is the reliability and how quiet the engine is at the cruising speed. I have not seen any Giulia yet in the Bay Area. The dealer network is not that big, so it's another drawback. I would wait for at least a year to see how the public embrace this hot sport sedan.
          dtd

• Mick Briesgau

Mick Briesgau Well-Known Member

Saw my first Giulia in the wild today. Must say, that pictures don't do her justice. The car looks very, very good in real live.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
          • Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 2
          • Zafiro

Zafiro Well-Known Member

a13015bf963d56fef99d8be0d485d57b.

• Like Like x 1
            • savage-It

savage-It Well-Known Member

one of the best commercial of all time?:D

• Like Like x 3
              • Winner Winner x 3
              • Funny Funny x 2
              • W201

W201 Active Member

Smart... very smart indeed :)

• savage-It

savage-It Well-Known Member

Grand Tour Test by Jeremy C. results (Giulia "Quattroformaggio" as he call the car, was tested on wet)..He seemed really excited about the car in that episode...(y)

Schermata 2017-01-13 alle 16.13.59.

A private note:
                exactly ten years ago, I subscribed to this Forum...I didn't remember the date. The Forum, remembered this to me, just this morning making me really happy since I consider this place one of the best around, for real car enthusiasts .End ...and sorry for this my private thought :whistle:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
                • Like Like x 9
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

Amen, dude. While this forum sometimes skews to the German cars (hence, GermanCarForums), for the most part the members here are civil and respectful and open-minded with very little pretense, especially when compared to other car forums out there on the interweb. Yeah, sometimes it does get emotional, but for the most part it's entertaining and educational. Kudos to the moderators and members alike.

Good to hear that QV and the Giulia receiving accolades. Here's hoping this leads to sales and success for Alfa. And all this talk of cheese makes me have a hankering for pizza.

• Like Like x 2
                  • francio

francio Member

I agree, this is a great forum ... everyone has their own preferences.. I love Giulia

• Zafiro

Zafiro Well-Known Member

I went to see the new Alfa Giulia, looking and touching. The interior is of nice quality, lots of soft plastic around the big places. The plastic between the front seats and where the gearbox is located is hard plastic but that's the same with the germans. Feel from the buttons are okey.
                    The standard seats where my butt is placed are too thin for me and not supportive enough but I guess Alfa is available with optional sportseats. I fit in the backseat tjohooo.

Exterior my girlfriend don't think its attractive enough. She was more impressed with their Giulietta. I think it's a nice design altough there is something about the 3/4 of the rear that disturbs me.
                    Best looking car in the segment? I still rank 3er and C-class ahead of Alfa. The overall design from BMW and MB is more my taste.

The demo car wasn't in the house so I have to come back for a testdrive.

• Informative Informative x 3
                    • manuelf

manuelf Active Member

• Like Like x 1