1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured OFFICIAL 2018 Lexus LS

Discussion in 'Lexus LS' started by Sniper, Jan 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gianclaudio

Gianclaudio Well-Known Member

• Funny Funny x 7
    • DJRaze99

DJRaze99 Well-Known Member

The interior is a total mess, crammed most of the force will not make it elegant and luxurious ...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Monster

Monster Global Moderator Staff Member

There might still be a little hope. The LC, on the other hand, looks stunning.

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

2018 Lexus LS versus the Germans
          How the newest Lexus flagship luxury sedan stacks up against Audi, BMW, and Mercedes.

Ever since the first version debuted in 1989, the Lexus LS has been designed to compete one-on-one with the best German luxury sedans. The same is true of the all-new 2018 LS introduced this week at the Detroit Auto Show; it’s positioned to take on the likes of the Audi A8, BMW 7 Series, and Mercedes-Benz S-Class. So, how does the newest Lexus flagship stack up against its three German targets?

To be fair to the Lexus LS, which so far has been shown in only one model, we’re comparing the German sedans that most closely match it in terms of size and powertrain: the Audi A8 L 3.0T, BMW 740i, and Mercedes-Benz S550.

bfe2f1518308f11450a4af2625acebd7.

bd7cbc782102cec70168e9d3a9413429.
          e9a998e0b48ef843c67ecf92c2ea643e.

5165f4f048e30d83534965afa286cb5a.

Size And Spaciousness

The 2018 Lexus LS measures 206.1 inches long and sits on a 123.0-inch wheelbase. That makes it larger than the Mercedes-Benz S-Class (by about eight inches of length), but just a smidge smaller than the Audi A8 and BMW 7 Series. We don’t yet know how much space will be available inside the LS; in vehicles like this that are intended to provide a luxurious ride, rear legroom is key.

2018 LEXUS LS 500 AUDI A8 L 3.0T BMW 740i MERCEDES-BENZ S550
          Wheelbase 123.0 Inches 122.9 Inches 126.4 Inches 124.6 Inches
          Length 206.1 Inches 207.4 Inches 206.6 Inches 206.5 Inches
          Rear Legroom N/A 42.9 Inches 44.4 Inches 43.1 Inches
          Rear Headroom N/A 39.1 Inches 38.9 Inches 37.4 Inches

Among the Germans, it’s the new BMW 7 Series that has the most rear legroom, at 44.4 inches compared to 42.9 in the A8 and 33.4 in the S-Class. Headroom, too, impresses in the BMW, at 38.9 inches.

Weight, Weight, Don’t Tell Me
          Lexus has not yet divulged a weight for its new LS, but the company does say it cut at least 200 pounds (90.7 kilograms) compared to the outgoing model. That lets us guesstimate a starting curb weight of somewhere between 4,033 to 4,695 pounds for the new LS, based on the range of masses quoted for the 2017 car. That will compete very nicely against the Germans. The A8 L 3.0T is 4,464 pounds, the 740i is skinnier at 4,195 pounds, and the S550 is a heftier 4,663 pounds.

Curb Weight 4,033 - 4,695 Pounds (est.) 4,464 Pounds 4,195 Pounds 4,663 Pounds

Powertrain Choices
          On sale for some time already, the Audi, BMW, and Mercedes luxury sedans offer several different powertrains. So far, the Lexus LS 500 has just one, a 3.5-liter biturbocharged V6 good for 415 horsepower and 442 pound-feet of torque. With a 10-speed automatic transmission and rear-wheel drive, Lexus says that’ll send the big sedan to 60 miles per hour in 4.5 seconds. Both RWD and AWD variants will be available.

The BMW 740i and Audi A8 L 3.0T are right on top of the LS in performance. From BMW, its a 3.0-liter turbocharged inline-six with 320 hp and 332 lb-ft, sent through an eight-speed automatic; both rear- and all-wheel drive are offered. With rear-drive, you’ll reach 60 mph in a claimed 5.4 seconds. The Audi, which comes only with all four wheels driven, extracts 333 hp and 325 lb-ft from a 3.0-liter supercharged V6, sending it through an eight-speed automatic. It’ll reach 60 mph in 5.5 seconds.

Engine Biturbo 3.5-Liter V6 Supercharged 3.0-Liter V6 Turbo 3.0-Liter I6 Biturbo 4.7-Liter V8
          Power 415 Horsepower 333 Horsepower 332 Horsepower 449 Horsepower
          Torque 442 Pound-Feet 325 Pound-Feet 332 Pound-Feet 516 Pound-Feet
          Transmission 10-Speed Automatic 8-Speed Automatic 8-Speed Automatic 9-Speed Automatic
          0-60 MPH 4.5 Seconds 5.5 Seconds 5.4 Seconds 4.8 Seconds

This is the point, however, where we must note that the S550 is the outlier in this comparison. It’s the least-powerful non-hybrid S-Class variant sold here currently, but it still is a sledgehammer compared to its competition. A 4.7-liter biturbo V8 delivers 449 hp and 516 lb-ft through a nine-speed automatic. That’s enough for a 4.8-second sprint to 60 mph.

Luxury And Technology Features
          The 2018 Lexus LS options sheet includes highlights like a Mark Levinson surround-sound audio system, various wood and aluminum trim pieces, heated/cooled/massaging rear seats, air suspension, 28-way heated/cooled/massaging front seats, active noise cancellation, a 12.3-inch navigation display with handwriting recognition input, and a 24-inch color head-up display. In terms of active-safety tech, look for pedestrian detection that can brake and/or steer around someone walking in the roadway, pre-collision braking, lane-departure alert, adaptive cruise control, and automatic high beams.

The German rivals mostly compete very well in terms of luxury features, and some even go farther. The Mercedes S-Class, for instance, has heated armrests in addition to heated seats. The BMW 7 Series has an active system to prevent you from changing lanes if there’s a car in your blind spot. And both have sophisticated semi-autonomous highway driving features; it’s unclear how much steering input the Lexus LS will provide. The Audi A8 is the oldest entry in this class but still has all those features, like air suspension massaging seats, LED headlights, night vision, an available high-end sound system, and so on.

d9908f124a13a80a75a9b3d90c24d2eb.

19b65a8318f4a5efa97f0cbcab8d0c46.
          9144ec614cddcb7b8f86ed022407cd48.

9c7c554f676f07e4994de832560cf34b.

Design

Though style is always very subjective, the 2018 Lexus LS is a great update to the nameplate. The brand’s enormous spindle grille dominates the nose, but elsewhere the LS’ styling cues are reasonably subdued and subtle. Note the gently flowing surfaces with few dramatic creases, the bulbous rear haunches, and upswept beltline aft of the rear doors.

The new BMW 7 Series was only an evolutionary update, visually, from its predecessor. It is still defined by a bit hockey stick-like design cue on the body sides. The Audi A8 wears perhaps the sharpest, tautest sheetmetal, with lots of straight lines across its body. And the Mercedes S-Class splits the difference, with plenty of curves all over, but also several sharp character lines.

Inside, the biggest similarity between the S-Class and the new Lexus LS is the use of big widescreen displays for the instrument cluster and navigation displays that are integrated in-line with the dash. The Audi A8’s infotainment displays pops up and rises out of the dashboard, while in the 7 Series, the display is fixed atop the dashboard.

How They Drive
          Of course, the real test will be when we get behind the wheel – and into that reclining back seat – of the 2018 Lexus LS later this year. The car is scheduled to go on sale by the end of the year, with pricing to be announced at some point over the next several months.

Source: motor1

• Like Like x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • SDNR

SDNR Well-Known Member

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Uh-oh... I kinda like it. :oops:

Surprised by all the comments about the proportions being terrible when, actually, they're rather good. It think it'll have huge road presence - it's quite a "statement" car.
              In all, a refreshing change from the mundanity of three box saloon design.

• shonguiz

shonguiz Well-Known Member

I want to like this car, I think it has balls and is doing exactly what people always asked Lexus to do. Stop copying and bring original ideas and design.

Edit: Btw is that a screen passenger or a piece of wood ?

• hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

Lexus has overprocessed the crap out their press pics. I think the RL pics are a better representation of the car's proportions, especially the side profile.

7b49c4d03c9b6dcce18117a2d851e5c3.
              3d34af74aa62789fbe95ac98c663f0af.
              23999af62e68dfe5ac7c34305e9bc83a.

I think this car is one of my favorite designs right now. The BMW VFL Concept has been one of my favorite designs and I see the spirit of that design in this, especially in the side profile and interior. It's a low and wide to the ground which the opposite to the LS that was introduced 2 generations ago which looked clumsy and would seem to topple over if there was a strong crosswind. The spindle ("predator") grilled actually seems to work because it seems more raked and less upright in previous applications. The rear is boring and inoffensive.

The interior is a big step forward. As much as I savage those sweeping lines in Audi's Q7, it works much better here. I do wish though they had applied on to wood rather than black plastic. Lexus sorely needs to update their U/I graphics, it's pretty shameful. I am not a fan of how they have set up the instrument binnacle in front of the driver. I wish they had a bigger high def screen that's configurable rather than having that screen in the middle flanked by two gauges. I have not used a track-pad in a car, but it looks to be frustrating experience. I think BMW has the best set-up with their IDrive joystick and touchscreen. Otherwise the interior looks to be a wonderful place to spend time in.

Now regarding the TT-V6, as long as it's smooth, provides ample power and pleasing to the ears, I don't see this as a liability. Frankly if I were looking for large luxury sedan, I am not looking to drag race. The inline-six in the 7er or the new one in the F/L S-class is more than enough for me. Handling and ride do look to be promising. Using the GA-L platform, most of the engine mass seems to be behind the front axle.
              8413316c450fcbb03c67e9b3591e59ac.
              And other points that have been mentioned in their PR regarding their suspension, 4WS, etc., coupled with the advertised loss of 200 pounds form the previous gen, I expect good things.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 2
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • sako97

sako97 Well-Known Member

Being that this GCF - coupled with Lexus' polarizing design language, the response was bound to be more negative than postive. I say quality-wise the interior will be very strong competition for the German trio.

Compared to the alternatives of the executive saloon category (QP & XJ), the LS would be my choice

The D4 A8's exterior has not aged well and judging the spy shots, the D5 won't be much of an improvement

• Agree Agree x 6
                • Monster

Monster Global Moderator Staff Member

I agree as well, I am starting to change my mind after seeing these better RL photos. Those press photos are horrible, especially the initial ones which shows the car with the proportion of a boat.

The interior design is refreshingly different, and for the first time there is a consistent theme that is carried throughout the entire cabin. Design is subjective, but the level of attention to detail is there.

However, much like what others have said already, the graphics and design of the infotainment system needs an urgent update.

• hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't get why carmakers go hog-wild with photoshop regarding their press pics. BMW, Ferrari, and others just as guilty. Just silly.

Initially I said was pretty ambivalent to the inoffensive rear, but one detail I really do not like is the chrome bit on the rear lights.

a3d01d4a86b8205958784e9e11ab98df.

If the car was in any other colo(u)r than this gun-metal, it'd truly stand out and not in a good way. Also I'd wager it will look disjointed with the center chrome bit.

• ThroughandThrough

ThroughandThrough Well-Known Member

^ I noticed that, too.

Aside from the three reverse LEDs, the taillight's bottom half appears to be wasted space, something I associate with poor design.

I just noticed the driving mode selector is mounted as the right "horn." It seems Lexus compromised ergonomics for a wow factor.

Lexus-LS_500-2018-1600-32.

• HUTSUTAo

HUTSUTAo Well-Known Member

That did not wow me though

• Sovereign

Sovereign Well-Known Member

The comparison of interiors is great. Audi still has a very attractive interior. I like the Lexus interior also. It may be the most unique of all as Mercedes and BMW interiors are lend to the lower models also like the E and the 5. S still rules interior and exterior wise. Its in a different class compared to the three IMO. A notch or two above. BMW to my eyes look the most mundane here in the pictures. The interior is nice but that is all. The exterior is just too plain and a bit boring.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Sovereign

Sovereign Well-Known Member

There must be some mistake here. The new LS can't be 8 inches longer than the w222 S class LWB.

Wikipedia shows that the SWB W222 is 201.4 inches with 119.5 inches wheelbase. The LWB W222 is 206.5 inches with 124.6 inch wheel base. So the LWB is a bit longer

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
                    • Agree Agree x 2
                    • martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

2nd day back into this thread and, after some more processing, I'm a fan! Love that low hoodline and big-looking wheels.

• lafars

lafars Active Member

from the right angle/lighting it looks perfect

• Disagree Disagree x 2
                      • Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

After letting it grow on me for a couple of days, I actually like it.

If you are willing to let some details slide, details like the Zoro signature headlights, it's actually quite imposing, fresh and modern. It doesn't come from the German design school after all.

It's nowhere near my cup of tea, but I actually like it.

• Mick Briesgau

Mick Briesgau Well-Known Member

After digesting some days, I'm actually quite impressed by the exterior design. Like it's présence combined with a touch of stretched elegance. Interior design looks good and different from it's German rivals. Some details I don't like: the two mounted horns and the infotainment graphics for instance. I'm curious about how it drives.

• Useful Useful x 1
                        • DjordjeC63

DjordjeC63 Active Member

That "normal-custom-comfort-sport" handle shouldn't be located there in car of this class. Also I don't think that material od that bit is up to class.