1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPIED! 2018 BMW 1-Series Spy Pics and Info

Discussion in '1 Series' started by rs271, Jun 9, 2014.

1. mini_cooper4

mini_cooper4 Well-Known Member

And the best of all... No freaking EPS!!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Matski

Matski Member

That awkward moment when the 2 litre diesel automatic 3 series GT sold better in your country than the last I6 NA RWD non EPS BMW....

• Funny Funny x 1
      • SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

it's a possibility. Some markets are already showing SUVs eclipsing traditional segments.

• SCOTT27

I have made my own opinions about certain products under BMW Group. Especially my feelings against the new MINI Countryman. In fact I saw this comparison and I thought of you guys.
        image.
        The New MINI Countryman.
        image.
        A Zippie? Something that entertains Children in the UK:confused:
        Spot the Difference...

• Winner Winner x 1
        • Cabasse0

Cabasse0 Active Member

Simple by the fact that the volume are too low to be a single platform for the 1 so using the clar is simply too expensive regarding the price tag of the 1 hatch market
          But using the ukl on which 800k units are built among the Bmw group (including mini) is more profitable ...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
        • Fido

Fido Well-Known Member Spy Photographer

I've got to see anything that you're saying...

• tristatez28lt1

tristatez28lt1 Well-Known Member

ea80091529558d9d5239b3c263f60ddb. ce05c88b6525b383ea370140405c0b8d.

• Like Like x 1
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • SCOTT27

Edgy.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • klier

klier Member

Except there won't be any 'vanity space' between the front wheel and the front door, so decorating that part will not work like on normal Bimmers.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • SCOTT27

Check the MINI Clubman on how the breather is practically merged with the wheel arch.

• domleo999

domleo999 Member

Mmhmm. Reduce the hood and the vanity space and it will start to look realistic - the proportions on the current hatch are amazing

• Matski

Matski Member

I've continued this conversation in this thread as it seems more appropriate

I doubt the volumes of the I6 models justify it.

If UKL was designed to do it (which I don't think it was), and the volumes warranted changing all the engine ancillaries and the gearbox etc, I suppose it might be possible...

.. but even IF UKL was supposed to do it, and IF there was volume to support it.. would it really be worth the hassle? They'll still sell plenty of Transverse I4 M35i badged models, and it might not actually be the best solution for the car...

In the image I made below you can see the differences in platform between the F20 and the the UKL platform the next 1-er will ride on.

trans.

First thing to note is how the blue purpleapparently high-lighted area is common to all the cars - so whatever they can do with one, they can do with all. If you also look at the distance between the suspension turrets on the F20 and the centre of the firewall - it's much bigger than on the UKL cars - and still requires a large orifice for the transmission. This means a lot of the mass of the engine and trans is behind the front wheels. Now imagine if they could get an engine and gearbox between the chassis legs on the UKL cars, it would all sit pretty much on the front wheels, so the mass is further forward on UKL, and an I6 will be heavier than making do with an I4... so while we might like I6's it could be a poor selection from a weight and placement point of view...

@domleo999 thought I'd tag you for your interest.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
                • Informative Informative x 4
                • Like Like x 2
                • Winner Winner x 1
                • domleo999

domleo999 Member

@Matski you my friend are a legend. Those illustrations are really informative, and really shows the practical and space benefits of the UKL compared to that RWD chassis.

The I4 will have to do - fitting the I6 transversely, as matski has pointed out, is a huge amount of effort for a low volume variant, and it's not what a BMW I6 is about. I doubt they would ever develop - say - a 5 cylinder engine either.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

@Matski - you've it wholly and completely wrong.

That's purple, not blue.

• Funny Funny x 3
                    • Winner Winner x 1
                    • Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

You can notice the transmission tunnel is almost missing in the UKL models also which could have an effect on torsional rigidity of the chassis compared to the F20. The F20 has a much more complicated arrangement for the struts mounts with extra reinforcement bars welded to the firewall compared to simple stamped pressed mounting for UKL.

• Matski

Matski Member

Curse my eyes with their imbalance of colour receptors...

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Yes, do that. Here's the problem with setting the bar high with consistently excellent posts - you create an expectation.
                        Next time, squint harder. Sheesh.

• Funny Funny x 3
                        • Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

I'd also tag @SCOTT27, since your post so clearly shows under purple highlight what's fundamentally wrong with BMW these days...

:)

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • Funny Funny x 2
                          • Mr. Mercedes

Mr. Mercedes Well-Known Member

• SF Dede

SF Dede Active Member