1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPIED! 2018 Audi A8 Spy Pics & Info

Discussion in 'A8/S8' started by tristatez28lt1, May 21, 2014.

1. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

So is the A8 in Spider-Man?

2. hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

I am going to wait till July 11. I am not underwhelmed....yet, but I am definitely on the fence.

Yup

3. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Ok. Figures Marvel love their Audi's. Just as Mission:Impossible loves their BMW's.

4. Jimmy

Jimmy Well-Known Member

I very much like the dashboard. Very "technoid", precise and devoid of clutter. Next to the series II Panamera, this could easily become my favorite luxury-segment dash. At least until the new Bentley Contis/Flying Spur are presented.

So accuse me of "VAGitis" ! But no worries, folks. Diehard BMW and/or M-B aficionados will be immune, I suspect.

As for the exterior teasers (so far), I'm quite far from reaching a personal verdict at this point. But hey, at least the grill doesn't seem to have been sourced from corporate cousin MAN (*cough* pre-facelift D4 A8 *cough').

5. rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

At this time I'm still not disappointed. Quite the opposite.

6. W201

W201 Active Member

I wonder if in the next teaser child in the back will be poking his nose :D

Anyways, I'm starting to like Audi's style - it is both elegant and athletic, and not in your face (apart form the stupid single frame grille).

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Dawid21

Dawid21 Active Member

AudiA8aaa.

a little too low could I display in A8, because the driver will have to tilt your head, it could be like in the current D4.

• Creative Creative x 1
      • rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

:ROFLMAO:

• hoffmeister_fan

I think it's just right, mostly because the screen in front of the driver will provide him/her with all the info s/he needs.

The interior looks promising.

If the kid did, there might be bunch a people who get mad for seeing a kid do what most kids do, have done, and will probably continue to do.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

Interesting. Few days ago when new VW Polo was introduced VW bosses made a point the new Polo would featured a touch display positioned higher on the dashboard, so it would be safer to use it - since a driver wouldn't have to look down when using the display. And they were very proud about that feature.

New-Polo-R-Line-3.

And here we have Audi with touch display positioned deeper down the dashboard. Weird.

AudiA8aaa.

It's like VW and Audi have separate R&D programs for ergonomics. Odd.

• Agree Agree x 4
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • hoffmeister_fan

I am making an assumption on my part, but I bet the Polo doesn't have steering controls that work on configurable screen that's in front of the driver or voice-control. But I could be wrong as a lot of creature comforts are trickling down to lower-tiered cars at a quicker rate than before.

EDIT: Major oversight on my part. Didn't realize that a) After seeing the teaser for thePolo, I didn't notice the full reveal already happen. And b), I had to clear my browser cache to actually see the pics of the Polo. I have to go read Polo's press release to see if there's voice control.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 11:23 AM
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Busty

Busty Active Member

They indeed have different departments :). Yes, there is no doubt, this screen is positioned way too low. Not to mention the other one below it where all the A/C functions and the 'keyboard' will be located. And no, the instrument cluster is not an ideal work-around, as it is also (factually) not a good location for the display of complex information. Eye movement and adaptation to it take a lot of effort and time, showing maps etc. on that screen is utter non-sense.
              As a consequence of that overall constellation, quite a few functionalities will be locked while driving. (At least, that is the last thing I heard from the technical development guys.)

A focus was put on the 'touch' aspect. And with regard to that, the positioning of the screens (the upper one protrudes from the dash) is quite optimal.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 11:35 AM
            • klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

Central monitor looks dangerously far away from the windshield....but I guess Audi knows what it's doing..
              Screen is pretty much in the exact same position as the E38, E39 and E46! WTF this is backwards.

And @hoffmeister_fan, the Polo also has a configurable screen in front of the driver ;)

• Useful Useful x 1
              • klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

Just too bad Marvel has 5 $100+ million movies a year, while M:I is stuck with Tommy from the '80s (he sucks so very much)

• sako97

sako97 Well-Known Member

Very teutonic looking interior

Audi was one of the first to implement an infotainment screen at the highest possible position so the driver can keep their eyes on the road, now it seems like they've recanted entirely.

At least the days of a screen popping up in the middle of the dashboard will come to an end.

• Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

Doesn't mean an advert has to be made out of it. ;)

• hoffmeister_fan

Yeah, last time I ventured in the Polo thread was when VAG released the rear-light teaser. I am pretty ambivalent regarding the Polo as we don't get that in the States. That said, I finally did and am impressed with it. I am a sucker for those tartan seats in the GTI. I breezed through the press release and found anything regarding voice control.

Are referring to the MMI screen found in the in the instrument binnacle? Off the top of my head, I remember the 2001 E65 7er had in their iDrive screen in the driver's line of sight. There's possibly another car preceded the 7er, but it's not coming to me right now.

EDIT: literally as I clicked post, I re-read the embolden part. Pardon my pendantry.

Fair enough. I won't go too much into a screed because it was done already when the commercial was posted. Just 2 points: 1) as an ad, we are still talking about, so it's somewhat effective being stuck in our collective minds. Whether that encourages someone partake in the services or goods offered, that's another question, and 2) I've been around enough people, especially kids, who've done acts more disgusting and cringe-worthy. So yeah, I cringed, but kids do kid things.

• CrunchSlaughtered

CrunchSlaughtered Active Member

Is there any info on how much AUDI is earning per an A8? The actual generation compared to the BMW 7er is selling in smaller numbers for less money, but it should cost more to be produced: ASF, Quattro, V6 for the mass versions(more expensive than R6 but in the same time worse). How profitable is it for AUDI?

• Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

I honestly think the Polo interior looks more interesting than the A8, but then we will have to wait for clear shots of the Audi interior to give final verdict, but I feel definitely not too impressed. Abit too low rent for me with those airvents too much like A4 and Passat.

• hovabongZA

hovabongZA Active Member

lets wait for it to be revealed before we hate, some of the comments are premature.

• Agree Agree x 1