1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OFFICIAL 2017 Polo

Discussion in 'Polo/Fox' started by tristatez28lt1, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

It's amazing how the new Polo has grown, here is also a comparison with Golf 4 and 5. It's wheelbase and width is basically the same as Golf 5!

New Polo (Golf 4; Golf 5)
    Length: 4053 (4148; 4204)
    Width: 1751 (1735; 1759)
    Wheelbase: 2564 (2512: 2578)
    Height: 1446 (1440; 1479)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Seems the designer has been handed a ruler for the first time.

• rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

• EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

Current Polo is (still) - although @ the very end of its life cycle - a class above over its economy-class rivals when it comes to ride comfort / refinement, noise isolation, quality of materials in the cabin, fit&finish. What it lacks is driving dynamics (it's very lame, disengaging to drive) and competitive price for extra features (some rivals come with some features as standard; while VW offers them @ very hefty price). But when it comes to a basis car, Polo certainly rules (if you love refinement, comfort & quality).

I assume VW enhanced & upgraded the new one even more. Being longer & wide would mean even better ride comfort & refinement. Much more cabin & boot space. Noise isolation was great already in the current Polo - so I guess it will be even better. Materials & fit + finish look fine to me. So does all the (extra & costly) tech / extra features. Both exterior & interior designs are unoffensive, simple, refined yet still fresh enough.

I wonder how good the new Golf will be - with such high positioning of Polo already ... If not better enough Polo could eat into Golf sales! Especially Polo being available with all the goodies like digital cockpit with new generation infotainment system, adaptive ride, DCT, dual-zone A/C, all the radar-based active safety features etc.

• SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

If the next Fabia is as crisp as the Superb which from a design perspective is "Superb":p
      Then it should be interesting enough.
      Interesting reports out of Germany if true but the next generation SKODA Rapid gets a new name but also a C-Segment hatch placed right in Golf territory but more value for money.
      They can't keep up with demand with the Kodiaq apparently and no surprise it is exceptional value for money even against its in-house brethren.

• anti-VAG

anti-VAG Member

Didn't Polo get dimensions of Italian/French competitors from decade ago?

• anti-VAG

anti-VAG Member

Maybe Polo is good in fit and finish... But that's all. Polo from 2009 is still in many area behind Punto from 2005.

But now it finally got bigger, up to competitor's size if not bigger.

Stylistically I prefer Ibiza's exterior.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

In what areas?

• martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

:ROFLMAO: "Competitors" - cute.
        :hilarious: Just stick to the Giulia threads. At least there you've got some semblance of competitiveness.

• klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

Haha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

The 'many' is what truly got me. Golden.

None. Don't bother.

• Giannis

No, I'm curious.

The 2005 Punto is great fun to drive and that's it. I wonder what other hidden traits the Punto has that I was not aware of.

• klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

In 2005, there was nothing a Punto had over the German competition. In 2005, the Punto was a freaking dead relic already. Mentioning a Punto in 2017 is just not funny.

Edit;

Only thing about the Punto I could find is the gasoline engine: the Twinair twocilinder turbo in fact is the cleanest gasoline engine currently on sale in The Netherlands.

But then again, it's actually meant for lawnmowers.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 4:05 AM
      • anti-VAG

anti-VAG Member

VAG products always sucked in B-segment. Their platforms were uncompetitive. MQB-A0 will change it.

I'm not talking about engines, transmission or infotainment system. I'm talking about automotive platform or architecture.

It's no different with A4 compared to its German rivals. Fleet queen. It's norm for VAG.

• Giannis

You are kidding, right? Especially in terms of platform (chassis) the Polo was always a step ahead of the competition ever since the 90s!

• anti-VAG

anti-VAG Member

You must respect different opinions. There are numbers to prove some of them. And keep in mid that you must look for non German or German owned media to more un-biased reviews. Things are very different from the other side.

• Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

No, not when an opinion is utter rubbish.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Giannis

I am actually quite curious about what numbers you have to prove your opinion.

Mind you that I've driven basically most of Polo's competitors since the early 90s. I'd certainly not pick a Polo, if I were to buy another B segment car, but you do have to admit that its chassis always felt a segment above the competition.

Leaving looks aside, it may be dull to drive, it used to lack powerful enough engines, it's quite expensive for the segment, but you can't say it sucks.

• hannaz

hannaz Well-Known Member

• martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Please provide the numbers for the "platform and architecture" you refer to.

• klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

There is no other side. German media is not biased.

And also, I can disrespect all I want even when it's not rubbish.
          I don't have to do anything. I disrespect what I want when I want.