1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

Thanks very much Sunny.

Basically, I have spreadsheets which I keep updated with the technical data of various cars. For a car like the BMW 540i, I regard that as a single turbo, as it's a twin-scroll single turbo. I just wanted to know what I put in my spreadsheet for this new OM 656 engine. Is it a traditional twin-turbo or is it a single twin-scroll turbo.

2. Sovereign

Sovereign Well-Known Member

Agreed. But compared to the bracelet inspired bumper the AMG bumper is a better option IMO. The design of the bracelet inspired bumper gives a strange feeling of some one having bracelet on a toothless jaw. I guess its because the bumper has the dark (empty) and long horizontal opening behind the equally long bracelet.

3. martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

No electric turbocharger (actually an electrically driven supercharger) in the OM656.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • BMW3GT

BMW3GT Member

@Betty Swollocks: The OM656 uses a two-stage turbocharger delivered by BorgWarner called R2S.
      The M256 uses a twin-scroll turbo with a 67mm compressor wheel, a 59mm turbine wheel and an electric wastegate valve. The electric supercharger is sourced by BorgWarner (it's the so called "LM25TF" E-Booster). Daimler is the first automaker to receive this electric supercharger from BorgWarner.
      Here is a short video for better understanding:

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • martinbo

^ That's such a cool vid. Love it. But just to be absolutely clear - it does not show the turbocharging arrangement for the OM656 which is what BMW3GT was specific to point out.

• BMW3GT

BMW3GT Member

Yup, you are right. I missed that :D

Here is the video:

• Like Like x 2
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • martinbo

:D Erm - actually you didn't miss it. That's what I pointed out that you pointed out. That you were specific that the video was NOT for the OM256.

• Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm still confused!

So, in my spreadsheet I list the N55 and B58 (for example) petrol engines as a "turbo" as they have a single twin-scroll turbo. Correct?

I list the B57 engine in the 730d as a "Turbo", the 740d as a "twin-turbo", and the 750d as a "quad-turbo"?

In the pre-facelift S-Class, I list the OM642 as a "Turbo", correct?

In the facelift S-Class, I list the OM656 as a "twin-turbo". It has two conventional turbos, in sequence, so it's a "twin-turbo"? The OM256 has a small electric turbo and a bigger conventional turbo in sequence, so I would describe that as "e-turbo/turbo"?

• Like Like x 1
          • martinbo

Not for much longer.

Correct.

Correct.

Correct.

OM656 - Correct.
            M256 [Petrol engine] Correct.

See... eezy peezy.

• Like Like x 3
            • Wolfgang

Wolfgang Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

Yes, and here's the recent eBooster press release. :)

BorgWarner’s eBooster® Electrically Driven Compressor Celebrates Premiere
              • Nearly instant boost and torque for a fun-to-drive experience

• Enables small-engine fuel economy with big-engine boost

• Improves performance for combustion and hybrid vehicles
              BorgWarner, a global leader in clean and efficient technology solutions for combustion, hybrid and electric vehicles, debuts its 48-volt eBooster® electrically driven compressor in Daimler’s latest 3.0-liter gasoline engine. The engine will feature the eBooster technology matched with a BorgWarner-supplied turbocharger to improve fuel efficiency, enhance low-end torque and deliver boost on demand without any perceptible turbo lag.

“Our market-leading eBooster technology enables 6-cylinder engines to deliver the same performance and even more fun-to-drive experience as a much larger conventional V8,” said Frédéric Lissalde, President and General Manager, BorgWarner Turbo Systems. “By enabling engine downsizing, eBooster technology improves fuel efficiency by 5 to 10 percent in combustion and hybrid vehicles.”

BorgWarner’s eBooster electrically driven compressor delivers boost on demand until the turbocharger takes over, improving boost at low engine speeds and nearly eliminating turbo lag. Featuring a brushless DC motor, durable samarium-cobalt magnets and highly efficient power electronics, the compact eBooster technology offers automakers flexible packaging options and can be adapted to a wide range of hybrid or combustion applications.

Mass production of BorgWarner’s eBooster solution is currently ramping up with the innovative system launching first with three global automakers, including Daimler.

• Informative Informative x 5
              • hannaz

hannaz Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 4
                • Winner Winner x 1