1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sovereign

Sovereign Well-Known Member

Tye S class is just so beautiful. This is "the best or nothing" in the automotive world. And judging from the design, material quality, performance and features at less than half or 1/3rd the price of boutique branded sedans is amazing. And the S class also provide the highest level of prestige to satisfy the egos. I guess than the boutique branded cars are for the super egos.

About the facelifted S class, I don't like the tooth bracelet inspired front bumper at all in any variant of the S. Looks cheap in the pictures IMO. Design aspects like these loose my confidence in the current design team and especially in the head of the design team. How can the designers ignore the cheesy appearance of this design aspect on otherwise a fabulous looking car. The non bracelet bumper is a must for any S class buyer IMO.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Mick Briesgau

Mick Briesgau Well-Known Member

Agree with most you wrote, except for the last sentence. The "Chrome bracelet bumper" is what I don't like either. Especially in combination with all that black plastic mesh around it, which appears even to be made of non-gloss rubber. On a light coloured car that large black part draws much to many attention and seems to be incoherent.
      The AMG line front bumper on the other hand, is too bulky imo. I like a S-klasse to be elegant and cool. This looks wannabe-sporty.

• Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

Can someone please clarify for me...the OM 656 with "two-stage turbocharger (connected in series)"...is that a "twin-turbo" or a single "twin-scroll" turbo? I think in series means it's a twin-turbo.

My M4, for example, is a twin-turbo, and they're parallel? In series, can that still be a twin-turbo?

I'm not very technically minded.

@martinbo ?

• Wunderkind

Wunderkind Active Member

It's a twin turbo in-series arrangement. The electric turbo is a smaller one (I think) that spools up electrically first and once the revs are sufficient, the larger one kicks in. I think only the larger one is twin-scroll turbocharger.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017 at 8:46 AM
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. However, now I'm even more confused. :D

• CrunchSlaughtered

CrunchSlaughtered Active Member

In series or sequential is when both turbines are driven from the same flow of exhaust gases. First the gases drive the one and after that they pass through the other. Parallel is when each turbo is driven from separated flow. For example for 6 cylinder engine, in series is when all the gasses are collected in one pipe and they pass through the first and then the second turbo, and parallel is when the gases from 3 of the cylinders are driving the first turbo and gases of the other three cylinders the second turbo

• Informative Informative x 3
        • Rolf

Rolf Well-Known Member

Maybach S560, such a stunner.

• Like Like x 6
          • Winner Winner x 1
          • mercpassion

mercpassion Active Member

The Maybach S is as stunning as always but that ridiculously chrome heavy bumper is just so un MB like and I dare say, almost hideous and excessive..sometimes its little things like these which slightly raises questions in my mind about the MB design team.

• Dawid21

Dawid21 Active Member

• Wunderkind

Wunderkind Active Member

Betty, an electric supercharger/kompressor combined with an exhaust gas driven twin scrolled turbocharger. I'm quite sure this is the arrangement.

• Wunderkind

Wunderkind Active Member

• Informative Informative x 2
              • sako97

sako97 Well-Known Member

Looking good
                IMG_5417.JPG IMG_5418.JPG IMG_5422.JPG IMG_5419.JPG

Bonus IMG_5420.JPG IMG_5421.JPG

• Like Like x 6
                • Winner Winner x 4
                • Mr. Mercedes

Mr. Mercedes Well-Known Member

What the Chinese market wants, the Germans will deliver.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Funny Funny x 2
                  • Winner Winner x 1
                  • donkeykong

donkeykong Well-Known Member

• sako97

sako97 Well-Known Member

It's the Maybach S650 cabrio; limited to 300 units

• DjordjeC63

DjordjeC63 Active Member

img_5417-.

I'm thinking how much money you have to pay for that purple isolated windshields...and then comes 10+ years old Citroen C3/Peugeot 206 and has that option.

• Like Like x 2
                      • mercpassion

mercpassion Active Member

The blue colour on the S650 Cabriolet looks really nice, only if it had the proper Maybach wheels..

• sako97

sako97 Well-Known Member

Agreed; I see these wheels on every other Benz now.. as if MB has zero creativity when it comes to wheel design. Used to be one of my favorites when the S first came out

• Like Like x 2
                        • multiflex

multiflex New Member

There are some video tests on the net where the S-Class is tested with new engines?

• Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member Staff Member GCF Guru

By "series", I am guessing they mean sequential arrangement, which case it has 2 turbos, usually a small one and a large one. The small one is used at low engine speeds to provide quick response/low turbo lag, while the larger one kicks in at higher engine speeds to provide higher boost/more power. Few cars do this,

It could also mean staged turbocharging in which the compressed air from the first one goes to the input of the 2nd one to further compress the air. Highly unlikely, as I don't know any cars that use this arrangement.

And yes, the M4 uses 2 turbocharges in parallel (as most twin turbocharged cars do), 3 cylinders feed one turbo and the other 3 cylinders feed the other one. So they both operate parallelly at the same time.

Edit: Now that I typed all that up, here is a nice video that makes it all superfluous -

Not sure where you got anything about electric turbos, didn't see any mention of it in the press release Wolfgang posted.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017 at 6:37 AM
                          • Informative Informative x 2
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • Agree Agree x 1