1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2017 Le Mans

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by hoffmeister_fan, Jun 17, 2017 at 10:03 PM.

Tags:
  1. hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

Well, damn! Looks like Toyota chance to get even a top 3 position is shot to hell.

EDIT: Two Toyotas have been retired.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017 at 10:38 PM
  2. lafars

lafars Active Member

at least it won't be as painful as the last lap retirement they had last year

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Matski

Matski Member

Porsche having some dramas too!

• tristatez28lt1

tristatez28lt1 Well-Known Member

• hoffmeister_fan

24 Hours of Le Mans - Hour 23 Recap

I can't help but feel gutted for Toyota. As much as I like Porsche, after what happened last year and how much I wanted a change from VAG dominance in endurance racing, I really wanted Toyota to win it.

It looks like this might be the last year for the LMP1 category as Porsche is rumored to pull out and pursue Formula E.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/there...42.435964607.1497666880-1803604102.1497666880

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/porsc...80.435964607.1497666880-1803604102.1497666880

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/le-mans-begs-porsche-to-stay-by-mandating-plug-in-hybri-1796175966

EDIT: ANd Porsche won it

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/porsche-claws-back-up-from-56th-place-to-win-the-2017-2-1796204388

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017 at 9:46 AM
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Matski

Matski Member

For all the excitement of a potential P2/P1 battle in the last laps of the race, it is a pretty bad sign for the sport.

• klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

Me too!

That's very, very interesting if true.

• hovabongZA

hovabongZA Active Member

I love cars , but I'm probably one of the few guys that doesn't care much about motorsports , F1, DTM or Le Mans etc.

Congrats to Porsche.

• Beemer B773ER

Beemer B773ER Well-Known Member

Ughh :( .. what a car Toyota brought to this race. So fast! Qualifying record smashed! ...but just no luck..again. Last year was heartbreak, this year was deflation, especially knowing how fast the car was. The #7 and #9 retiring within a 20 minute span, ..ughh... unbelievable.

Since Porsche hasn't yet used their high-downforce package, the remainder of the season is going to be a snooze-fest as I'm sure the Porsche will be faster. Fuji may again be the only race where Toyota has a chance now.

Ughh :(

• hoffmeister_fan

It seem anything past 6 hours, the Toyotas go to sh**. I had such high expectations for Toyota Gazoo. I really am curious as to what will happen to the LMP1 class if Porsche does decide to pull out. I wonder if the possibility of win #20 would entice them enough to stay.

I am not big motorsports guy myself, but I want to start following endurance racing and rally racing. Being in the States though makes it difficult. Today's F1 has very little interest in store for me; I'll check out the standings every now and then and learn something here on GCF or in passing.

• Matski

Matski Member

@hoffmeister_fan

Would you have the opportunity to go to Daytona or Sebring? It's just my opinion but it's much easier to fall for endurance racing if you've experienced it up close an personal. The sights, sounds and smells, the food, drink, music, and fans... seeing and hearing the cars through the day, at dusk, the glowing red brakes and exhaust flames after nightfall, the result of a hard fought night becoming clearer in the morning mist.. seeing the evolution of a gleaming racing machine into a battered and bruised embodiment of hopes and dreams, and the blood, sweat and tears of the crew and drivers fighting to get their car to the line, and sharing in a portion of their fatigue at the end of the race.

... once you've experienced this, it really helps your appreciation of the sport, and it helps give a greater emotional pay out at the end of a race, even when you've only been able to watch it online.

Endurance racing is a hard sell for casual fans, simply because of the time and effort investment required to watch the races, but I do think once you're into it, the experience is greater than many other forms of motorsport.

• Like Like x 1
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • hoffmeister_fan

Daytona is on my bucket list. It's a matter of finding time and funds in getting myself down there.

I appreciate endurance racing, but my knowledge is lacking. This year was the first time I had enough free time to go somewhere that was hosting a viewing of the race. I had some idea of the classes, but a couple enthusiasts were kind enough to explain how the race went about. I still need to get better familiar with it, and I think you are right, actually being there would get my figurative motor running.

• Like Like x 1
          • TopspeedPT

TopspeedPT Member