1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Marketing people, sales people, creating marketing people.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

• SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

What do you mean? ....you people! :ROFLMAO:

• SCOTT27

Ah I see. Well kid watches vanity promotion of Mercedes-Benz AMG GT-R. Kid knows they are getting new Mercedes.
      Kid tells all friends they are getting new Mercedes. The one in the video? Yes the one in the video.
      Cool!!!
      Go to dealer and family picks up new GLA.:(
      The point I am making is that choices, vanity and materialism does not not reflect the real world.
      Industries appeal marketing to cover all customer bases. Does Schmee etc go out and test drive a KIA or an Opel?
      With the million plus views of super cars then they only relate to the select few that can afford them.
      Although I do agree videos like this allows the view to share the fantasy if even if the presenters are pretentious berks*

*Quote from a British auto journalist.

• hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

Oh, we're ragging on Shmee? Goody!

I was very irritated by him when I was introduced to his videos. Something about his uber-cheery disposition and that face. Gawd, that face, while not the pinnacle of punchable face, it is definitely in the pantheon of punchable faces.

Over time though, either I've become more accepting or he's become less irritating; I like to think it's somewhere in between. His reviews can be somewhat informative. His "lifestyle" videos are still crap but less pretentious than the vast majority of car vloggers out there. I think what rubs me about him is his constant need to update his "garage" and him soliciting his followers what he should get next. Part of me is "good on him if he can do that." The more emotional side of me is "Oh, here we go again. This wanker wants the latest and greatest! Stick with something instead of constantly trading out cars!" I've now reached a detente with him (granted this all one-sided).

Though I'd be lying if I didn't admit that there's still desire every now and then to just punch him square between the eyes for absolutely no reason. It's just such a punchable face and I probably have some dick-ish tendencies.

All that said, I've been curious what legit auto journalists think of these vloggers who are now part of the press invite for test-drives and introductions. I mean, it seems the vast majority of these guys are well-to-do and were probably sucking on their mother's teat around the turn of the century. While at that time, Chris Harris, Meaden, and all those guys put in the time and hard work in order to rise through the ranks to be able to test some of the most desirable machines. I could chalk it up that each successive generation has it easier, but I can't help think it's absolute BS too.

Maybe this ought to be another thread, because I'm sure there's a wide-ranging of opinions on vloggers and all that.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Winner Winner x 3
      • bmwblog

bmwblog Active Member

No comment really on him being part of events and what not :))

• Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

I found this poll hilarious

• Funny Funny x 4
        • Winner Winner x 2
        • hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

I can't tell if Harris is being cheeky, half-cheeky, or fully serious. I'm surprised that DeMuro got that much hate. With him, he at least goes over each cars' quirks. Also someone mentioned Saabkyle in the twitter thread, he's at least informative.

This is my last word on this subject....well, in this thread anyway. Maybe I'm too hard on the guy, but Tim (Shmee) seems like he's nice guy. But, dammit, that face...if I were to meet him, I have to make sure that my arm is bound or something because it's difficult to control something that'd almost be a reflex.

I'm an arse.

• Funny Funny x 2
          • Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

I took that to mean Harris is giving a knowing grin, and is not seriously saying "stop being naughty".

• Matski

Matski Member

Don't be so hard on yourself, it's not you, it's him. I've been in the same room as him, and the desire to punch him is strong... fortunately it was a very very big room*, so at best I'd have maybe been able to throw a shoe at him or something.

*The room was so big in fact, that it was the live exhibition hall at the Autosport International show where he was a guest... as far as I recall, his sole purpose in the live exhibition was to be asked if he was enjoying it... who the f*** cares!?

• Winner Winner x 2
            • SCOTT27

There is another British blogger one. Who apparently berated his local Police because he had all these super cars That he could afford and they couldn't.
              And then the next day there was a story on how the family were drug dealers.

• SCOTT27

Unfortunately at the end of the day it's marketing for the 21st century. It's not about having journalistic talent but the number of followers you have on you tube,twitter and
              Instagram. Journalistic accolades are someways ignored.
              But that is the progressive world.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • bmwblog

bmwblog Active Member

Not entirely true, you can have both.

The biggest challenge for those Youtubers is impartiality. They simply "seem" to love ALL cars.

• fuhro

fuhro Active Member

Supertest coming up: Christian Gebhardt is on the Nordschleife with this M4 CS
                19388315_1448338705226818_7583693788802035096_o.

• Like Like x 6
                • Thank You Thank You x 2
                • martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Good grief - what a gorgeous machine. I need one. Badly.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • klier

klier Member

Top Poster Of Month

Just because they want the highest possible fanbase.
                    It's actually the same with Chris Harris; the more known he got, the more cars he suddenly liked.

• Agree Agree x 1