- This beautiful MC-63 hypercar concept proposes a LaFerrari-based addition to the Maserati lineup.
Beautiful lines, stunning (hypothetical) performance — and yes, that is a Maserati badge. The Maserati MC-63 hypercar concept was designed by Andrea Ortile of Torina, Italy. It shares its base with the all-powerful LaFerrari and draws its inspiration from the iconic Tipo 63 Birdcage race car of Le Mans fame.
“The design is inspired by the famous race car the 1961 Maserati Tipo 63 Birdcage,” says its designer. “The elegance and the sport of the Italian brand live together in this car.”
With that history in mind, Ortile set to work on creating a hypercar worthy of the “63” moniker. Sleek, aggressive lines show its general similarities to the LaFerrari. But a more elegant approach in developing certain aspects of the car separates it from the hyper aggressiveness of...
- To celebrate 120 years of SA motoring heritage, Ferdi de Vos arranged a meeting of the first ever ‘M-car’, the South African built BMW 530 MLE, and the latest special, SA-specific M5 model, the Pure Metal Edition.
Johannesburg - Bavarian automaker BMW is celebrating its centenary in 2016 and South Africa is commemorating 120 years of motoring heritage this week.
Bringing together these two milestones is an exclusive and very rare 5 Series performance model (conspicuous in its absence from BMW’s world-wide celebrations) and the latest instalment in the local 5 Series M-car tradition - the limited Pure Metal Edition.
In contrast to all the hype surrounding this run-out F10 model (all 20 were sold before they reached local shores) the role of the MLE in establishing the M-brand has been very much downplayed.
Taking into account that this lightweight E12 sedan actually preceded the...
- New edition of the world’s best-selling racing car
New 911 GT3 Cup with ultra-modern drive
Stuttgart. Boasting a completely redeveloped drive, the Porsche 911 GT3 Cup will take to the starting line on the world’s race tracks from 2017. The rear of the world’s most-produced GT racing car now houses a 4-litre, six-cylinder flat engine for even more drive. Thanks to thoroughbred motorsport technology, the compact engine with direct fuel injection delivers peak performance of 357 kW (485 hp).
A range of innovative details also improve efficiency in addition to engine performance, ensuring even better durability of the naturally aspirated engine in racing mode and reduced maintenance costs. A valve drive with rigidly mounted rocker arms and a central oil feed is being used for the very first time. What’s more, an integrated oil centrifuge is used to optimise oil defoaming in the engine. A crankshaft...
- Audi will be presenting the most dynamic model of the A3 model series, the Audi RS 3 sedan at this year’s Motor Show in Paris*. With a 400 hp five-cylinder engine, groundbreaking efficiency and an even sharper look, it is the first compact Audi sedan to bear the RS label.
The new 2.5 TFSI outputs 294 kW (400 hp) – 33 hp more than its predecessor. That makes it the most powerful five-cylinder engine on the world market. Its 480 Nm (354.0 lb-ft) of torque is available at engine speeds between 1,700 and 5,850 revolutions per minute for outstanding tractive power. The compact RS model sprints from 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in just 4.1 seconds. It can attain a maximum speed of 250 km/h (155.3 mph); on request Audi will increase the electronically limited top speed to 280 km/h (174.0 mph). The unique sound of the five-cylinder unit intensifies an already emotionally charged driving experience. Its sound comes from having...
- The Audi Q5 is a genuine success story – it is the world’s top-selling SUV in its class. The new generation follows on seamlessly from its predecessor. In Paris, it also gives a large number of highlight features their first public showing. For instance the new Q5 is even more efficient and dynamic. All thanks to new engines, a reduced weight and the best aerodynamics in its competitive field. The new quattro drive with ultra technology also plays its part. This always disengages the rear-axle drive whenever it is not needed, and if necessary it can predictively re-engage it. The new concept boosts efficiency without diminishing traction or driving dynamics.
The Q5 also redefines the benchmark in terms of comfort and practicality. Customers have various chassis options to choose from, including air suspension. Inside, you are greeted by sophisticated materials, excellent build quality and even more space. A comprehensive range of refined technical...
- Paris/Stuttgart. With "Generation EQ", Mercedes‑Benz shows how electric cars can soon move into the fast lane: the concept vehicle, with the appearance of a sporty SUV coupé, gives a preview of a new generation of vehicles with battery-electric drives. The dynamic exterior design with its new electro-look underlines the focus on the powerful electric drive system: two electric motors, with a system output that can be increased to up to 300 kW thanks to scalable battery components, and permanent all-wheel drive deliver the guarantee of dynamic high-level performance. With a range of up to 500 kilometres and the typical Mercedes strengths of safety, comfort, functionality and connectivity, "Generation EQ" meets every demand in terms of contemporary, sustainable mobility. Also on the inside, the vehicle offers innovative solutions, including a completely new interior concept. Celebrating its world premiere at the Paris Motor Show, "Generation EQ" is...
- The BMW Group has chosen the Paris Motor Show 2016 to present the BMW Concept X2. This new addition to the compact segment has a distinctive design that stands apart from that of the other X models and also draws on the BMW Group’s history of coupe-making. The result is a compact concept exuding urban sporting appeal.
“The BMW Concept X2 is a vehicle for active people looking for a combination of enjoyment and practicality,” explains Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design. “The concept displays a new and exciting facet of the BMW brand within the compact segment.”
The design – a successful blend of dynamic appeal and solidity.
The design of the BMW Concept X2 fuses apparent contradictions into a single coherent statement. “The BMW Concept X2 combines the fast-moving body language and low-slung proportions of a coupe with the robust construction of an X model. This is a sporty vehicle with a bold character, and it allows...
- 350bhp, fully-electric, autonomous concept makes its debut in Paris
Renault’s Trezor is a classic piece of concept car eye candy. But just as 2010’s DeZir show pony kick-started a much-needed design revolution, under the guidance of incoming design director Laurens van den Acker, so the Trezor fires the starting gun on phase two.
“We couldn’t have done this car if we hadn’t stabilised the mainstream product line,” van den Acker tells me, in his typically wry, Dutch way, “and the grown-ups would never have allowed it. But thankfully we have, and so… there’s this.”
TopGear.com regards van den Acker as one of the very best design leaders (and managers) in the entire business – he worked wonders at Mazda before relocating to Paris and embarking on a ground-up rebuild on Renault – and the Trezor is a truly spectacular piece of work. A huge, two-seater electric coupe, it features...
Page 6 of 24