1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

Why Are BMW & Mercedes-Benz Getting So Ugly

Discussion in 'The Pit - General Discussion' started by The Hiphopopotamus, Apr 6, 2009.

1. The Hiphopopotamus

The Hiphopopotamus Inactive Account

Why are bmw & mercedes-benz getting so ugly now before they where making really beautful cars can't say that now?

2. Tarek

Tarek Well-Known Member

No,they are not ugly:D

All of that look thing is subjective:usa7uh::t-cheers:

Automotix
  3. LaArtist

LaArtist Banned

well you came to the wrong forum

but to answer your question..
    New vs old..
    there are alot of new regulations on safety (namely pedestrian safety) which limits the designers further..

Automotix
  4. GBOY

GBOY Well-Known Member

Which of the Mercedes Models do you find ugly?

5. klier

klier Member

:t-banghea:t-banghea:t-banghea:t-banghea

This can't be serious!

• Like Like x 2
    You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  6. Tarek

Tarek Well-Known Member

^Lol:D

7. The Hiphopopotamus

The Hiphopopotamus Inactive Account

GBOY The Full Current Range of Mercedes-benz But i still love the G Class S Class CL CLass SL Class & SLR CLS Class.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Artist The older cars are better looking to me anyway.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tarek you have the right to like these cars or find them beautiful but i don't.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm not here to fight anyone this is what i think i'm sorry if anyone did get piss off but this is a froum about what people like or don't like about cars bye.

8. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Well-Known Member

You must be a person who doesn't like change.

Automotix
  9. Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Contributing Member

In the flaming that's taking place here, there is actually some truth. I can put my hand on my heart and say that I don't approve of the new direction BMW and Mercedes have taken. The F01 and E-Coupe are two cars I very much disapprove of. Excessive decoration isn't my cup of tea.

• Like Like x 1
    You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  10. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Well-Known Member

So now that you have made your point about Mercedes and BMW...

What about Audi?:D

Or are they just getting better looking:cool:

11. Centurion

My only problem with Audi is the repetitive design cues and lack of innovation in the design department. The S5 is one of the most beautiful designs money can buy but I'm on standby in wait for the A8 which I hope won't go down the same route as Porsche, BMW and MErcedes.

Automotix
  12. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

To me Audi still has the best looking lineup as a whole, not a truly "ugly" car in the bunch. BMW has the 1-Series and Mercedes has the R-Class (at least in the U.S) that aren't to everyone's liking. Other than those (and they are arguable) I don't see any truly ugly cars in BMW or Mercedes' lineups. I wouldn't buy an A3 either, but it has more to do with an American hatchback prejudice than its styling.

M

13. NarutoRamen

NarutoRamen Well-Known Member

LOL, I thought I was on Lexus forums for a second. :D

Anyways, I don't think overall BMW and MB are making ugly cars. Sure, there is a little hiccup here or there, but they are still well designed cars.

Automotix
  14. coolraoul

coolraoul Well-Known Member

To call them ugly is very inappropriate.

One can find they are getting over-designed, one can find the proportions are getting less important than the amount of character lines, one can find than German "cleanliness" is getting lost in favour of trendy design.

But ugly, well, no, really not.

Increasing regulations (pedestrian safety in particular, but also the giant mirrors) are limiting the designer's freedom (especially at the front).

Increasing ecology pressure is putting aerodynamics even more upfront, here too giving designers less freedom.

Increasing R&D cost can come at the expense of the design department, too. And it's easier to add a line here and there to hide some weight than to create perfect proportions.

Time pressure to develop a car in less time than before means there is less time to draw a car till perfection while talking to the engineers to be sure everything's exactly as it should.

Modern machinery allows more complex shapes to be made in the metal, more freedom to the designers in modelling the basic shape the engineers have let to them. So some are doing too much, whereas 20 years ago you had to focus on proportions (the substance of the car) because you had no other way to design a car.

The market has become even more superficial than before, and the carmakers want to be seen as trendy so have to jump in the new waves...or try to create these waves. Our current culture is much more about appearance than about substance. Therefore the design of the cars are becoming superficial.

All these are generalisations, and only my thoughts.

As a MB fan, I miss the cleanliness of W126, 124 and co. I hated the roundish shapes and weird headlights of the W210 E-Class, 203 C-Class, 220 S-Class and co however.

I love the W204 C-Class, but both 221 S-Class and 212 E-Class are less convincing in my eyes. And I don't like the W207 E-Coupe or X204 GLK.

Concerning BMW... The new, F01 7-Series (that I still haven't seen IRL) is beautiful. The new Z4 is heavy and doesn't inspire me though.
    Bangle 0.1 was not at all my cup of tea.

As far as Audi's concerned, the only beautiful ones are the A8 (the new one could very well change that) and the beautiful A5. The others are quite boring.

However, there are few modern german cars than can be called ugly imo. Maybe the X3, or the front of the R-Class, but that's all.

• Like Like x 6
  15. cawimmer430

cawimmer430 Well-Known Member

16. ree

ree Well-Known Member

Automotix
  17. dr Dunkel

dr Dunkel Global Moderator Staff Member

Automotix
  18. dr Dunkel

dr Dunkel Global Moderator Staff Member

Why are BMW and Mercedes-Benz getting so beautiful now? They used to make really ugly cars before, can't say that now.

Ah, the wonderful world of statements without a trace of relevance or nuances.

Automotix
  19. Centurion

The V-Class is an excellent MPV, much better than the 5-Series GT, and I see do see it everyday. Most common usage is as VIP car for celebs.

20. ree

ree Well-Known Member

I see a maximum of two or three in a year on german roads…even less Vaneo models…so!!

I'm glad that BMW and Mercedes build such beautiful cars today. But looking back, they never really build ugly cars! :usa7uh:

Automotix