1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured SPIED! Toyota Supra

Discussion in 'The Toyota Lounge' started by rs271, Sep 7, 2016.

1. rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Top Poster Of Month

Toyota Supra makes long-awaited spy photo debut
    Looks smaller than BMW's future Z5 roadster.

image. image. image.

The waiting is over – we have the first batch of spy photos of the upcoming new Toyota Supra. The flagship sports car for the Japanese company is expected to arrive on the market in 2018 with a possible debut next year.

So far we’ve been dealing mostly with rumors about the new Supra, but finally there’s a prototype on the road performing preliminary tests. The photographed vehicle wears plenty of camouflage, so it’s a bit difficult to figure out more of the design details, but at least we can take a look at the overall shape of the coupe.

Comparing it with BMW’s side of the jointly-developed project, the Z5 roadster, Toyota’s car is a slightly smaller coupe vehicle with shorter overhangs and more sharply sloped roofline. We also noticed a small fixed rear wing at the back, and a dual exhaust system, similar to the one on the GT86.

58fcf13d861d836c3cd6e33cfce51b5e.

Judging by the camouflaged shapes at the front, the production Supra could borrow the FT1 concept’s strong center nose, flanked by large air intakes. The long bonnet could be hiding a turbocharged BMW-sourced six-cylinder petrol engine, some speculations suggest. However, some reports also say the Japanese engineers could install a hybrid system, as a new hybrid turbo engine is currently under development at the company.

Probably the most interesting but dubious possible option comes from a report from 2014. Then, Japan’s Holiday Auto magazine reported Toyota could use a 2.0-liter four-cylinder turbo engine from BMW, supported by two electric motors in the front and one in the rear for a combined output of 354 horsepower (260 kilowatts).

8507821f46fa68de201a656e0be446c4.

Back to the photographed prototype, likely only a test mule, it clearly uses a BMW-adopted interior, featuring many familiar elements, like the steering wheel, the instrument cluster, the infotainment system controller, and even the center console – all seen in production models from the Bavarian brand.

That’s literally everything we know about the new Supra so far. Hopefully, more details will become available closer to the vehicle’s official debut sometime next year.

Source: motor1

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Oh well, it won't look anything like this:

b7c544280e67ed55ef32f009fb2df108.

M

• rs271

Top Poster Of Month

• chonkoa

chonkoa Well-Known Member

• hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

I see alot of the FT1 in the prototype, especially the entire car aft of the front wheel, albeit toned down for production. The nose is still rather well covered-up to tell what they are going to do, but I doubt we'd get the front from the FT1 because while it looks striking on a concept car, it'll have limited appeal to the buying public. It took them long enough to get prototype out and about in public but my interest is definitely piqued.

• tristatez28lt1

tristatez28lt1 Well-Known Member

Too early to say. If they mess this up I will be disappointed in the whole Toyota operation.

• Merc1

It might be early but it isn't looking good. You're right though and I'm willing to wait on this car. It hold so much promise.

M

• Pedro Alexandre

Pedro Alexandre Active Member

• Porsche Guy

Porsche Guy Well-Known Member

How do we know this isn't the BMW Z5 or whatever is supposed to be sharing that platform? That car is kept in a BMW building.

• rs271

Top Poster Of Month

It's a little bit curious for me because as per the car registration it's a BMW. But the type designation is untypical for a BMW. It reads "J29" and not "Gxx".

• Informative Informative x 1
      • rs271

Top Poster Of Month

• Like Like x 2
        • Winner Winner x 1
        • Monster

Monster Global Moderator Staff Member

Give it some time I think, they managed a pretty good job with the Lexus LC

• Agree Agree x 2
          • klier

klier Member

100% the Supra

BMW is taking care of it, and learns it some tricks.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Carmaker1

Carmaker1 Member

Exactly (well maybe not on the inside;)), as how anyone try to assert that BMW would ditch the twin kidney grilles on any new offering. Forgive me I am being forgetful, but it would nearly impossible for engineers to design camouflage/disguise patterns that would 100% a final grille trade shape. Maybe for that works for other brands, but not Toyota.

Outside of here, so many people are just painfully clueless, if not just plain obtuse and stubbornly insist this is a BMW Z5 prototype. It's a Toyota, that looks like an engineered version of the FT-1, which had NO engineering input during its 2012-13 development

If that's true, then I've got some nice oceanfront property to sell in Geneva. This has to be coming to Tokyo next October/November and launching in the first half of 2018. I recall hearing that styling approval was in the fall of 2014 and design freeze in the first half of 2015. A bit shocked it would take that long in this day and age, but then again look at the G11 and G30, as well as the 2018 LS and LC500.

• Like Like x 2
              • Carmaker1

Carmaker1 Member

(Forgive me for not multi-quoting)

Why would it look 100% like that? The FT-1 had no engineering input and was based on the RC. The targeted price-point required some streamlining to keep it cost-effective. If this was being sold for over $100,000 USD, I'm sure it would allow for them to keep it closer to the concept.

The Lexus LC500 looks the way it does, as Toyoda and his board likely robbed the CALTY designers that envisioned it as the LF-LC and handed the production model to their Japanese HQ design team, so that the designers could be next door to their best engineers, with no communication barriers.

• Like Like x 1
                • Informative Informative x 1
                • Merc1

I get all that, but then they should quit wasting time and getting everyone all worked up over a car that they know they can't or won't build. That said, we'll see what the finished product looks like.

M

• rs271

Top Poster Of Month

• Like Like x 1
                  • Pedro Alexandre

Pedro Alexandre Active Member

• Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Premium Member Contributing Member

Le Mans tech? What could that be? To be light and affordable it will unlikely be a hybrid.

• Beemer B773ER

Beemer B773ER Well-Known Member

I think it means it'll breakdown agonizingly close to wherever you need to go...

• Funny Funny x 6