1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

Toyota already has a V12 Luxury car

Discussion in 'The Toyota Lounge' started by Kowalski, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Kowalski

Kowalski Well-Known Member

Sorry if this is a repost.

Here it is in all its squareness... the Toyota Century.

[Broken External Image]:http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/7119/century19cg.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/4912/century53wy.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img428.imageshack.us/img428/694/century62ku.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/5232/century49ka.jpg
    [Broken External Image]:http://img481.imageshack.us/img481/3820/century35gq.jpg
    d01a2aad135ff5985a33f5b16b5742dc.

-5.27 Metres long
    -3.02 Metres of wheelbase
    -1.47 Metres high
    -1.89 Metres wide
    -It weighs 1990 Kilograms

Powered by Toyota's 1GZ-FE V12 Engine: 5.0 V12 48 Valve, 280 Bhp (208 Kw) @ 5200 Rpm and 355 ft-Ib (481 Nm) of torque @ 4000 Rpm.

It's got a 6-Speed Automatic gearbox and it costs U$$94.500 as currently. Which is about [FONT=&quot]€[/FONT]69.700 or £47.355.

2. PanterroR

PanterroR Well-Known Member

Re: Toyota already has a V12 Luxury car.

Interior looks like my grandma's living room...:D

:t-cheers:

3. ADGvast

ADGvast Active Member

It is already in the market for sometime, but it is limited to local Japanese (with few to Asian countries) only and is for the royalty, government leaders, and executive businessmen. Can say it is the RR in Japan. The Century is produced in limited numbers and is built in a "nearly hand-made" fashion. But the style.... maybe their customers are usually over 60, so, it remains the 50-60s Japanese style. :t-hands:

4. MikeJ

MikeJ Global Moderator Staff Member

Call me crazy, but this is one of the few Japanese cars that I like. OK, the interior style is a bit peculiar but I think it's got a special charm, which cannot be said for most Japanese cars.

5. PanterroR

To me it rather looks like a typical American car, not any sort of Japanese...:t-hands:

6. Kowalski

Don't mind if I pop down to your Grandma's place for a nice chat and a cup of coffee then, eh? ;)

7. PanterroR

No problems, but if those seats in toyota feature massage as well, you'll get it too...From my grandma! :D

8. cawimmer430

cawimmer430 Well-Known Member

The interior looks pretty plasticky and the wood looks fake. I mean there is really no attempt to make it looks "premium". I doubt buyers care though. As long as it looks good they're happy.

9. bmer

bmer Well-Known Member

Are you sure about that 4-spd auto? I think it has a 6-speed one.

10. Kowalski

Now it's got a 6-Speed.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ateekt

ateekt Well-Known Member

A JDM formula, to shame Crown-Victoria with a price-tag of Lexus :D...! But it was never sold in American Market :t-hands:...!

12. cawimmer430

cawimmer430 Well-Known Member

I always thought it looks pretty cool and retro on the outside (reminds me of the 1960s/1970s Century), but the interior has always bothered me. I think luxury/premium cars should have interiors that look nice from a design perspective and material of course. In the case of the Century, neither the design or materials look good (or maybe it's just the color in the photo). I guess I have to see it in real life though. (y)

Love the exterior, especially those mirrors on the hood. :cool:

13. Osnabrueck

Osnabrueck Well-Known Member

Oh oh oh! But here's the crazy thing. The Japanese actually consider the velour upholstery in the Century more luxurious than leather! This is opulence through the prism of Japanese cultural bias.

What's so intriguing about the Century is that it's Japanese VIP Luxury done strictly for a conservative, traditionalist Japanese audience. In many ways it's as honest a product you could ever get fom Toyota, because this thing is being built strictly for a sliver of Asia's elite.

Anyways, the 2nd generation Century we're looking at here has been around since 1997 - which would explain a few things about the interior bits looking a bit... dated. More information here:

Toyota Century - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Get this: "The Century remains the first and only Japanese front-engine, rear-wheel drive production car equipped with a V12." - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 4
  14. PanterroR

Damn if i knew that...:t-hands:

Thanks, Osna.

15. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

No need for me to tell you all how awful and outdated I think this lump is.

M

16. rev

rev Well-Known Member

It's nice, for a Toyota!:D

17. Ubermensch

Ubermensch Active Member

true, the car reminds me of a caprice classic from the mid 80's

18. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Or a Toyota Cressida from the same era.

M