1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

Rumor: BMW to offer 4 Series four-door coupe

Discussion in 'New BMW Models / Vehicles' started by PanterroR, Mar 24, 2011.

1. PanterroR

PanterroR Well-Known Member

bee23d5671015a8211e3dff1c831336e.

Rumor of the year comes from German magazine Auto Motor Und Sport which reports on BMW’s plans to introduce a new 4 Series line-up. Beside the sedan, coupe and convertible variants, the magazine says a four-dour coupe type of vehicle will be introduced as well.

The 4er is said to compete with the A5 Sportback and it will feature a coupe-like roof line.

Last year, we reported several times on BMW’s plans to launch a 3Series Gran Turismo variant and according to our sources, the vehicles is still on schedule to launch in 2013. It is unclear at the moment if the two rumored vehicle are in fact one and only.

So what would be the reasons for BMW to introduce a new 4 Series? Similar to the 6 Series offerings, the 4er models will fit between the 3 and 5 Series and will feature a coupe-like look. By offering a higher positioned coupe, BMW will compete on the market with Audi and Mercedes, which is said to introduce a smaller SLS model.

The new 4 Series will also allow BMW to price the vehicle slightly higher, at a premium price.

The overall dynamic design would appeal to a younger demographic as well and will be a viable alternative to the high-end 6 Series Coupe.

If indeed BMW has any plans to introduce this new series, we believe the Gran Coupe name might be attached to it. In 2012, BMW will also launch a four-door coupe variant of the new 6 Series. The 6er Gran Coupe will compete with the Mercedes CLS and Audi A7.

BMW has recently also filed for U.S. trademarks for 2 Series model designation. Rummormill churns out that the the 2 Series badge would actually be given to the next-generation of 1 Series Coupe and Convertible models.

No other details are available at the moment and this is the first time we have heard of a 4 Series plan, so take these rumors with a big grain of salt.

Source: Rumor: BMW to offer 4 Series four-door coupe

:confused:

:t-cheers:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Jimmy

Jimmy Active Member

Cvm grano salis BIG TIME, I reckon.

SCOTT27, care to elaborate ?

3. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

It is an idea of bringing out a Gran Coupe of the next 3er coupe which is a very beautiful looking car , very ornate like the 6er.

But we have not made the defining decision. More later...

• Like Like x 12
  4. fortuner

fortuner Well-Known Member

Wow that mini SLS...make it MB make it..its hot...

And teh C class van why huh we have the B class.

5. Beemer B773ER

Beemer B773ER Well-Known Member

Should just put this under the 3 series range. The '3 series' is almost a brand in itself, and as such has instant identity and cache. But then again, throw in a 3er GT and then this 3er 4-door-coupe and it could get too crowded.
    To me, '4 series' sounds like a 3 series with a little extra....which is exactly what a 4-door-coupe based on a 3er would be. So it could well work just as the 5er/6er seperation works.

And hey... establish the 4er range, and in the next generation you can bring out an X4, X4 Coupe, and a 4er GT.

6. Cabasse0

Cabasse0 Active Member

It will be a nice ideat to launch a 4 serie 4 door coupé ...
    I own a E90 then an E92 and after an E93 and now a E89 Z4 ....
    i like to explore new segment launch it (y)

7. HighestOfHigh

HighestOfHigh Global Moderator Staff Member Contributing Member

Okay...

1. The BMW i3 looks adorable on that magazine cover!
    2. C-class van...Doesn't the B-class already serve that purpose.
    3. A 4-series would be great, but I hope it wouldn't just be a sleeker version of the next generation 3 series.
    4. Mini SLS is not needed unless it sits under the SLK...but the SLK is small enough.

8. bmwownage

bmwownage Active Member

So the 4 series has a full sedan/coupe/convertible etc line up like the 3series? like 2cm longer than a 3series and 3cm shorter than a 5series? i don't see a point. would make sense if the 4series is like the 6series, just coupe/convertible and 4door coupe.
    But then, bye bye the famous M3 coupe, no more 2door 3 series??

9. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

By all means there is no definite answer to how it can progress , all you see is actually the aspects of discussions and it is something I did mention here previously in regards to a 3er Gran Coupe.

The name is not fully compliant yet, in regards to the 6er Gran Coupe that remains a 6er and we still have not decided on the 1er/2er yet.

The idea is that a car can be born on an existing platform like introducing a Gran Coupe of the 6er, a car that actually happened by chance when the designer added extra doors to his sketch of a Coupe.

There was a sense of potential and more importantly a cost-effective opportunity to enter the mid-line Coupe Sedan segment or the CLS Segment as it is known as. Well the 3er Coupe is on a similar stage to which again nothing is final because they have ,again designed a very beautiful car, again from the ideas of the E92 it stands out from the sedan and gives it a very unique identity, just what you would expect from the designer who has penned it.

If you look at the Vision Connected Drive from the rear of the car and the side, especially at that line that runs diagonally across the body from the rear deck that is something you will see with the new car. So once again they have added "extra doors" and they are looking at it.

But it gets interesting for the 1er Gran Coupe which again is moving through the design stages with no confirmation for production.
    That has been designed as a stand alone concept sharing no visual appearance with either the 1er Sporthatch or Coupe.

It's all made possible by BMW investing in modular structures that will allow several model to spun off one platform which can use the modular function to shorten , lengthen and widen for a range of models.
    To break down the platform philosophy it is like Mecanno or Lego. You start with base and build and add , add and subtract.

Another point is that having the car based off the 3er matrix it is again positioned within the Premium Entry class.
    Which is one of the main segments that will see more growth within this decade. Having an entire range of models is not only the wish of BMW but everyone has realigned their focus to include an expansion of models for the important segments.

Market demands for more downsized luxury cars are going to continue , BMW have realised this and now Mercedes-Benz and Audi are moving to develop expansive models from the A/C-Klasse and the A3/A4 respectively.
    Within the UKL, Premium Compact and Premium Entry Class you will see a full range of automobiles covering every segment from several premium manufacturers.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago 3er Coupe E92 was suppose to be named 4-series. Remember?

11. Levi68

Levi68 Banned

I like the 6 Series GranCoupé more than any other BMW out there now, but a 4 Series would be even more lovely, as beign more compact. What about an M4 GranCoupé ? That would be awsome.

12. allenwalker

allenwalker Banned

Hell no it didn't.

The designers have been getting specific orders to make a 4-door since the CLS came out in 2004.

"By chance" ?? LMAO :D

• Like Like x 2
  13. Jimmy

Jimmy Active Member

Well... actually shortly after it had become quite apparent that the CLS was a smash hit ;). The CLS Concept was shown to the public in the fall of 2003. BMWs' CS Concept was first introduced in the spring of 2007. I assume that BMW wanted to "wait and see" how M-Bs' 4 door coupe effort panned-out.

14. Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Contributing Member

An introduction of the 4-Series nameplate is now more current than ever before. BMW are surely keeping a close eye on the the storming achievement by Audi in going from offering an anonymous A4 Cabrio to selling thousands of A5 Coupes and Sportbacks. Owning a 3-Series or A4 isn't special and Audi creating an A4 Coupe with a swooping character line, distinctive LED headlights and giving it a unique name has truly charmed consumers. The car does give off a more premium appearance than the A4 Sedan and Avant.

Although the 6er GrandSport will be a vital image enhancer for BMW which currently lacks an upper echelon lead car, the biggest earning potential is on the entry-level basis. The 3er is probably the most successful car in the premium sector and a four door variant would significantly add to that success.

15. SKY

SKY Well-Known Member

The only problem I see in naming the 3er Coupe 4 Series is the M version. The M3 nameplate is an icon and I ain´t know how the market will react to an M4.

16. Levi68

Levi68 Banned

BMW said they will no more build M3 Sedan and Touring, one that they never ever, and with that I want the M3 badge to die toghether with the last naturally aspirated engine. Let the next turboed M3 Coupé, Convertible and GranCoupé just be called M4, sound much more special and exclusive.

17. dalab

dalab Active Member

It's pretty clear what happens here, the 4 series is the 5 series coupe and cabrio that Scott mentioned in months ago treath to compete with the Mercedes E-convertible and coupe.

Additional the 4 series will have a grand coupe to compete with the new Panamera junior and Maserati entry level (and all comers)

Therefore considered that the 6 series also grew in size, to make room for the new models

Basically
    3 series - coupe - cabrio - sedan and GT (five doors)
    4 series - coupe - cabrio - and grand coupe (four doors)

18. mini_cooper4

mini_cooper4 Well-Known Member

When I first saw the 1st gen CLS I felt in love with the 4 door coupe idea.
    My favorite car is the 3 series and if there is a 3GC I would pay a fortune to own it.
    And if you call it 4 series which is my favorite number and It's my racing number...
    1 series Sedan and 4 series GC in my garage forever!
    1 of my dreams have been already built - Mclaren F1
    2 more left :)

Please BMW :eusa_pray

• Like Like x 2
  19. Levi68

Levi68 Banned

For me it would be M4 GranCoupé and MP4-12C. :D

20. SKY

SKY Well-Known Member