1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

M5 (F10) vs. the Competition

Discussion in 'Internal Combustion' started by GTA8.5, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GTA8.5

GTA8.5 Well-Known Member

^
    lOl, very funny!

I just wonder if the CLS63 will be slightly faster than the new M5. I just skimmed a "slightly down hill report" in this thread that says the M5 ripped to 100mph in 8.7 seconds.
    The CLS63 PP according the Road&Track hit 100mph in 8.3seconds.

(The E63 fitted with the M157 is lighter than both these cars.)

2. Deckhook

Deckhook Banned

Either Merc might be quicker but in both cases it will only be in a straightline which if past history is anything to go by it's the typical Merc vs BMW battle once more but beyond the straight and narrow the M5 will leave these two for dead. You know it and so does everyone else.

• Like Like x 2
  3. klier

klier Member

Oh boy, GTA theories.....

And when and where did BMW fanboys dislike the 'pops and farts'? I personally love those sounds, and the way you put people in one group called the BMW fans is laughable silly.

And I simply CANNOT wait to read tests between E/CLS 63 and M5!!!

4. GTA8.5

GTA8.5 Well-Known Member

That statement is a by gone era an is a constant repeat of most BMW M fans.

I guess you havn`t read all the latest news about the driving dynamics of the CLS63, it shines very brightly.

So brightly in fact it beat the Porsche Panamera Turbo S in the handling department. AMG has progressed greatly in that area. I havn`t read enough reports about the M157 E63 to make an assessment yet
    but I`ll bet the 2012 CLS63 will give the M5 a hard time.

5. Deckhook

Deckhook Banned

What I'm dieing to see from those tests is just how close the M5 gets to beating the E63 at the typical Merc trump card which is refinement and comfort. If it actually beats it at this then BMW will have worked it's magic in an area where Merc ruled supreme.

6. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member GCF Guru

haha, this so reminds me of the "C63 will be M3 killer" trolling that happened in the first drive thread for E92 M3. I guess that egg tasted so good, the usual suspects are back for more...

• Like Like x 4
  7. Deckhook

Deckhook Banned

You are quite right I haven't been following the reviews of the CLS AMG63 and if it beat the Porsche in handling then that a mighty scalp to take, though is this outcome a one off or something more common because if it's the former then using it as an example doesn't have the same weight behind it. Also there's no guarantee that the M5 won't also beat the Panamera at this.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GTA8.5

GTA8.5 Well-Known Member

lOl, no one is coming to conclusions just yet... and lets not forget the M3 doesn`t exactly slaughter than C63 on the track.
    in a recent test the C63 was just 0.3 seconds behind the M3 which is hardly anything to brag about.

Some of these reports are saying the new M5 is less raw, more luxurious than any other M5 which is going to appeal to the "typical speedster" so to speak.
    lOl, it might be a little softer around the edges than the E63. (It sure does weight a hell of a lot more!!)

9. GTA8.5

GTA8.5 Well-Known Member

It`s the only test I know of right now.. it`s just a good example of how AMG has increased in driving dynamics was my point...
    and we can expect more in the near future!

10. Sunny

And here is another one where it is more than 2.5 secs off... http://www.germancarforum.com/internal-combustion/39613-evo-group-test-c63-vs-m3-vs-b302-vs-rs5-whos-boss.html... but yes, let us conveniently forget that.

But the bigger question is how badly must your butt be hurting to troll a "first drive" with something as tenuous as as a unscientific 0-100 time by evo vs time by some acceleration crazed American mag? I mean, yes, I understand it is probably hurting badly from AMG loosing majority of comparisons for decades, but really can't you really wait till the "M5 killer" AMGs actually win a comparison?

11. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Don't care which one does what, I want the M5. For me, the looks of the E rule it out. CLS63 is still up in the air. Any one of these car's abilities far exceed the driving abilities of just about anyone here. Any one of them will get you thrown in jail in a few eyeblinks.

M

12. Deckhook

Deckhook Banned

It does look good, how more so than the E60 or even the E90 M3 for that matter though I also think the CLS looks good, especially so in it's AMG trim. If only I had the money sitting and needed to pick just one, what a lovely dilemma that would be.:D

13. GTA8.5

GTA8.5 Well-Known Member

Your always going to have variables between tests. As an avid reader you should know that by now..
    In the metal no two of these cars are going to perform alike. You might buy an M3 thats a little slower than another guys` M3
    You just never know...

Oh crap man what an exaggeration.. big lOl!
    Whats wrong with comparing where the tail ends don`t fit. It`s called abstract ideas (thinking in the gray so to speak to formulate an abstract opinion.) I already pointed out I wasn`t drawing conclusions.

The AMGs just might really win in a few more comparisons this time around.

14. Sunny

No shit, what gets to me is some people's desperation to troll this thread. By almost all accounts these initial reviews have been stellar (something that doesn't happen for a new M that often) but yet he ignores all the praise the car is been getting and find a ridiculous comparison to troll this thread with. CLS63/E63 might very well prove to be the faster car, I have no freaking idea, and I am sure we will find out soon enough.

15. K-A

K-A Banned

LOLLLL. This is so accurate it's not even funny! .... But it is so damn funny! :D

Hahaha, I'm in the exact same "I don't care which one does what" boat (except on the opposite end :D). Who gives a sh** about this couch-statistic stuff. Both of these things will be monsters of speed so volatile people should be required to have a special license for them. Hell, to me 250 HP VS 300 HP means nil when I'm selecting and choosing the "better car". Anybody who selects an M5 or E63 due to who is .2whatever seconds faster to 60/100/1million is nuts. If you are an avid tracker, who races your car for sport, on ACTUAL RACE TRACKS and not on public roads like a dunce, then I can understand your arguments much more.

BTW, I just read a review by a driver who drove the full new AMG line to their limits at an AMG Driving Event. He said that the E63 is noticeably considerably sharper and pulls harder/faster than the CLS63 - who's weight you can feel more-so. So it appears that it'll come down to the classic "E VS 5 battle" for the statistic junkies.

16. Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

Haha, Sunny is on a roll.

I love how every time there is a new M3/M5 out, it brings out the fanboy's in us (which is cool every now and again). Cant wait for the E63/M5 shootouts! oh and for the sake of footie, lets not leave out the forthcoming RS6 :D

17. chonkoa

chonkoa Well-Known Member

Where is Footie?

18. deity

deity Active Member

If one were actually sensible, one would buy a GT-R, which i'm PRETTY sure can run circles around both the E and the M5.

Or a ZR1, you know what I mean ;)

19. Kowalski

Kowalski Well-Known Member

He's gone.

20. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

All that said I still don't think the M5 will hold anything to the Panamera Turbo or Turbo S. I personally have to have the looks + the drive and the Porsche just doesn't do the former too well. Stunning car from behind the wheel though. The M5 is #1 on my list.

M