1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCA is working on all new sports car platform

Discussion in 'The Maserati Lounge' started by anti-German, Apr 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. anti-German

anti-German Member

Yes, that true. Future Alfa Coupe and Spider, Maserati Alfieri and Dodge Viper successor will be on it.

Competitors?
    It's no secret that Alfieri will be a 2+2 model. Also it's no secret that 911 is model they are aiming at.
    For Alfa models Porsche 718 should be competitor and maybe even some versions of BMW Z5.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

Hopefully this isn't at the expense of a 5er rival from Alfa

• anti-German

anti-German Member

This models are in plans from the start. OK, maybe not a Dodge. There were never Giulia Coupe and Spider. That's made up by British and German media. They had no clue about Giulia before it was revealed and it's hard to expect they will be more accurate in the future.

They are all switching to Giorgio in the future for car and SUV models. More Alfa models, next generation Maserati models, Dodge models, some Jeep models like next gen Grand Cherokee.

In the meanwhile next GranTurismo should be out next year from one of the two Maserati factories in Turin. It will be related to Ghibli/QP/Levante but this time it will have proper four seats and not 2+2. Already for the Lavante Maserati engineers made a lot body in white weight savings compared to Ghibli/QP. IMO, they will go even further with GT.
      Marchionne confirmed new model for Maserati from Turin in 2018. It's not that hard to guess which one it is.

Also FCA is working on GME T6 engine. If GME T4 is Inline 4 inside of Giullia and future engine called Hurricane for American part of FCA IMO than it's not hard to guess what will be GME T6. If you dig enough you could find an info about it. I presume it could debut on next generation of North American RWD models for MY2021.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • tristatez28lt1

tristatez28lt1 Well-Known Member

Interesting info but I doubt that the Quattroporte/Ghibli platform will be used further

• mini_cooper4

mini_cooper4 Well-Known Member

Great news !
        Let's pray we'll get to see them by the end of the century.

• Funny Funny x 2
        • Fido

Fido Well-Known Member Spy Photographer

You can be quiet. All models from Alfa Romeo and Maserati will use the GIORGIO platform.

Two sport cars will exist in Alfa's range. Spider and Coupe are planned, but not with the Giulia name...

• tristatez28lt1

Exactly lol.
          Are you a native English speaker?

• Fido

I know my english is bad but you have understood perfectly ;)

• tristatez28lt1

I wouldn't have asked if I knew the answer.
          Are you saying that these FCA sports cars will also use the Giorgio platform?

• Fido

Yes, FCA estimates that they will have problems to amortize the GIORGIO's platform. There are mags that say that FCA could "sell" the platform to recover the investment, since FCA spent more than 30 million euros in its development. But no car producers sell its platform, this is false.

And FCA has decided to use in all FCA sport cars, including the next generation from Ghibli, at least. Some people don't know that this GIORGIO platform isn't only RWD / AWD platform. Was prepared for hybrids cars too.

• tristatez28lt1

@Fido nice. Do you have any more info on that and the financials?
          30€ million doesn't seem so much for a platform.

• anti-German

anti-German Member

LOL

FCA financials are public and a lot can be found on their web-site. Let's wait for Q1 2017 financial results and conference call. It should be on 26th of April.

Sergio said that Alfa already spent more than 2 billions of euros of planned 5 billions for their revival. It's normal because at the beginning spending is the biggest because of all new engines, platform, factory. With each new model and especially if it goes to existing factory costs are smaller.

I would not agree with @Fido that Ghibli or similar products are sports cars. They are not. But Sergio said, and you all can find transcripts on Seeking Alpha, that next Grand Cherokee, and next generation of Dodge and Maserati products will also use Giorgio.

• Fido

Maybe, you won't agree with Sergio Marchionne, not with me, because I've explain to @tristatez28lt1 the same that Marchionne said anytime ago and you have written. When Marchionne said that "that next Grand Cherokee, and next generation of Dodge and Maserati products will also use Giorgio", I understand that Maserati's range will use this platform.

Don't see so much, but you know that Alfa Romeo has only four models in its range (Mito, Giulia, Giulietta and Stelvio). From these foir cars, we delete the Mito, and build one completely new platform for three models is much money. Alfa Romeo is not BMW, Mercedes or Audi; MLB Evo is used by Audi and Porsche and the investment can be recovered in some years because they use for many models. In Alfa Romeo no!

By this reason, they have decided that Maserati will use this platform.

@anti-German has said anything important "Alfa has already spent more than 2 billions of euros of planned 5 billions for their revival. It's normal because at the beginning spending is the biggest because of all new engines, platform, factory. With each new model and especially if it goes to existing factory costs are smaller."

This is obvious, but this important investment can not be given as lost during many ear. They need to do money very quickly. If not, Alfa could drop and this is the last chance...

• anti-German

anti-German Member

Let's take a look at something.

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' (FCAU) CEO Sergio Marchionne on Q4 2016 Results - Earnings Call Transcript | Seeking Alpha

Martino De Ambroggi

My second question on the Alfa Romeo, if you could provide us an update on if contribution or what portion of the CapEx were spent so far and how the new distribution network -- global distribution network is progressing? Thank you.

Sergio Marchionne

Let me answer the easy question and then the other, first question, I do not know the answer to, but Richard must have some idea. I would assume that the number is in excess of €2.5 billion that was spent on the relaunch of Alfa and I think he's levitating me up so it must be €2.5 billion because of the two cars that were launched.

In terms of contribution, in 2016 it was negative; it's expected to be negative in 2017. We're still going through the ramp-up phase. As I mentioned, the investment in Alfa Romeo and certainly the technical investment in the architecture, was something that was designed to benefit more than Alfa. And then by itself it is effectively and I repeat this again for the record, it is designed to provide the tactical underpinnings for the whole Maserati development going forward, certainly beyond 2018. For the large UV vehicles that are going to be made available to Jeep and for the rear-wheel-drive cars that will eventually replace the current fleet of Dodge vehicles that are being sold in NAFTA. So it was a wide-ranging exercise which is -- as all these things work, it's going to take time to implement and execute through a variety of brands and applications.

The development of the network is going well. We have made good progress in the United States. We're beginning to make significant progress now in Asia-Pacific. The European network is pretty well being cleaned up. I think the pairing of Alfa and Jeep has represented premium offerings and that context is beginning to take hold. So distribution is not going to be our problem, I don't think. I think we need to be very careful that we launch products which are consistent with the newly reestablished DNA of the brand and I feel comfortable that both the Giulia and the Stelvio are very good first starts into that venture.

I can tell you that if you and again, I ask you if you approach this and you want to go read car magazines and evaluations of the performance of the Giulia that you will find that it's been set -- the Giulia does set a new standard of performance in that segment of vehicles. I expect that the Stelvio will eventually be recognized from the same level of contribution to the automotive landscape. So I'm happy about what's happened, I'm happy about the way in which the cars are rolling out and I'm happy that we have finally found clarity of thought in the extension of these architectures well beyond Alfa.