1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

OFFICIAL E89 Z4 LCI

Discussion in 'Z4 Roadster/Coupe' started by Giannis, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

P90109178 copy.

New exterior features, detailed interior refinements, a new equipment package and a new entry-level engine variant allow the BMW Z4 to make an even more attractive and innovative case for itself in Detroit. Three new body colours are available exclusively with the Design Pure Traction option, which is also new. Meanwhile, black and orange tones create a particularly absorbing contrast of colours in the interior.

Additional scope for individualisation is provided by new 17-inch and 18-inch light-alloy wheels and the optional M Sport package. And there is also the arrival of a new model variant to report; the BMW Z4 sDrive18i is powered by a 2.0-litre engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology developing 115 kW/156 hp. This new entry point to the Z4 range can also be ordered with an eight-speed automatic gearbox.

The selection of driver assistance systems and BMW ConnectedDrive mobility services available on board the BMW Z4 has also been expanded. If the Professional navigation system is specified, the ConnectedDrive Services option enables use of internet-based information and entertainment services inside the car.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

P90109178 copy. P90109170 copy. P90109171 copy. P90109169 copy. P90109168 copy. P90109177 copy. P90109176 copy. P90109175 copy. P90109174 copy. P90109172 copy. P90109173 copy.

A roadster with character and sporting flair: The new BMW Z4.

The interplay of classical proportions and state-of-the-art technology defines the unmistakable character of the BMW Z4 – and now an updated version of the Roadster is ready for action, armed with new exterior features, detailed interior refinements, the new Design Pure Traction equipment package, the new entry-level sDrive18i model and the latest additions to the range of BMW ConnectedDrive features all provide fresh impetus and lend the BMW Roadster even greater appeal and individuality.

Design: classical proportions infused with modern character.

The success of modern-day BMW Roadsters is rooted in the rigorous execution of a concept, a process which has left its mark on both the design and the driving properties of each car and is clearly recognisable in the new BMW Z4.

The distinctive twin circular headlights team up with the broad BMW kidney grille to form a roadster-specific interpretation of the brand’s signature front-end look. The standard bi-xenon headlights of the new BMW Z4 have an extremely slim design and extend well into the front wheel arches. They feature LED light rings which emit daytime driving light in the brand’s hallmark style. Added to which, the light sources now have a strikingly three-dimensional design which accentuates the intricate technology of the headlights. Cutting across the tops of the headlights are LED accent lights, whose metal insert bears BMW lettering. The integrated turn signal indicators have chrome-coloured surrounds, which lend further emphasis to the sophisticated character of the light units. Plus, a newly designed, tapered surround for the side indicators adds a dynamic sweep to the gills on the front side sections of the car.

The optional BMW Individual hardtop – available in the two contrast colours Black non-metallic and Titanium Silver metallic – provides a feast for the eyes when the roof is closed. The hardtop can be opened at the touch of a button while the car is moving at up to 40 km/h (25 mph) in an automated process lasting 19 seconds.

Striking touches: new paint finishes, Design Pure Traction equipment package, additional light-alloy wheels and the M Sport package.

A total of 11 external paint finishes are available for the new BMW Z4, including the new Mineral Grey metallic, Glacier Silver metallic and Valencia Orange metallic, which can only be ordered together with the Design Pure Traction option. This new equipment package lends the Roadster an extremely lively aura; the interior, for example, boasts an energy-charged contrast of black and orange. The bespoke Alcantara door panel trim, like the lower section of the instrument panel, comes in orange. The black leather seats have contrast stitching in Valencia Orange and an accent stripe running down the central section of the backrests and seat cushions. This stripe is likewise orange and is flanked by two thin white lines. The door panel trim and lower section of the instrument panel can also be specified in black as an option. Another exclusive element of the Design Pure Traction package is the metal weave trim strip, which can be combined with further decorative elements in high-gloss black for the door openers and the gearshift or selector lever. This new equipment package replaces the previously available Design Pure Impulse and is also available in combination with other exterior paint colours as an option.

New interior additions to standard specification include high-gloss black surrounds for the central air vents and the iDrive control system’s folding Control Display, which comes as part of the optional Professional navigation system. Elsewhere, exquisite Fineline Anthracite wood has been added to the selection of interior trim strips available as an option for the new BMW Z4.

New variants have been added to the range of optional light-alloy wheels as well, including newly designed 17-inch and 18-inch wheels in V-spoke design, both of which will be combined with mixed tyres.

The engaging character of the Roadster as a driver’s tool is given particular emphasis by the likewise optional M Sport package, which contributes M Sport suspension, 18-inch M light-alloy wheels and an M aerodynamics package with large air intakes in the front wing and a rear bumper inlay painted Anthracite metallic. Bringing an extra dose of sporting flair into the interior, meanwhile, are features such as sports seats, an M leather steering wheel, M driver’s footrest, M door sill finishers and an anthracite-coloured roof liner.

The Aluminium Carbon trim strip, leather M gear lever knob and grey dials for the instrument cluster lend the finishing touches to the interior ambience. The new BMW Z4 sDrive35is comes as standard with a model-specific version of the M Sport package.

Engines: BMW TwinPower Turbo technology at five output levels.

The BMW Z4 will be available with a larger, five-strong line-up of petrol engines from launch, and customers will be able to choose from three four-cylinder and two six-cylinder powerplants. Their most significant shared feature is BMW TwinPower Turbo technology, which ensures an exceptionally effective balance between driving pleasure and fuel consumption throughout the output range. All variants of the new BMW Z4 already meet – as standard – the stipulations of the EU6 exhaust emissions standard due to come into force in 2014.

The BMW Z4 sDrive18i takes to the stage as the new entry-level model. It is powered by a 2.0-litre engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology which develops maximum output of 115 kW/156 hp at 5,000 rpm. The new variant of the four-cylinder unit delivers peak torque of 240 Newton metres (177 lb-ft) between 1,250 and 4,400 rpm. The BMW Z4 sDrive18i is fitted as standard with a six-speed manual gearbox, but an eight-speed sports automatic can also be ordered as an option. The new model accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in 7.9 seconds (automatic: 8.1 seconds) and hits a top speed of 221 km/h / 137 mph (220 km/h / 136.5 mph). Average fuel consumption for the BMW Z4 sDrive18i in the EU test cycle is 6.8 litres per 100 kilometres (41.5 mpg imp) with both the manual and automatic gearbox. CO2 emissions stand at 159 grams per kilometre.

The BMW TwinPower Turbo technology package for the new BMW Z4 sDrive18i includes twin-scroll turbocharging, High Precision Direct Petrol Injection, VALVETRONIC fully variable valve control and Double-Vanos continuously variable camshaft control.

The existing engine variants – the sDrive20i, sDrive28i, sDrive35i and sDrive35is – retain their places in the range.

Extensive comfort-enhancing equipment.

The new BMW Z4 delivers the driving pleasure customers have come to expect from the brand, fulfilling the desire for both sporting ability and comfort. Drivers can use the standard-fitted Driving Experience Control switch to select a configuration to suit the situation at hand and satisfy personal preferences. COMFORT, SPORT and SPORT+ modes can all be called up using the rocker switch on the centre console. As well as adjusting the responses of the engine and DSC stability system, the different modes also alter the shift characteristics of the automatic gearbox, the responses of the Servotronic function and the mapping of the electronically controlled dampers, if these items are specified. These modes allow the driver to choose from a selection of distinctive and clearly differentiated set-ups for the car.

Other items of equipment fitted as standard are xenon headlights, air conditioning, a heated glass rear window, the Soft Close Automatic function for the boot lid and runflat tyres with a run-flat indicator.

The market launch of the new BMW Z4 is scheduled for March 2013.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
    Automotix
  3. klier

klier Member

Not exactly E-class style huh....

I do like the new side gills :D

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  4. shonguiz

shonguiz Well-Known Member

What did change ?

Automotix
  5. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

I don't see much change either?? I do like that interior.

M

Automotix
  6. Monster

Monster Global Moderator Staff Member

Details inside the headlight cluster, and the indicator on the front wing is now LED with a highly unnecessary chrome trim on the bottom edge of the light.

This is the pre face lift headlight, notice the frozen white eyebrow cuts down from the top corner, and the plastic vanes partially shields the indicator bulb.
    30c14c598fcbbe5ff2a61943b1bddcfd.

Post face lift headlights, frozen white eyebrow replaced by more simple chrome trim, indicator is now covered by another driving light.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    Automotix
  7. SKY

SKY Well-Known Member

WTF?

You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  8. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member GCF Guru

Glad they didn't muck it up, design wise it was close to perfection. What it needed was a mechanical update and I doubt it got any of that.

9. Human

Human You. The Road. Nothing else. Premium Member

Without a doubt;):cool:

Best looking car in it's respective segment - by far. Only challanged for sex appeal by the new Porsche Cayman IMO. And thank goodness BMW did a subtle job overall to the LCI as Sunny said....

Edit: Thank you Giannis(y)

Automotix
  10. picsoubmw

picsoubmw Well-Known Member

So the Z4 keep the N54 and no M35i or M40i variant ? In probably less than 1 year it will probably get the new inline-6 after the launch of the 4-series...

Automotix
  11. klier

klier Member

Guess you're right. The only updates I see are geared towards comfort. That was my 'WTF moment'.

Automotix
  12. -=Hot|Ice=-

-=Hot|Ice=- Well-Known Member

We want a Z4 M, and we want it now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member GCF Guru

Why? when one can instead have yet another GT variant - it is fantastic - it rides 2" higher and has roofline 2" lower than the otherwise completely useful vehicle it is based on and has rear seats that will tickle your empty scrotum...

• Like Like x 5
  14. Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

pre-fl Z4 owners will be pleased.

15. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

No, we want Z4 with fixed roof to cut 100 kg weight off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PanterroR

PanterroR Well-Known Member

... and with M3's engine. :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. klier

klier Member

You know, that would be the base of a Z4 M, most probably.... ;)

18. JLBM

JLBM Active Member

Meh.. Current Z4 in south Africa is nothing special. It's like a German mx5. They go virtually un-noticed, unlike s5's and slk's.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  19. klier

klier Member

^ cool story :rolleyes:

Automotix
  20. JLBM

JLBM Active Member

^ it's not a story if you live here. Beautiful design though..