1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

Bugatti; French or German car?

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Dayi, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Dayi

Dayi Member

Wat do you guys think about? VW owns that car but it is registered in France, some parts are also made in France. But the germans say it is German car because when it was registered "Molsheim" belonged to Germany, the French refuses that claim and say it was founded in a french city Alsace, ect.

here is a interesting discussion going on,
    http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=444273&page=4

Just wat is your toughts about?

Automotix
  2. Kowalski

Kowalski Well-Known Member

I think it's German.

Bugatti is owned by VW and the Veyron was developed by the Germans; therefore it is a German car built in France, though.

You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  3. cawimmer430

cawimmer430 Well-Known Member

French name, German engineering. ;)

4. SDNR

SDNR Well-Known Member

I consider it to be French. Sure, Molsheim was German until it was handed back to France in 1919 (after the Bugatti company was created), but Bugatti was always so French in character -- in fact there really is nothing German about the original Bugattis at all. Also, the great drivers of Bugatti race cars were almost all French. Today, however, Bugatti is decidedly German in character, even if it is made in France.

5. SDNR

SDNR Well-Known Member

Italian name :D ;) sorry to be such a wise guy Chris.

From what I have read about the old Bugattis, they were quite flimsy ....certainly not over-engineered like a Mercedes-Benz.

• Like Like x 2
    Automotix
  6. Kowalski

Kowalski Well-Known Member

Bugatti is by far the most European brand than any other European brand.

-Founded by an Italian
    -Italian name
    -Originally based in France
    -Owned by Germans
    -Only one car, yet developed by Germans
    -German developed car, built in France

How more European can it get?

• Like Like x 2
    You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  7. cawimmer430

I'm always happy for people to correct me when I am wrong. THANKS. :t-cheers:

Automotix
  8. SDNR

SDNR Well-Known Member

You weren't wrong really, I knew what you meant

Automotix
  9. cawimmer430

Still, thanks. :D

I am always confused about Bugatti. Italian guy who lived and worked in France or something. :banana:

10. SDNR

SDNR Well-Known Member

Yes, Ettore Bugatti was Italian but he lived in France.

11. cawimmer430

Italy or France, you can't go wrong. They both have excellent foods and wines. :banana: :D

12. Dayi

Dayi Member

He lived in Molsheim (1904) which was German at that time, then when ww1 finished (germany lost as usual :D) germany "gave" some territory's to France, including Molsheim (then renamed to Alsace) where Bugatti is founded. THen later that sneaky italian guy registered his company under French name "SAS", ect ect

This stuff is really confusing :D