1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

OFFICIAL BMW i3 Coupe Concept

Discussion in 'New BMW Models / Vehicles' started by Merc1, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

2a4c64e445d1b5b83bc95cce637c7ea3.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/27/i3-coupe-concept-continues-to-evolve-bmws-electric-aspirations/

M

• Like Like x 2
    You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  2. Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Contributing Member

I guess my lunch box too can be called a coupe.

• Like Like x 6
    Automotix
  3. martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

BMW i8: drop-dead deliciousness. BMW i-Else: meh.

Also for me, BMW i is for investor (Bahar/Lotus style) attraction as opposed to actual, ready-for-production innovation. It's taking so long to get this product to market!

Automotix
  4. shonguiz

shonguiz Well-Known Member

Don't realy understand the utility of this, it has absolutely no coupe looking, it's just compromising the practicality of the 5d without bringing anything more as i doubt the tiny drop in price will be of any importance to the people willing to spend a little fortune on such costly cars.

5. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

A 3dr i3 is not green-lighted as yet. This concept like the i8 Spyder before it shows how the production car will look once we take it away from its concept roots. And that includes more production ready element such as full but still CFRP skinned door elements and production ready intakes and features.

Reaction to the Coupe will determine production reality. But the i8 Spyder is coming to production, they are building first prototypes now in Munich. The i3 is on schedule as BMW aim to bring a new level of dynasm with cutting edge tech and design to sustainable mobility. Both the i3 and i8 drive like no other electric car, and I have evaluated a lot so far , on my first drive recently in Munich I found the Tesla Model S to be a revelation in electric mobility. For BMWi there is a real emphasis on making the cars extremely communicative to the driver. The i8 in particular.

You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  6. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Engineering-wise, if what BMW is promising ends up on production, then it will be impressive. For everything else, including looks, concept idea, etc, I share Martin's opinion on everything other than the i8, which is "Meh..."

7. Centurion

To regular car buyers the i3 is of higher significance and its the car that BMW can sell in huge volumes. So far electric cars have been super cars and other impractical derivatives. The i3 and Tesla Model S represent the direction that electric cars should take, especially the i3 which is a practical four door hatchback.

Again, why is this car called a coupe???
    8098a0a370f9fee61cda089b6a42d036.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  8. mini_cooper4

mini_cooper4 Well-Known Member

Costing as much as a Model S (I'm sure it will) I'm not sure this car is the right choice even though it's a BMW :)

9. Monster

Monster Global Moderator Staff Member

Because the marketing department thought if they can get away with crap like "Compactive" then they can get away with calling a tall body 3 door hatch back a "coupe'. Message to BMW marketing team, do not insult our intelligence.

10. Centurion

It's really stupid and is not fooling anyone. The CL63 is a coupe, the Miata is a coupe, the 458 italia. The i3 is in the same category as the A-Class - between MPV and hatchback.

11. EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

Because today ANYTHING can be called coupe. ;)

3dr hatch = coupe
    3dr SUV = coupe
    4dr sedan with lowered roof = coupe
    5dr crossover = coupe
    3dr minivan = coupe
    etc

So, today a coupe is any 4dr or 5dr vehicle with a bit more sloping (& lower) roof than a regular model.
    Or any vehicle with fixed roof & 2dr / 3dr layout.

Btw, this is an i3 Concept showcasing production-styled exterior details & production-styled interior LAYOUT & some details. Sure it's not production-ready functional cabin yet, but you get a good idea how the final product will look like. I'm not aware of i3 Coupe being greenlighted as of yet. It's just a design concept - a pre-preview.

Regarding the price ... mind usually the speculated prices are MSRP prices, without EV tax-credits included! But due to being premium product the i3 will be priced a bit higher than eg. Volt, Leaf etc.

12. Sunny

Sunny Well-Known Member GCF Guru

You missed the Leaf, I see quite a lot of them around.

• Like Like x 1
    Automotix