1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

SPIED! BMW F34 3er GT: Spy Pics - Renders - Info

Discussion in '3 Series' started by south, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-A

K-A Banned

The relationship between the rear window little "pillar" thing and the greenhouse shutline right next to it is very unsexy.

2. Human

Human You. The Road. Nothing else. Premium Member

Always been a fan of the 5GT, this however looks even better!(y)

3. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

What is interesting is that it employs a secondary look from the existing F30 to provide its own identity but still retain that bloodline of the 3er family. In fact the front is very similar to this render.
    car_photo_438508.
    The 3er GT will be launched at the end of 2012 , but a closer look will appear with the 3er Gran Turismo Concept Car in Paris next month.
    The model shown here aims to be the best selling model of the GT range - The 320d Gran Turismo. Customers will be able to choose their 3er GT with three different model lines and also an M-Sport Packet. And also accessories from the M Performance range.

The transition of the 5er GT interior comfort and refinement is embodied in the 3er GT, making the 3er GT one of the most exclusive interiors available in the segment. The extended wheelbase allows more passenger space a feature customers would appreciate given the space on offer in the F30. The F30 is already winning plaudits for its dynamics and the 3er GT adds an extra dash of refinement and comfort to make the car more fluid on the road and the extra edge of the F30's sporting dynamics should the keen driver care to exploit the car.

Look out for more on the 3er Gran Turismo Concept very soon.

4. Hofmeister

Hofmeister Active Member

So can you confirm to us whether the interior will be any different to the F30?
    And will BMW into the future always preview their brand-new models with barely disguised concepts like the "Concept 1er GT"?

5. shonguiz

shonguiz Well-Known Member

They did'nt even bother offering a brand new interior to the I8, so i doubt they will act diffrently here, you will may be get more leather, wood and color options but that's it.

6. Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

Judging from the smashing sales success of the 5GT, this car is destined for greatness.

341a11c5ca6d9242b9c34542ad543420.

041bd17232a88c3582f5f523f5d314a4.

66bde4bb5d3bde61bba2210e72f8085c.

d1b744adc56bdfc91dac2e76daafc14e.

7. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Have you not been paying attention?
    The interior is not important for the i8 yet. The i8 Interior is a productionised version of the Concept Car, The prototype uses Cannibalized BMW interior parts for testing.

The 3er GT is very euro-centric as it arrives in a market where such mainstream manufacturer cars are being decimated in sales by more volume-orientated cross-over and premium sedan concepts but it is known that customers are still needing extra flexibility from a sedan. You will be able to order your 3er GT with the same engines and lines as the 3er so it will open the car to a new audience. One instrument of success of the 5er GT is that it has brought first time customers to BMW something it is hoped the 3er GT repeats. Also success in China is also important , the 5er GT appeals to those that want a more exlusive 5er Li it is hoped the 3er GT follows the same intentions with the 3er Li.
    There are also manufacturers who realise that their is still demand for these types of cars , VW for example have developed a hatch of the next VW Passat to accomodate those that have requested a hatch for the Passat ever since they stopped producing one in 1988.

Despite the opinion of the 5er GT (we have an ex-BMW fleet 530d GT) I have a new found fondness for the maligned GT , The boot is very capacious and the interior is always a talking point and I happen to love the Coupe-esque roofline.
    The 5er GT is a premium car inside and out. People who judge the 5er GT , judge the cover but have no intention of reading the book.

I have heard some conflicting stories regarding whether the 3er GT will be launched in the US Market as the X1 has a heads-up over the 328i Touring in the USA , should The Touring under perform The car will be gone from the US by the first LCi.
    But with the 3er Touring deemed to be the last euro wagon standing as the next E-Klasse T-Modell due next year is not being federalized for the US because of the cannibalisation of sales by the ML-Klasse and the continuing US love for everything SUV.

The 3er GT is an example of BMW's successful investment in modular architecture and technology sharing as the car will generate a very substantial profit for BMW. As will the 4er Gran Coupe - The new additions to the whole 3er/4er family.

8. SKY

SKY Well-Known Member

I hope the red render doesn´t resemble the 3er GT headlights. I don´t like the headlights meet the kidneys just because they are connected by a tube. I prefer the renders we´ve seen from the next 7er, where the headlights are fully connected to the kidneys.

9. mini_cooper4

mini_cooper4 Well-Known Member

OMG :D Again, I have to say NO :)

10. PanterroR

PanterroR Well-Known Member

Ugly, veeeery ugly... Shame on you, BMW.

11. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

I thought this wasn't supposed to look like the 5er GT? Terrible.

12. klier

klier Member

^ yeah, well, Scott doesn't really know what he is talking about sometimes.

3er GT mimicks 5er GT in looks and shape. 4er GC looks like the 6er GC. Scott had them mixed up. A lot of people in fact.

Still I think it looks rather good for what it is (I've never really disliked the 5er GT although I would never buy one), but I am really happy the 4er GC is also coming. Without the 4er GC, the 3er GT would suck ;)
    But choice is always good.

13. EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

In real life the 3er GT looks like a coupe version of 5er GT. :D Seriously.

It's lower, it's sleeker, the whole stance is more aggressive, it looks sportier & more dynamic. It communicates a different character than 5er GT does (5er GT = large & comfortable & spacious luxury highway cruiser with semi-commanding sitting position). Yes, it's still a BMW GT - with typical hatchback shape yet in 3er GT case the car is more fastbackish looking.

3er GT still has that GT-typical semi-commanding driving position (compared to 3er sedan & touring), it's more comfortable than 3er sedan, has more cabin room ... yet compared to 5er GT it's definitely much sportier & more dynamic, more aggressive.

Put 3er GT next to 5er GT, and the difference is similar to a difference between 7er LWB & 6er GC - general appearance wise.

14. klier

klier Member

Because it's based on a 3er and not on a 7er like the 5 GT. For the rest it is a small 5er GT. Like a 3er is lower, sleeker and more agressive compared to a 7er.

And I see what I see Eni, your talk doesn't chance the looks of the FEP car...;)

15. K-A

K-A Banned

And that's a good thing, how? "Looks nothing at all resembling a 5er GT" would be much more confidence inspiring. ;)

16. EnI

Guys, I'm just saying - beside the price difference - there is also a difference in appearance & character, therefore different kind of buyers will be targeted & attracted. Just like in 3er sedan vs 4er GC vs 5er sedan vs 6er GC vs 7er sedan case. All those cars are 4dr sedans (some lower, some higher, some longer, some shorter, some wider etc ...). And they all look alike somehow (general design, not detail styling) yet attract different customers, offering different character & driving / riding experience.

And 3er GT will be a perfect perfect for those, who still want a roomy car, more practical than sedan, but not a wagon or an SAV/SAC, with semi-commanding sitting position (it's proved elderly & women like to sit higher but not too high) and who find 5er GT either too large (& more comfy than dynamic), or too expensive.

Regarding 5er GT (available with 6-cyl & 8-cyl engines only): BMW sold approx. 65,000 units of 5er GT worldwide since its launch in November 2009. And mind since July 2012 a much cheaper (approx €8k or -15% in Germany compared to previous entry model: the 530d GT!!!) 520d GT has been available - a model for which there was a huge demand by customers @ 5er GT launch but unfortunately it wasn't offered by BMW back then. And since 3er GT will be available with various 4-cyl diesel & petrol engines, it makes it even more attractive product.

17. Monster

Monster Global Moderator Staff Member

Did the 5 GT take away potential customers for the 5 er wagon or the X5? Did it attract a new group of customers to BMW?

18. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

After all, we can still pretend that the 3GT doesn't exist. So far it works fine for me, as far as the X5/6M and 5GT are concerned :D

19. klier

klier Member

Probably both, and it is impossible to tell.

20. EnI

Total global sales figures indicate no influence of 5er GT introduction on X5, X6, 5er Touring & 7er sales performance. Yet I guess that can be issue in some specific markets but I have no data to prove that. Sorry.