1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

COMPARISON TESTS AutoBild - BMW M550d x-Drive vs BMW M5

Discussion in '5 Series' started by DeDe, Jun 2, 2012.

1. DeDe

DeDe Well-Known Member Contributing Member

[Broken External Image]:http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...Scans/AutoBild - BMW M550d vs BMW M5/th_1.jpg[Broken External Image]:http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...Scans/AutoBild - BMW M550d vs BMW M5/th_2.jpg[Broken External Image]:http://i1244.photobucket.com/albums...Scans/AutoBild - BMW M550d vs BMW M5/th_3.jpg

"The better M5: a diesel?"

1st place: BMW M550d x-Drive (512/700 points, 73,1 %)
    • Weight: 2040 kg
    • 0-100 km/h: 5,2 s
    • 0-160 km/h: 12,0 s
    • Braking (100-0 km/h), warm: 35,6 m
    • Noise at 130 km/h: 69 dB(A)
    • Average fuel consumption: 9,2 l / 100 km
    2nd place: BMW M5 (495/700 points, 70,7 %)
    • Weight: 1950 kg
    • 0-100 km/h: 4,4 s
    • 0-160 km/h: 8,6 s
    • Braking (100-0 km/h), warm: 33,9 m
    • Noise at 130 km/h: 72 dB(A)
    • Average fuel consumption: 11,6 l / 100 km
    Driving Center Groß Dölln laptimes:
    1:30.11 min - BMW M5
    1:33.55 min - BMW M550d x-Drive

Verdict:
    The diesel M won because of its comfort and fine-tuning: great balance between sportiness and everyday usability. Less costs. The M5 is a first-class sportsaloon.

:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

LOL I dont think people will be crosshoping between these two.

3. Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Contributing Member

True. An M5 is an M car. I would consider the M550d to be more of an M5 light for those less willing to provide for their car instead of their family.

4. chonkoa

chonkoa Well-Known Member

Interesting comparo and an even more interesting outcome.

5. Deckhook

Deckhook Banned

This is the second time when an M5 has lost due to the reviewers preferring a better balance between comfort, performance and value, it appears that both sides of the pond are starting to change their opinions of what really makes the perfect performance saloon.

6. FC123

FC123 Well-Known Member

They don't state the M550 is a better performance saloon, they state the M5 is the better performance saloon, but that the M550 is the better all rounder due to more comfort, lower consumption and lower price.

The test doesn't really make sense - if all you want is comfort, low consumption and low price - the 520d will win every time.

It's a typical german test, where all attributes are considered equally. A Skoda Fabia would win against a 458 because of low price, extra doors, bigger trunk, better economy etc. etc.

In the real world the M550d probably is the better car - but why would you care if you're shopping for performance?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Deckhook

Deckhook Banned

^I think you have misunderstood what I meant, like with the S6 in the C&D test here the M550d is pick because it's performance is close enough without compromising as much on either price, comfort or economy. They are basically saying the M550d is less of a compromise and thus a better overall performance saloon for modern times.

I don't think anyone will disagree the M5 is a better performance car than the M550d, just that it's more compromised in achieving this goal.