1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

Autobild: 1M vs RS3 vs Focus RS500

Discussion in 'Internal Combustion' started by Just_me, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

Coming next issue. South promised a translation and DeDe will probably post the scans. Not much info for now.

Audi/bmw/ford
    0–100 km/h 4,6 s 4,9 s 5,6 s
    0–200 km/h 17,5 s 17,3 s k.A.

[Broken External Image]:http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/3157/18295472.jpg

• Like Like x 14
    Automotix
  2. donkeykong

donkeykong Well-Known Member

should be good can't wait

3. Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Those are the hottest hatches in the world. Interestingly the R32 didn't make the comparison, but results should be insightful and glorious.

Automotix
  4. PanterroR

PanterroR Well-Known Member

1M owns them in looks department big time! :usa7uh:

:t-cheers:

• Like Like x 4
    You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  5. DeDe

DeDe Well-Known Member Contributing Member

It is just a first drive comparison, so no measured data or tracktime... :t-hands:

I will scan the article tonight.

You Deserve a Vacation!  Save up to $50 on Packages with Code GROUP50 . Book Now with CheapOair.com
  6. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

I know but full story coming next issue AB Sportcar they say.....

7. DeDe

It's already out. I got that issue, it's a 10-page driving impression...
    (AutoBild Sportscars 05/2011)

8. martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

We're missing one: the WRX STI Spec C.

R32 - As in VW Golf R32? Surely you mean Golf R? Nah, it got walloped by Evo X and WRX STI a few issues back in EVO. Suffers from a distinct lack of rear-end mobility - something that afflicts the RS3 too, in spite of Audi putting narrower tyres on the rear axle than the front.

The RS500 I hear is an absolute blast. Pity they don't make 'em no more.

In the end, the star of this show has to be the 1M - with its silky straight six, manual box and slippy rear M-diff, the 1M is without doubt the most appealing drivers car here.

• Like Like x 4
    Automotix
  9. conneem

conneem Active Member

Was that what they concluded to in the article?

10. martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Nope, those are solely my opinions on the matter. :)

11. FC123

FC123 Well-Known Member

How very nice, that a manual 6-speed proves faster to 200 than a DSG-equipped car of comparable power.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Beemer B773ER

Beemer B773ER Well-Known Member

Does it ever! Everything about it, front, side, rear...visually fantastic! :bowdown:

What could be a possible reason/s for this?

Is it Audi being lazy with their gearing, much like they were with the RS5's (lazy as in, not the optimal gearing) ?

• Like Like x 2
  13. FC123

FC123 Well-Known Member

Perhaps, it may be geared for 0-160, and then more for economy at higher speeds. It may be just a difference in gearing, meaning the Audi is quicker to 220. Honestly, at such a little difference everything could play into it.

Won't stop us debating the crap out of it. ;)

Is the 1M lighter?

Automotix
  14. Beemer B773ER

One thing I just noticed after doing a quick search. The 100 and 200km/h acceleration figures for the 1M are both identical to its quoted times.

Considering Just_Me stated this at the moment this is simply a 'driving impressions' test, I'm guessing they haven't put any of these cars head to head for a race to the line.

15. Beemer B773ER

BMW 1M: 1,495 kg (3,296 lbs.) Source
    Audi RS3: 1,575 kg (3,473 lbs.) Source

• Like Like x 6
    Automotix
  16. conneem

conneem Active Member

Along with it's extra weight, drag could also effect the RS3 at higher speeds, it has a pretty high coeff. of 0.362 and a frontal area of 2.16m^2.

17. DeDe

18. conneem

conneem Active Member

Can anyone translate the conclusion please :)

Something about, the RS3 takes an advantage with it's traction. Nevertheless the duel of the year is completely open. Come the curves the BMW revels.

That's about as far as my German stretches.

Automotix
  19. FC123

FC123 Well-Known Member

That would explain it, I do think the times given in these tests, are not actually ones measured by the magazine.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Human

Human You. The Road. Nothing else. Premium Member

Without a doubt!:usa7uh:
    :worshbmw: