1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

Audi Q8 - Spyshots, info & rumours

Discussion in 'New Audi Models / Vehicles' started by Tumbo, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Tumbo

Tumbo Audi/MB/VW/Lambo fan

435b916be019176f0342a357f50d3bd7.

36440c00bff2715331264e0844a9c526.

According to Car & Driver European contributor Jens Meiners, Audi is about to go crossover crazy including a top-of-the-line offering dubbed Q8. Previous projects like the A1-based Q2, a three door Q4 and the upcoming Q6 have all been rumored up until now, but this is the first time we’ve seen mention of something set to slot above the Audi Q7 in price and luxury.
    Enter the Q8. According to Meiners, the Q8 is envisioned as a “coupe-like crossover derivative” of the next-generation Audi Q7. As such, both will be based on Audis MLB modular longitudinal matrix. Apparently Audi sees the sales success of the BMW X6 and Range Rover Sport and wants a piece of the action. They’re said to achieve this by MY2016, the ime targeted by Car & Driver as likely when the model will hit U.S. shores, positioned and priced above the Q7.
    Want to know more? Check out Jens Meiners report at Car & Driver’s website. The piece includes a render that’s not very realistic, but gives a further estimation (as does our own drawing render above) of what we can expect with the new model.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Contributing Member

We can criticize BMW has much we want but there is no denying that they have led the front of luxury SUV and every new model has been a blockbuster. No wonder Audi wants in on the pie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. tristatez28lt1

tristatez28lt1 Well-Known Member

Auto Motor und Sport render:
    c457a29cdaa9bc6b00a772eb5b98e581.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MarcinM

MarcinM Member

Looks great, but I rather think this is just a wishful on the part of the person responsible for the render and not based on any actual leaks from Audi design bureau.

5. tristatez28lt1

tristatez28lt1 Well-Known Member

AutoZeitung.de render of a sporty Q7 (possibly Q8)
    6f1d5480b4d845c9f938f76308d64b72.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

They took inspiration from the LF-A for the front bumper?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Levi68

Levi68 Banned

8. klier

klier Member

Hahaha, yeah. Very worried :D

9. JHF

JHF Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  10. rs271

rs271 Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

We already have the German Tesla it's called BMWi. And its the only manufacturer who can be considered to be like Tesla who start with a clean sheet in the development of an electric vehicle. Audi is not even on the same page if all they can do is electrify an existing concept.

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  12. DjordjeC63

DjordjeC63 Active Member

BMW i <<<< Tesla

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JHF

JHF Well-Known Member

awww.gtspirit.com_wp_content_uploads_2014_02_q8_e_option_3.

Audi is said to be hard at work creating an all-electric SUV dubbed the Audi Q8 e-Tron designed to rival the Tesla Model X which has yet to hit the market.

Set to share battery and electric technology with the Audi R8 e-Tron (set to hit production in limited numbers soon), the Audi Q8 e-Tron is quite a few years away with a debut before 2017 unlikely. Nevertheless, Audi is said to be aiming for an impressive 370 mile range on the batteries.

As mentioned, the car the Audi Q8 e-Tron will rival, the Tesla Model X, has yet to be previewed in production specification let alone showroom deliveries beginning. Nevertheless, with the Model X said to be just a few months away from being officially launched, Audi is evidently more than confident Tesla’s SUV will go ahead. The Audi Q8 is also said to feature a similar electric powertrain layout as the Model X with electric motors powering the front and rear wheels.

Likely to be powered by a battery pack producing around 80kWh of power, the Audi Q8 e-Tron could perform similarly to the Tesla Model X. However, because the Q8 e-Tron won’t hit the market until a good two to three years after the Model X, its range will likely be even better thanks to advancements in battery power.

Unlike the Tesla Model X however, the Audi Q8 e-Tron is said to be only one variant of an entirely new Q8 range. The Q8 will likely also be available with a selection of different petrol and diesel engines with a hybrid powertrain also likely.

[Via Autocar]

http://www.gtspirit.com/2014/02/04/all-electric-audi-q8-suv-confirmed-to-rival-tesla-model-x/

• Like Like x 1
  14. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Audi needs to decide what to do with the Q7 - it's nearly 10 years on the market! And when they decide on what to do, they need to decide on where to apply each design language they use these days. I can understand the differences between what is called "Quattro language" and what is "e-tron language" in Audi's press releases, but in order to have a clear strategy and brand identity, you need to stop playing around with tens of concepts (or just tens of versions of the very same thing) and start bringing models to production.

BMW did have the balls to go through with the Project i. I still despise the idea of electric mobility, 3-cyl diesel superscars and all that, but kudos to them for the fact that all those crazy ideas and concepts are now production cars. And the Project i design language is vastly different from the rest of the BMW line-up and also fully separated. Actually everything works as planned, and in a different universe where my bank accounts would be full and the i8 would have the V10 from the E60 M5, I would have bought one.

Audi is taking a very politically correct approach even with their concept cars.

• Winner Winner x 1