1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some sections can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

A look into the Crystal Ball... The 2016 BMW 5er

Discussion in 'SCOTT27's Info Channel' started by SCOTT27, Jun 20, 2012.

1. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

A Look into the Crystal Ball.

The 2016 BMW 5er.

Well yes and no.
    The next generation 5er is as I understand going through the motions of design process at the moment so they cannot give a concrete conclusion as we are still some time off from final design freeze , or the final car that will be chosen for production.

Of course design is very much influenced by BMW's latest sculptural approach as demonstrated on the Vision Connected Drive concept car which is a preview to the next progression of the current cars that began with the BMW 7er in 2008.

What is known is that architecture and matrix will be shared with additional models as of the current model that shares extensively a matrix with the 6er and 7er. Again the BMWi influence will be inherited as the 7er leads the beginning of extensive CFRP material technology in not only structure but also with key body panels such as roof , bonnet , trunk lid and door skins will bring the weight down significantly over todays car by a considerable margin.

In the meantime the car will receive an LCi in the next twelve months which will see the 5er inherit similar LED technology as the latest 7er , some additional technology updates and engine upgrades and subtle styling changes with a look inspired by the 2010 BMW Active Hybrid 5 Concept.
    The 5er could also be the basis for a world first high efficiency model powered by BMW's upcoming three cylinder diesel engine reminscent of earlier 5ers such as the E28 and E34 518i.
    This time in the more conventional choice of diesel.

Acknowledgement to AutoZeitung.de

Attached Files:

2. Merc1

Merc1 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Another reason why I didn't jump on the M5 ship. Most likely the 2014 U.S. model will be the facelift, a year after the M5 is introduced here. No thanks. 6-Series "LCI" is a ways out and the 2013 just got more power, I'm happy.

Whatever BMW comes up with they're going to have to work very hard to top and/or not mess up the current 5-Series design. The current car is the best looking 5-Series since the 1989-1995 version.

M

• Like Like x 1
  3. south

south Well-Known Member

Yep, good point.

Also, applying the usual 7-year cycle, the new 5 Series should be a 2017 model.

Best regards,
    south

4. K-A

K-A Banned

So instead of having the 5 sharing so much styling/technicals with the 6 and 7 (and 3), even more models will adopt a "me-too" look that the 5er will be a part of?

5. Ultimate Car Guy

Ultimate Car Guy Well-Known Member

I don't understand where you're comming from. The design for the upcomming 5er is still a work in progress. You cannot possibly comment on the looks or styling direction based on this fact.

6. K-A

K-A Banned

Isn't that what he said?

"What is known is that architecture and matrix will be shared with additional models as of the current model that shares extensively a matrix with the 6er and 7er."

Sounds to me like "the close likeness between the 5/6/7 (he may have left out the 3) will be spread further and include more models going forward".

7. EMpower

EMpower Well-Known Member

OK, so why is Scott saying "the 2016 5er"? The F10 started with 2011 MY in US, so the next gen(4+3 LCI years) 5er should be 2018 MY in US, unless BMW is moving to 5-year cycle, are they?? Scott?

8. hoffmeister_fan

hoffmeister_fan Well-Known Member

I'm pretty confident that's in reference to the platform, not necessarily the design. But I imagine there will be a familial resemblance amongst its members.

9. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

10. EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

The new modular RWD platform is lean ... Since it will be used for next generation of 3er, and also 2er! So, from 2er to Ghost - a single modular platform!

Daimler & VAG are doing the same ... everybody does. Introducing a single, common modular platform for a certain engine-drive layout.

Meaning eg. 2er will be able to incorporate the same (size-compatible) tech as 7er & Ghost! Trickle-down process will be easier than ever!

Due to same underpinnings there will be much more design similarities (eg. in layouts) than today. Sure there will be differences in styling, but layouts will be the same. Especially in the interior - which IMHO isn't an issue until such layout works well ergonomically etc. The issue will be when it won't work well: then entire fleet will have the same issue, the same flaw.

Design & development of a such common platform is very complicated & complex.Quite a challenge!

But mind ... the new BMW RWD platform derives from "Project Gran Turismo" (BMW large 4dr coupe-sedan, based on CS Concept), overseen initially (before he retired) by Gerhard Richter, ex-BMW-M technical director. So it's definitely a great platform. The question remains, how it will be set & calibrated ... since that's more a marketing than engineering decision. Today most vital car functions are software-controlled ... so, what mapping is used in the production car is mostly a marketing decision. Usually in regular cars less aggressive mapping is used. More aggressive mappings will be reserved for M-Sport pack & M Performance cars.

11. mini_cooper4

mini_cooper4 Well-Known Member

2016 means a 6-year cycle. The next 5er will hit production during 2017 and first deliveries will happen during 2017 too :)
    I guess Scott have made a mistake or he has heard some rumours and thought they were true story :)

12. K-A

K-A Banned

Ugh. As a car enthusiast, and somebody who can give a damn about the business of cars, that's a tragic story. We can look forward to marketing separating cars more so than ever, as price points will reflect that so highly since these cars will all become so homogenized, be it technically and aesthetically. It comes across as lazy, and many makers are already suffering from that. If that pans out, kiss bespoke and uniqueness good by going forward, especially in this day and age where BMW seem to be aggressively pursing "putting a BMW of every kind in everybody's garage".

13. EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

To provide the latest tech & solutions to the customers @ affordable time all the process (R&D, production, logistics, etc etc) has to be perfectly optimized. Even to the level of modular platforms. Not only when it comes to chassis, engines etc but also when it comes to other less crucial stuff in cars.

And I've said that before: with cars going more and more electronic - it's mainly down to CPU mapping, software, firmware, GUI etc. And there is a strong trend towards UX-driven solutions (UX = user experience) - and that's the task of marketing people to find out, what customers really want.

Sure there are better engineering solutions out there - from purely technical point of view. But stuff has to be made FOR USER, not for a designer, a developer or an engineer.

And every company's goal is to make A MAJORITY of their customers happy, to give them what they want. An if there are many customers who want that (profitable) product - that's a win-win situation.

Regarding "BMW in everybody's garage" ... it's definitely an aftermath of affordable purchase financing (loans, leasing etc) ... and emerging huge new markets (like China) with tons of new customers. Since the prices are going up, rarely down. Yet the product is still more popular, more affordable etc.

Automotive business today is one of the most complex, most challenging & most intriguing (B2C) industrial business known to mankind.

14. tomazino

tomazino Active Member

First official img of f10 were 24. november, 2009. So, 2009 + 7 = 2016.

15. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

I am German. I do not abide by the confusing US one year ahead gap on model lines.
    5er (F60?) will be launched in late 2016 , meaning sales beginning in the first quarter of 2017.
    Therefore completing the 7year shelf-life of the F10.

Further sharing of architecture and technology will not only allow expansion but also investigation for new profitable niches.

• Like Like x 3
  16. mini_cooper4

mini_cooper4 Well-Known Member

It's in production since 2010... not 2009 :)
    We ain't talking about mules or pre-production vehicles here :)

Regards

17. Auto

Auto Active Member

F10 gets a face lift in 12 months? Isn't that a bit early?

18. Hofmeister

Hofmeister Active Member

It just occurred to me that BMW might launch the 2016 5 Series to coincide with their hundredth anniversary.
    Why? :
    5 Series is the longest running "Series" line.
    It'll be the 7th generation, 7's a lucky number
    3rd time to make a 5 Series better than the E39 ( 3rd time lucky ) ?
    Or am I looking too far ahead:D

19. chonkoa

chonkoa Well-Known Member

Not that anyone will listen but for Pete's sake create room for a spare even if you don't want to provide a spare for being cheap.
    I know I am in the minority but I need space for my spare tyre.

20. SKY

SKY Well-Known Member

3er? the first one is the F10. The E60 is miles behind the E39 in the looks deartment.