1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

OFFICIAL Official: New BMW 1-series Sportstourer (F20)

Discussion in '1 Series' started by dr Dunkel, Jun 5, 2011.

1. dr Dunkel

dr Dunkel Global Moderator Staff Member

Credit goes to Shining Star for this post.

Pressrelease - at a glance

The new BMW 1 Series: the second generation of this pioneering premium compact range. Still the only rear-wheel-drive model in its class. Even more sporty and fuel-efficient than before, and significantly more comfortable and spacious. Outstanding interior and exclusive features, occupying a distinctive niche within its segment. Unique combination of premium-quality handling, aesthetics and innovative technology.

Five doors. Bold, swept-back body; uniquely high-quality, sporty design with BMW’s typically elegant proportions and boldly shaped surfaces. Youthful, lively image enhanced by design elements highlighting the maturity and premium status of the new BMW 1 Series. BMW Sport Line and BMW Urban Line provide added scope for personalization using exclusive interior and exterior design features and equipment.
    For the first time, all the petrol and diesel engines for the BMW 1 Series now feature new BMW TwinPower Turbo technology. A new generation of 1.6-litre petrol engines: BMW 116i with 100 kW/136 hp, BMW 118i with 125 kW/170 hp. Radically redesigned 2.0-litre diesel engines: BMW 116d with 85 kW/116 hp, BMW 118d with 105 kW/143 hp, BMW 120d with 135 kW/184 hp. Also scheduled for launch soon is the BMW 116d EfficientDynamics Edition, with a 85-kW/116-hp 1.6 litre diesel engine and additional fuel-saving technologies that will keep CO2 emissions over the EU testing cycle down to just 99 g/km.

BMW 1 Series still a market leader with its
    BMW EfficientDynamics technology: first car in the world in its segment with optional eight-speed automatic transmission, Automatic Start/Stop function in both manual and automatic transmissions. ECO PRO mode is activated using the driving experience switch (included as standard).

Significantly improved comfort and unique handling thanks to rear-wheel drive, in-line engines, perfectly balanced weight distribution and advanced suspension technology. Double-joint cross-strut front axle; five-link rear axle; high-precision electromechanical power steering with no interference from the drive train. Optional Variable Sports Steering; DSC Driving Stability Control including DTC Dynamic Traction Control and electronically locking rear differential as standard.

Body 85 millimetres longer, wheelbase 30 millimetres longer, front track 51 millimetres wider and rear track 72 millimetres wider than previous model; height remains unchanged, but 17 millimetres of increased width create a more spacious interior and a sportier look. 21 millimetres more rear legroom; luggage compartment expanded from 330 to 360 litres; luggage capacity expandable to a maximum of 1,200 litres with rear seats folded down (40/20/40 seats available optionally). Large number of storage compartments, shelves and cupholders in cockpit.

Highly torsion-resistant body for increased responsiveness and passenger protection. Comprehensive range of safety equipment including front, side and head airbags.

High-quality interior with driver-friendly cockpit and outstanding materials and finishes; optional iDrive system with integral dashboard control display using the exclusive BMW flatscreen design.

BMW ConnectedDrive: a comprehensive and (for a compact car) unique selection of optional driver assistance systems and mobility services. High-beam assistance, Adaptive Headlights, parking assistance, reversing camera, Lane Departure Warning including Collision Warning, cruise control with brake function, speed-limit and no-passing information, Internet connectivity, increased smartphone and music player integration, real-time traffic information, and web radio, Facebook and Twitter apps.

Model versions:

BMW 118i: Four-cylinder in-line petrol engine with
    BMW TwinPower Turbo technology package, consisting of twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC and Double-VANOS variable valve control,
    capacity: 1, 598 cc, output: 125 kW/170 hp at 4,800 rpm,
    maximum torque: 250 Nm at 1,500 – 4,500 rpm,
    acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 7.4 seconds,
    maximum speed: 225 km/h,
    combined-cycle fuel consumption*: 5.8 – 5.9 litres/100 kilometres,
    CO2 emissions*: 134 – 137 g/km, emissions standard: EU5.

BMW 116i: Four-cylinder in-line petrol engine with
    BMW TwinPower Turbo technology package, consisting of twin-scroll turbocharger, High Precision Injection, VALVETRONIC and Double-VANOS variable valve control,
    capacity: 1,598 cc, output: 100 kW/136 hp at 4, 400 rpm,
    maximum torque: 220 Nm at 1,350 – 4, 300 rpm,
    acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 8.5 seconds,
    maximum speed: 210 km/h,
    combined-cycle fuel consumption*: 5.5 – 5.7 litres/100 kilometres,
    CO2 emissions*: 129 – 132 g/km, emissions standard: EU5.

BMW 120d: Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine with
    BMW TwinPower Turbo technology package, consisting of variable-geometry turbocharger, common-rail magnetic-valve direct injection
    (max. injection pressure: 1,800 bar),
    capacity: 1,955 cc, output: 135 kW/184 hp at 4, 000 rpm,
    maximum torque: 380 Nm at 1,750 – 2, 750 rpm,
    acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 7.2 seconds,
    maximum speed: 228 km/h,
    combined-cycle fuel consumption*: 4.5 – 4.6 litres/100 kilometres,
    CO2 emissions*: 119 – 122 g/km, emissions standard: EU5.

BMW 118d: Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine with
    BMW TwinPower Turbo technology package, consisting of variable-geometry turbocharger, common-rail, magnetic-valve direct injection (max. injection pressure: 1,600 bar),
    capacity: 1,955 cc, output: 105 kW/143 hp at 4,000 rpm,
    max. torque: 320 Nm at 1,750 – 2, 500 rpm,
    acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 8.9 seconds,
    maximum speed: 212 km/h,
    combined-cycle fuel consumption*: 4.4 – 4.5 litres/100 kilometres,
    CO2 emissions*: 115 – 118 g/km, emissions standard: EU5.

BMW 116d: Four-cylinder in-line diesel engine with
    BMW TwinPower Turbo technology package, consisting of variable-geometry turbocharger with common-rail, magnetic-valve direct injection (max. injection pressure: 1,600 bar),
    capacity: 1,955 cc, output: 85 kW/116 hp at 4,000 rpm,
    maximum torque: 260 Nm at 1,750 – 2,500 rpm,
    acceleration [0 – 100 km/h]: 10.3 seconds,
    maximum speed: 200 km/h,
    combined-cycle fuel consumption*: 4.3 – 4.5 litres/100 kilometres,
    CO2 emissions*: 114 – 117 g/km, emissions standard: EU5.

* EU test figures, variations due to differences in the tyres fitted
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mr. Mercedes

Mr. Mercedes Well-Known Member

I think I'll end up liking the 1 in person and the M-sports model should look great. Those high res shots from Scott certainly show the surfacing in a new light. It's not entirely coherent, and lacks the emotive aspect of MB's new surfacing treatments, but It's visually interesting. The large gap between the headlights and the grill appears less awkward when you look at the 3 dimensional elements they have incorporated. I would have rather they produced a conventionally attractive model like the z4 and not gone done obscure X1 route. One that you know as soon as you look at its its good looking. But anyway It's not like the base models of the previous gen were lookers anyway.

I think between this and the A-class, the A3 will be the conventionally attractive choice.

The interior does absolutely nothing for me. Looks dark and depressing and fragmented. There's no flow from the driver side of the dash to the passengers side. And a few lashes of colour does not an exciting interior make. It's neither sporty nor elegant. Best bit is the door handles lifted from the previous generation.
  3. dr Dunkel

Said images from Scott:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. nalyd

nalyd Member

I must admit to not seeing such general dislike towards a new model for some time. The overall negativity is quite startling, almost E65'esque (OK, not that much ;))

The F20, well more than anything, this must be a case of cannot win, only lose. Either a new car looks too much like a clone of an existing model (F10 to F01, same sausage, different lenghts) or it is panned by all and sundry for looking different.

I remember seeing the E87 press pictures for the first time and I must say that it looked way more 'odd' back then.

I think that BMW has presented a great premium vehicle option here that will appeal to quite a broad range of customers. One thing that I do know is that in general, women love the E87 design and I would imagine that this version will have a similar pull versus the 'techno clean' look of the upcoming A3 and 'Futuristic' MB A-Class. It is all about appeal to the broadest range of customers here and BMW certainly do not want this car to prostitute existing models like the 3er. On that basis, the design positioning is spot on.

Remember that all of these models have to sell on cooking versions with 16-inch wheels and less premium detailing. I personally think that the E87 5-door 116i looks pretty awful in this guise.

Lets look at the real highlights.

Firstly, this vehicle is quite a bit larger than the outgoing model and yet it has an almost identical weight (lighter in the 120d). Seeing that the F30 is essentially the same chassis, this bodes really well for the upcoming 3.

The level of technology and options in this new 1-Series is actually pretty unbelievable. It is great to see the new technology in BMW filter to such an 'entry' level.

My final comment is to just say that I will reserve judgement until I have seen this vehicle in the flesh. I cannot get a great perspective on the flame-surfaced bonnet and headlights, but I am certain that these will become quite 'alive' in real light.

The side profile is a bit boring and very evolutionary and the back is also an updated version of the E87 although it does have some Polo / Golf IV genes. Again, I will have to reserve judgement.

As an option to replace my wifes 320d for next year, not so sure. I am still holding out hope that the new F30 320d is not priced insanely by BMW South Africa.

I like what BMW have done and it is only making me look more forward to the the F30, which on this technical evidence, should be everything that we want.

Regards,
    Dylan
    • Like Like x 10
  5. tomazino

tomazino Active Member

on video its much better:

• Like Like x 10
  6. KIII3R 7

KIII3R 7 Member

7. MoSs

MoSs Well-Known Member

the car looks like a sad dog lol
  8. Centurion

Centurion Well-Known Member Contributing Member

Gosh it's been a busy week. Finally I have some time to sit down and comment on the F20. I have been following this thread for a few days and my initial reaction was revultion just like for the rest of you :D

But this is a BMW we're talking about but more specially is a Bimmer with bangle-ness and begs to be looked at differently than other cars. If you separate the cars visual elements, there is nothing ugly about them in isolation. Together all the elements create something of a mess that we cannot accept. In a nut shell the relationship between all elements don't subscribe to classic visual standards. The head lights for example are too big in relation to the car and to the kidney grills which happen to be surrounded by too much empty real estate. The split second you lay your eyes on the car you're reality is challenged and you stare at the car in search of harmony or logical sense in the appearance but there is none to be found. The Bangle spirit lives on.

I dare you all not to like this car in 3-6 months time because some of the bimmers we appreciate like the Z4, E60 and first generation 1-series are all obscure design developed to change our perception of cars and what we expect them to look like. This is why BMW are at the forefront of auto motive design.

How we come to terms with a revolutionary BMW design.

1. Confusion: We can't make sense of the design and fail to understand it.
    2. Rejection: Like in most situations humans reject what they don't understand so we hate.
    3. Curiosity: Despite not liking a design we are still curious about why it's different.
    4. Acceptance: Eventually be begin to understand the car for what it is and stop looking at it using the same eyes we look at other cars.
    5. Enlightenment: We hail the design and compliment it by saying that is makes other cars and current designs of rivals look out dated.

These two cars took me through that very journey described above:

84532934d47df4c2ba0057df9d64d9fd.
    [Broken External Image]:http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/9708/z45tx6.jpg
    • Like Like x 12
  9. Mr. Mercedes

Mr. Mercedes Well-Known Member

Great analysis Luw. I'm actually digesting and getting to LIKE this one quite quickly. The hardest bit to get ones head around is the large empty bumper space between the headlights and the grill. I really don't think the 3 dimensional treatment can really be appreciated but for an in person look at the vehicle. It won't just look like empty space then.

What is really perplexing though is that it's so at odds with BMW's current conservative design idiom. After the 5, 7 and X3, this one really makes you stop and think. It makes the X1 look relatively normal, and the only other oddities in the entire range is the snout like grill on the 7. But maybe this is how BMW will ensure it's appeal to a younger crowd too? It seems to be working on me.

Where I think the danger for the 1 rest is if the A-class manages to out funk/out sport it (appearance wise at least) without being as odd and the A3 ends up being the perennially beautifully and perfectly executed premium small car the CGI's are suggesting it will be. Will this leave the 1 in no mans land?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. K-A

K-A Banned

Is this where we come to make fun this car again? :D

So what will we see in the States? Is it just gonna be a Coupe again? I'm assuming they're not crazy enough to release this thing out here, although I WILL say that it looks much nicer than the 5 GT (which is the car that hopefully gets the message across to BMW to stop attempting to shove these awkward Wagon/Hatchback-y hybrids toward us), with the 5 GT having only one better angle than this 1: The front end (where the 1 looks disastrous in some packages).

Like I said in the last Thread, the side profile/architecture is stuck with what it is, as it seems this segment limits you, and the side sculpting is the same as on the F10 and other new Bimmers, although this cars proportions don't allow it to carry out as maturely and balanced. The rear doesn't make me grab for the vomit back as much as the 5 GT, but it looks like a VW, like I said before, I literally keep looking for a VW badge.
  11. SCOTT27

SCOTT27 Well-Known Member Contributing Member

A look at the car with optional wheels.

Official site should be available later today as will official videos.

Attached Files:

12. andyvalencia

andyvalencia Well-Known Member

Bigger wheels will be crucial but the design is very modern!

32ebe8a0c12cae28f0147da214a8baf2.
  13. Shining Star

Shining Star Well-Known Member Contributing Member

• Like Like x 10
  14. Vivaki

Vivaki Well-Known Member

BMW uk already updated with new one series. I will be looking very closely at the 1 series as the golf gt tdi will be replaced in September. Just hope the front lights are not as big as they seem in pictures.

BMW UK | New BMW 1 Series Sports Hatch

Edit: quite a few new pictures in the multimedia section and just read that a 6.5" screen will be standard, nice.
  15. dr Dunkel

I don't know how to say this, but the wheels seems to be really important in countering the headlights. If anyone remember, I think the same thing applied to both the E65 and the E63.

Agreed. I got the feeling after seeing the mockup M-sport package with what looked like 19" wheels (could easily be a trick of the eye in that case).
  16. EnI

EnI Well-Known Member GCF Guru Contributing Member

F20-wallpaper-3-1280. F20-wallpaper-2-1280. F20-wallpaper-1-1280. F20-wallpaper-6-1280. F20-wallpaper-5-1280. F20-wallpaper-4-1280. F20-wallpaper-9-1280. F20-wallpaper-8-1280. F20-wallpaper-7-1280.
    • Like Like x 8
  17. Vivaki

Vivaki Well-Known Member

^ yup those are the new pics that I was referring to in my post above. Still reserving my judgement though it is looking better since day one but one thing that hasn't changed from the previous model is the rear legroom for the middle passenger (transmission tunnel I know)
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  18. i like the new pics. I'm sure it will look much better on the roads. I already see some nice details in the new shots:D
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

Are those lights standard?
    If its an extra option, standard lights are not going to look good.
    My issue with the new 1-series are the shape of front and rear lights, thats what ruin the whole car. I dont like how the front lights wrap around the corner, looks like the car is one gigantic frontlight.
    If its true, its kinda sad you need 19" wheels to fill the arches. Its expensive and it has a negative impact on the ride.

When are we going to see the M-package, Scott said it was going to be introduced soon after this.
  20. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Maybe it will come with the 3dr version in January...

:t-cheers: