1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

SPIED! Mercedes W212 E-Class Facelift: Renders, Spyshots, Etc

Discussion in 'E-Class' started by LaArtist, Feb 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-A

K-A Banned

All in all, IMO M-B will still be losing market share in this segment as the current F10 and A6 will still look more appealing to customers, especially as they get more elegant and non-abrupt facelift subtle refinements. Some people might gaga over the overdone headlights but IMO that's going after a less intelligent form of design appreciation (accessorizing over holistic and fundamental design prowess), but IMO the W212 won't have a high degree of appreciation when looked at in retrospect, in the future.
  2. lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

I don't like the sports grill either.... the normal grill looks fine, because it seems bigger due to the extra chrome.
    Interior is great, B&O is a nice addition.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

The new tail light optics are from the S.
  4. montana

montana Active Member

Interior and rearlights changed for the better, rest for the worse IMO. Headlights might look good in person, but I doubt they'll be better than the pre-fl ones.
  5. Monster

Monster Global Moderator Staff Member

You can't possibly know how well it will do at this point, however I do agree with the part about the W212 not having a high degree of appreciation in the future.

btw I actually like the standard non sports facelift. The front bumper looks so much better resolved than the pre face-lift version. However the sports version of the face lift isn't as successful, it looks cheap and over aggressive for a car like the E-class.
  6. K-A

K-A Banned

Imagine how cool the headlights would look if they had all those nu-age LED's on the original QUAD design! They'd be the most unique headlights on the market when on AND off. Now they have a generic and homogenized shape when off, save for the internal graphics, and will obviously have a wild look when on. You'd get the best of both worlds with quad cutouts like the original and LED technology replacing the projectors.
  7. Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

Now that is a proper facelift.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. fortuner

fortuner Well-Known Member

I been looking at these pics a few times....

As a current owner off the W212 E class my views..

1.The front I think looks lovely especially in the standard grill...The sports one I need to see more pictures and colors before I can say..I really like the New grill and new Headlights.

2.Side looks fresh but I guess ill miss the Ponton Arch...But side profile looks much sleeker.

3.Rear I think is the best part I like the new lower bumper as well as the new lights..They changed the graphics for the better no doubt.

4.Interior nice subtle change but I expected slightly more change but looks very luxurious..

Overall I think its a very very good facelift

Hope Engines are beefed up ...
    • Like Like x 1
  9. lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

If this is their new strategy, I guess it does mean you'll need to get used to the fact that, if you buy a new car, 1 year after it has been on the market, that in another 2 years you'll have an out of date car.

However, I have the impression they won't be doing this with every car. I doubt the CLS is going to get such a facelift. I think they've just realised what is more commercially successful and want to bring their whole range up to date with that.

Hope this makes sense, I've just rolled in late to the office and only had one coffee.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mick Briesgau

Mick Briesgau Active Member

This is a real facelift, not just a little tweek there an here. Like the non-sports-grille very much. The sports-grille however doesn't suite the E-Klasse. Backside is more elegant.

Interior is partly a copy of CLS (three in stead of five clocks, analog clock in the middle, aluminium buttonstrip etc.

The B&O looks really very good in this car. Wouldn't order one without it.
  11. lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

The arrangement of the cameras is different to the existing one.... perhaps they've added some new tech?
  12. Mick Briesgau

They most certainly have. Partly new Tech form the S-Klasse (360 camera etc.)
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  13. montana

montana Active Member

Well, a man is allowed to dream. :D I really do agree, that would've been absolutely sick.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

Are you actually in Briesgau ? Driving between Basel and Freiburg is where I often see Merc. testing cars.
  15. K-A

K-A Banned

I think they're gonna keep doing this with designs they don't deem strong enough to stay relevant for a long enough time. Which is unacceptable to consider from a premium manufacturer who charges so much money for an E350 which isn't technically much superior to cars that cost a lot less than it. Much of what we payed for was the assumption of timeless value in the design.

Until then, people can support BMW and Porsche who don't make the pre-facelifts so drastically out of date by providing original designs that "don't need such extensive 'fixing'", therefore not having to do such extensive facelift work.

IMO a good facelift is a little refreshening, this goes much beyond that.
  16. lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

Time for that Porsche, KA !
  17. K-A

K-A Banned

I want. :D

Need to wait for this Lease to be up or find someone to take this damn thing off my hands! I still love the car but ready to move on and just don't feel like a million bucks getting into an M-B anymore. It was a good feeling while it lasted, though.

Also need to save up some more to not feel crazy for going all out on a bonafide Porsche.

Oddly enough, with these Holiday deals and M-B bending over backwards to keep current customers, I could probably get the best deal possible and not take a hit on my car if I got myself into a CLS (next price level up from an E, basically). Too bad I can't convince myself to "feel the magic" again, yet, and certainly not on a CLS.
  18. lukeswiss

lukeswiss Active Member

The CLS is probably just a bit too similar to make you feel like you're getting something special/different.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Mick Briesgau

No Luke, I'm not. But I've seen a lot of testing going on in that area as well.
  20. merc4

merc4 Active Member

Eventhough i like the prefacelift I think the facelift looks really good. Especially the interior is nice, nice chrome accents, the plastic around the command controller is gone. Bumpers are also very good and huge improvement, I think now E class does not need the Avantgard bumper to look dynamic and we know how the bumpers will look like on the S and C class. Maybe I am overoptimistic but I believe that with this quite a big facelift the E will have now 4 another years of life before itself like the S had. Throw into the equation the new engines and you have a semi new generation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.