High vs Low Displacement

Discussion in 'Internal Combustion' started by LaArtist, Jan 20, 2012.

?

Displacement?

1. High

77.8%
  2. Low

22.2%
  1. LaArtist

LaArtist Well-Known Member

Hey guys.

With the downsizing in engines and increased used of FI.. I thought ile make a thread on what kind of engines you guys prefere.

Is the low displacement, high rev and high output engines like this one your thing:

Or do you like huge displacement, lower reving high grunt engines like this one:

Those 2 videos above are extremes. But damn fun:D

Please vote, and motivate your choices:)
  2. Gianclaudio

Gianclaudio Well-Known Member Premium Member

I like better high reving, NA engine, preferably 6 in line or V12 :D
    I don't like the turbo lag at all.

Fav engines ever: Merc and BMW N.A. 6 in line, Zonda AMG V12, Porsche Carrera GT V10, and Jaguar 5.3 V12
  3. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

I'm still a fan of engines reeving beyond 8000 rpm and also a N/A engine sounds better than Turbo car IMO.
  4. Deckhook

Deckhook Well-Known Member

For everyday driving lowend torque is the ticket so I think that should tell you my preference.
  5. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

I hope you don't believe that the N/A low end torque is different to the FI low end torque, too...

:D
  6. LaArtist

LaArtist Well-Known Member

Well i think i was abit unclear here.

A large displacement engine can be high reving.. and a FI aswell..

FI vs NA.. or HI vs Low Rev is another topic which we can start threads on eventually.

This is about the displacement of the engine.

To me a high displacement engine is pure love. That way the engine is way less stressed and the power delivery is more effortless.
    The thought of a 2.0 l 300hp car makes me cringe..
    I rather have a 5.0 300hp car then.. which will be deemed as the worst of the 2..cause it has crap hp/l.
    But its something about the larger displacement engines and they way the deliver that i adore.

In aviation when it comes to piston engines, we use very high displacements and very low REVĀ“s.. not to stress the **** out of the engine.

So more thunder than Sewing machine for me:)

PS
    Epic video of a Corsair with a Pratt & Whitney 36cyl Radial Double Wasp Engine. 2400hp @ 2700rpm :D

7. Zonda

Zonda Well-Known Member

High rev NA, definitely!
  8. Giannis

Giannis Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

Renault's N/A 2.0lt engine, from the Clio sport, which produces 200hp. A truly great engine!

[​IMG]
  9. dr Dunkel

dr Dunkel Global Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, diesel is the way to go.
  10. Deckhook

Don't tell me it's the same....... shit, you've just burst my bubble. :D

But jokes aside I hope you do get my point here. High end power is great fun but of little benefit with daily driving and sure as hell isn't one bit relaxing but a hoot in small doses, that's why I love low end torque be it from an FI or large capacity but each to their own because it's all down to which setup floats your particular boat at the end of the day. :t-cheers:
  11. Deckhook

Definitely not unless economy is as important as actual performance. For me personally my S4 Avant with its supercharged V6 was the perfect combination of low end shove with instant responsiveness. Economy was its biggest failing though, it averaged little better than the M3 did.

Kind of surprised supercharging hasn't had the same uptake as turbos have?
  12. dr Dunkel

Well, I think engines like the 3.0 tdi and the 35d makes sense in the same way as does the 3.0 tfsi and the 35i, at least in my world. What do you seek that I don't?
  13. Deckhook

^My one and only concern with diesels is their noticeable lag but I absolute love their economy vs performance.
  14. dr Dunkel

Both suffer from the same but to different degrees. I'd have a 35d over a 35i anyday.
  15. Deckhook

Me too but I would chose a 3.0tfsi over either of them.

BTW, the lag that 35i suffers is part of the reason why we will be choosing the 328i instead because in my opinion the extra cash doesn't necessarily buy you that superior of an engine.
  16. klier

klier Member Premium Member

35i without question for me.
  17. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

35i revs to 7000 rpm and diesel reeving to like 5500 rpm. I know what I pick :)
  18. Gianclaudio

Gianclaudio Well-Known Member Premium Member

I really want to drive one of those Renaulsport Clio to see if all the hype is justified. Sadly, they're not common at all here in South America. :(
  19. Deckhook

^ It's a great engine but it's weight heightens the experience by quite a bit.
  20. K-A

K-A Banned

High.