Autoexpress: New Audi A6 vs Mercedes E-Class vs BMW 5 Series

Discussion in 'Internal Combustion' started by Soup, May 3, 2011.

1. Soup

Soup Well-Known Member Contributing Member

New Audi A6 vs rivals | Car Group Tests | Auto Express

[​IMG]

A new arrival has barged its 
way into the corporate car park, and Audi’s latest A6 has one objective 
– to secure class honours in a sector 
traditionally dominated by its German rivals. So has it got what it takes?

To find out, we grabbed the keys to 
the biggest-selling variant in the range. Entry-level diesels are the staple diet 
of go-getting executives across the 
land, as their desirable badges and 
low emissions provide car park kudos 
without any Benefit In Kind drawbacks.

The A6 2.0 TDI is expected to account for 75 per cent of sales and, of those, 
the majority will be in SE trim – so that’s what we decided to put through the wringer for its first group test. Up 
against it is a pair of intimidating rivals.

The BMW 520d needs no introduction. It stormed to the top of the class last 
year thanks to its low emissions, strong performance and engaging dynamics. It has the edge over the A6 on price, but 
is closely matched in other respects.

Watching over this squabble is the elder statesman of the executive sector. The Mercedes E-Class hit the office car park scene in 2009 and is already the 
oldest model in our line-up. Can it 
spring a surprise to beat the BMW, 
or will the Audi steal the show?

• Like Like x 22
  2. Mr. Mercedes

Mr. Mercedes Well-Known Member

Exactly. Tests with disparate suspension options are becomming increasingly irrelevant given how much of a difference the different suspension tunes and options make to the way these vehicles drive.

The E-class has just recieved new engines and the 5 speed transmission has been axed and replaced with the 7, which makes the E a bit more competitive in drivetrain aspects.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DblPen

DblPen Active Member

5er that was tested here wasnt m-packed, it was diffirent from a pictured one (which looks absolutely epic imo).
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Human

Human You. The Road. Nothing else. Premium Member

Indeed, indeed I say!;):t-cheers::bowdown:
  5. dekii97

dekii97 Member

The new Audi a6 looks stunning , it looks better than the rivals.
    i would rate it 9/10, for my BMW would be last it looks simple for my liking...

:banana:
  6. Human

The A6 TOTALLY lacks the POWERFUL PRESENCE of the BMW 5 Series and the A6 has an uninspiring, bland even VW tone all over;)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. MikeJ

MikeJ Global Moderator Staff Member

We can hear you, no need to shout.
    Anyway, I think the 5-series looks bloated in real life, whereas the new A6 looks sleek and sculpted. One of the best-looking cars currently in production if you ask me. :)
  8. klier

klier Member Premium Member

And if you ask me the A6 is ugly and comes distant last.
  9. Just_me

Just_me Well-Known Member

Okey then I have to say something as well :D

A6 has a nice looking front but the rear is a disaster, a sad looking rear.
    E-class has good front and nice interior but in some angles it looks like a freak. New 5er doesnt have an ugly design or weird angles, design POV its the best looking car. I just wish the car was 100 kg lighter.....

:D
    • Like Like x 2
  10. klier

klier Member Premium Member

...make that 200 kg, or even 300 kg. 1650 kg for a 535d sounds good :cool::cool:

One more thing I don't like about the new style Audi's: the interior. A8, A7 and A6 all are way over designed and just awkward :eusa_doh:
    • Like Like x 4
  11. Kowalski

Kowalski Well-Known Member

Well done Audi.
  12. K-A

K-A Banned

I await to drive the Audi, as if it's like the A7 with more headroom and airy-ness, it will be an awesome car to drive. I think the interior is a bit over-designed and appears cold in pics, and the screen and hideous gaps around it are.... well.... hideous, the fit and finish seems acceptable maybe by 80's standards.

I await to see whether the BMW or Audi come in at #2 for me.

Even without the AMG Pack, in this Vid, the E's exterior styling instantly came across as in an upper Class from the other two IMO, and the BMW is a great looking car, but I wish it was a little less bloated and hefty looking IRL. The Audi looks fresh, refreshingly simplistic, and evolutionary, while at the same time, dull, dated, and lacking in the sense of occasion that the Benz and Bimmer have.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Human

Didn't use one exclamation mark, only capital letters and that not even in bold;)
    What's the fuss about?:t-hands:

Oh sorry! You're an Audi fan:D
  14. martinbo

martinbo Global Moderator / Editor Staff Member

When you TRY and EMPHASIZE important words that are meant to GRAB ATTENTION through capitalisation - this is regarded as shouting and is considered as bad forum etiquette.

Usage of the text tools such as Bold, Underline and Italics should be used for:
    - Giving a graphical structure to a post e.g. Article Header in bold then normal text follows
    - Drawing attention to important facts or observations in a body of words such as a quote or article using underline
    - Generally accepted grammatical emphasis using italics

As a guideline the text tools should not be used draw attention to a point you're wishing to make.
    • Like Like x 8
  15. donkeykong

donkeykong Well-Known Member

Well done indeed,instead of getting it's props it gets bashed on this site,and at all things,for it's styling :confused:
  16. donkeykong

donkeykong Well-Known Member

Explain over designed,I don't understand what you mean by that.
  17. Monster

Monster Global Moderator Staff Member

I agree, especially with the interior of the A8, there are just way too many different textures, materials and shapes placed at random angles, the design isn't well integrated. It looks like everything inside of the interior is screaming for your attention.
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Just_me

Easier to comment on styling since you get what you see. Which of these three cars are the best is also a personal opinion. I like to make my own opinion rather listening to others. But since I only driven 5 and E I cant comment on the new A6 yet.

:t-cheers:
  19. Human

Never to old to learn, thanks for the lesson Martin. I will keep to a better forum etiquette and generally accepted grammatical emphasis using italics.

First time in my years on GCF that a mod used the words "no need to shout" in reply - Therefore I apologize to MikeJ for my sarcasm in reply.

I grew up in a German speaking house and went to a Afrikaans-medium (Afrikaans 1st / English 2nd Primary and High school + Attended a Afrikaans-medium University) And in the end the SHOUTING may come from my Germanic background.:D

Regards,
    Old sorry himself:D:D:D
    :t-cheers:
  20. Just_me

I'm used to shouting. Everytime I walk the street all chicks are shouting - Look, what a hunk, I want him

Difficult but hey what can I do :t-hands:
    • Like Like x 2