1. Please register to participate in our discussions with other members - it’s free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members.
    After you create your account, you’ll be able to customize options and access all our posts with fewer ads.

ROAD TESTS AutoBild: "The 5-minute-sportscar" - BMW i8 test

Discussion in 'BMW i' started by DeDe, Jul 6, 2014.

1. DeDe

DeDe Well-Known Member Contributing Member

AutoBild - BMW i8
    • 0-100 km/h with Launch Control (1st/5th attempt): 4,2 s/5,8 s
    • 180-250 km/h (with full battery/low battery): 17,3 s/41,4 s
    • Average range: 567 km (32 km in electric mode)
    • Fuel consumption (min.): 4,5 l/100 km
    • Fuel consumption (max. at 250 km/h): 29,9 l/100 km
    • Fuel consumption (average with E-engine/without E-engine): 5,6 l/100 km / 7,2 l/100 km

5ccae1a9d35ed7fdd657c856afad37f8.
    4a8112b53fee2b9844c9366a577a51ab.
    6234823bf9f866debaaa0e7b66f11faa.
    d9e87394778f4a7e08a56e65b1e8e11c.
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Betty Swollocks

Betty Swollocks Well-Known Member

What's the meaning behind "five-minute-sportscar"?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lafars

lafars Member

looking at the numbers: did they test it until the batteries were empty? there's a major difference in 1st attempt and 5th attempt and 180-250kph with full and low battery
    • Like Like x 1
  4. klier

klier Member

I think they mean that after driving hard for some time, the battery becomes weak and the car slow...

And looking at the list of 10 things they noticed....wow...so un-BMW, un-German and dare I say...un-finished. Very messy.
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. chonkoa

chonkoa Well-Known Member

Perhaps it means it is only a sports car for 5 minutes after which it morphed into an expensive lawn-mower.
    • Funny Funny x 5
  6. Cashmere

Cashmere Well-Known Member

Hah, if this turns out to be true it will be ironic for Scott because I clearly remember him undermining the Audi R8 and the SLS AMG as "10 minute" sports cars, implying that everyone would forget about them after their debut under the spotlights was over. After all the hype, the i8 get labeled "a 5 minute sports car", and that too by a German publication. Ouch.

In the last decade, BMW have axed halo products that inspired the racing pedigree behind the brand such as the M3/M6 CSL, Z4 M coupe. They forayed into the antithesis of what BMW historically stood for by introducing the X twins, endless crossovers, a FWD 2 series plastered with M badges. MB & Audi on the other hand capitalized on this opportunity by building thorough bred sports cars which have done nothing but bolster their respective images as sporty brands.

I appreciate BMWs' efforts with the "i brand" and regardless of whether these 1st generation cars turn out to be a flop or not, it is a step in the right direction. However, I still think that using the i8 as an excuse for not building a proper sports car was a lame one and maybe even detrimental for the brand and its core values in the long run. All the new segments may well have brought new buyers to the BMW brand and appeased shareholders but it has also lost many loyalists who have switched to rival brands in an era where differentiation is becoming increasingly difficult with BMW making small turbocharged engines that pipe audio via the speakers and AWD/FWD products.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1